The pass that nearly broke me

07 Mar 2019 13:52 #74735 by Riaang
Hi Richard,

Your first photo looks doesn't look familiar to me, I suspect we came in above this point.
Your photo 2 and 3 is the same spot, just below and above the rocky outcrop, and this is the section where I drew the yellow line, which I suspect is the highest and safest spot to enter the Manxome gully. From inside the gully you can walk on one of the two grassy ledges, on the other side there are also a couple of rockbands which, on pics I took from ChiChi bushcamp, looks possible. 

Once you go out of the gully you would have to go left for a good 25 - 30m or so, and then zig-zag down to the right. Would be great if you could check these out Richard, would definitely make for an easier and safer route into Manxome pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2019 15:55 #74739 by ghaznavid
I still need to hit Manxome Pass - but I have every intention of taking the lower approach rather than the exposed traverse. That looks really hairy!

More
08 Mar 2019 14:10 #74743 by Magan
Replied by Magan on topic The pass that nearly broke me

Here's a better look at that alternate entrance / exit point

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealDave

More
08 Mar 2019 14:13 - 08 Mar 2019 14:24 #74744 by Magan

I used same exit (I descended Manxome) as Stijn described, marked in yellow. Still had to negotiate some small rock bands to get to the riverbed.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 14:24 by Magan.

More
08 Mar 2019 14:20 #74745 by Magan
The Pass that broke me was my first attempt at Rwanqa. First time in Mnweni, stifling heat all the way to Five Star cave, cheap boots broken by the thick bush in Rwanqa valley and I beat a defeated retreat back.
I did go back and complete Rwanqa years later. Fantastic Pass, a real challenge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stijn

More