September or October

01 Jul 2019 19:50 #75126 by sibr
September or October was created by sibr
Hi all, 
I want to take some novices up to Injusuthi caves in September or October. A couple of people have warned me that it could potentially be too cold still for novices. can someone please give me some advice around this?
thanks 
Si

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2019 20:10 #75127 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic September or October
Which Injisuthi cave?
Either way though, it all depends on gear, and the weather at the time

More
01 Jul 2019 20:51 #75128 by Herman
Replied by Herman on topic September or October
I guess it depends on whether you get a cold front or not. I've done it at that time, and water scarcity was our biggest problem.

More
03 Jul 2019 08:22 #75131 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic September or October
Like Smurf said, you can get warm temps in June, snow in November... Check the forecast.

More
04 Jul 2019 21:31 #75134 by sibr
Replied by sibr on topic September or October
most likely lower caves, i cant remember if i ever found the upper ones :)

More
11 Jul 2019 11:46 #75144 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic September or October
Hi Sibr,

This period is typically the colder part of the year, so night time temperatures can (and often do) drop below freeing. It all depends on the weather. If nice sunshine only then often the lower berg drops to around freezing level, but on the escarpment be prepared for sub-zero night time temperatures. If it snows everywhere is sub-zero. 

What I normally advise berg newbies to do is to make sure you have a decent sleeping bag. Even if you don't have a super warm jacket, you can still get into your sleeping bag and have a comfortable (although early) night. Daytime temperatures are mostly comfortable, except in higher wind conditions. Again, conditions on top of the escarpment is then generally colder than on the lower berg.

Don't let the weather put you off though, just take enough warm gear along and everyone should be fine. 

Enjoy!!!

More