Hiking to the Lower Injisuthi Cave with Kids

12 Mar 2019 14:22 #74766 by Leone
Hello All. I would just like to know what the condition is,of the trail to the Lower Injisuthi Cave and is it still safe enough to hike
with kids?
We did the hike in 2014 with our then, 5 year old Daughter and 6 year old Son, but never made it and had to sleep in a tent. (Thank goodness we
carried it along for just in case).  It also rained for most of the day and it got very slippery. I think we were just around the corner from the cave but after a few slips we decided to rather stop and camp before one of us got hurt. We would like to hike that trail again over the Easter Weekend.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Does it usually rain over the Easter Weekend because the previous hike was also over the Easter Weekend? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2019 17:34 #74767 by firephish
Assuming your kids are now 10 & 11, i would say that LIC is a lot more doable than when they where 5 & 6, there is a path the whole way, but its a little indistinct towards the end.

However, if they are not used to hiking  and you just want to introduce them to the 'berg, maybe Wonder Valley Cave, or Grindstone Cave / Marble Baths Cave loop would be better?

More
12 Mar 2019 18:03 #74768 by Leone
Yes. They are 10 and 11 years old this year. We did the overnight Marble Baths Cave about 3 years ago with them and they did very well. Although we have not done any hiking since then. 
Thanks for the feedback. I will have a little read up of the other two caves. 
Thanks

More
13 Mar 2019 10:56 #74772 by Riaang
Hi Leone,

The kids should definitely be fine by now. I found that with mine, the deciding factor is weight. If I start overloading them they struggle, but with lighter weights they can go for hours.
The Berg had a lot of rain and everything is super green and overgrown at the moment, so even though there are paths most of the way, it could prove challenging finding them/walking on them. I was in the Mnweni area recently and the grasses were over my head, i.e. over 2m tall :-).

Regarding rainfall, it's difficult to predict with 100% certainty, but typically towards the end of April you are already over halfway into autumn and the rainfall should start to reduce. I also take the kids regularly over the Easter weekend to the Berg and we've had nice sunshine as well as overcast weather. Last year at Injasuthi we had very light rain on and off, but mostly just mist. Definitely take the tent along as the Berg creates its own weather so there is always a chance of rainfall, although it is definitely lower in April than say in Feb.

Grindstone and marble bath caves as mentioned are nice options, but you could also consider going up Van Heyenings pass to Wonder Valley caves, or you could go up to Centenary hut and tent on the flat area in front of the (dilapidated) hut.

Just one last thing to consider in the Injasuthi area, if there has been a lot of rainfall just prior to your hike weekend, the rivers could be full and it might force you to consider another route option.

Enjoy!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leone

More
13 Mar 2019 12:25 #74774 by Leone
Thank you so much for the info. We all very excited.
Is there any other overnight hikes that you can also recommend. We left it a bit late to book the camp site and there is another family of 4 with kiddies wanting to join us. And there seem to be only enough space left for one tent at the Injisuthi Camp site. 

More
13 Mar 2019 16:22 #74781 by Leone
woohooo. its all booked and sorted for the overnight hiking trip to the Lower Injisuthi Cave.
Kids are very excited and Yayyyy for me :-) I have something to use as "Treat" to keep kids on the straight and narrow for next 5 weeks hehehe 
If anyone is camping/hiking at Injisuthi over the Easter weekend.. please pop over and say hi (I make a MEAN cup of coffee). 

More