Drakensberg In Trail Runners?

20 Apr 2019 20:57 #74912 by cuzzybubba
Thoughts on hiking in the Drakensbergs in trail runner shoes? I am an ultra light hiker coming to visit the first week of June. I am planning a three day hike, (still deciding on the trail path) with my total pack weight at 12 kg.  I was wondering if it is possible to hike it in trail runners  or are hiking boots a necessity. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 08:38 #74913 by Grandeur
Welcome to VE cuzzybubba

In a nutshell, yes trail shoes are fine. I myself only hike in trail shoes and often have a pack heavier than 12kg when I take photography equipment with. Use what you normally use. 

There is is plenty of info available on these forums. Use the search function to look for specific things. 

Not sure what your experience level is like but I would encourage you to make sure that you have sufficient other equipment to ensure your hiking experience is enjoyable and safe. Enjoy your trip! 

More
25 Apr 2019 12:33 #74927 by Riaang
Hi cuzzybubba

The short answer to your question is yes - people hike the Berg in any type of footwear (the resident Basothoes even use gumboots).
For a 12kg pack they should be fine, however, 2 questions for you (the answers might prompt you to rather go for boots).
Q1 - Do you plan to stay on paths or do you plan on doing bundu bashing. There are a lot of places in the Berg where the terrain (off-path) is quite rough where trail running shoes can get damaged and
Q2 - Weather conditions. If it snows your feet will freeze, but for all other weather trail runners are fine - they definitely dry out quicker than leather boots!

Enjoy!!!

More
25 Apr 2019 15:00 #74935 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Drakensberg In Trail Runners?
+1. Depends on route. If you venture into loose terrain, bush, boulders, rock gullies, etc., shoes can take a beating.

More