Photography Hikes

16 Mar 2020 18:05 #75765 by Richard Hunt
I have a plan to photograph the Walls of the Drakensberg during 2020, both from the bottom and from the top. I will go to places where these walls are not normally photographed from and attempt unique angles. The following are the Walls I have in mind and if there are any I have missed out, please let me know:
Long Wall
Trojan Wall
Red Wall
Black & Tan Wall
Singati Wall

Attached is my plan of hikes and if anyone wants to join me , please email me at  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please login or register to view the files attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2020 03:41 #75773 by Drakie1
Replied by Drakie1 on topic Photography Hikes
Interesting project. I would like to join you on these hikes. 
During Easter weekend I will be taking a group of friends up Giant's pass to Giant's Castle Peak and back via Langalibalele. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Hunt

More
18 Mar 2020 15:05 #75775 by Nicolaas
Replied by Nicolaas on topic Photography Hikes
Hi Richard, I'm sure the photos will be stunning. Closer to time I could be interested in joining one of the Mnweni hikes

More
10 Sep 2020 10:07 #76044 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Photography Hikes
The photography hiking was put on hold due to Covid, but this last week we had an opportunity to do a hike at Mnweni. Serious Tribe, Elinda and myself went up Ntonjelana Pass and came down Black & Tan North Pass with very heavy backpacks for a 6 day hike and the weather was great for photos. I am sure Elinda will put up a detailed write up and Serious Tribe will have some serious images as he normally does.
This is the link to see my photos...
https://spark.adobe.com/page/1unKARamcjIuc/
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, hikingle, Smurfatefrog, supertramp, Riaang, Andreas, WarrenM

More
11 Sep 2020 08:55 #76053 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Photography Hikes
Hi Richard
Thanks for posting the trip images, nice. Am excited to sort my edits, will start next week I guess with the 'serious' ones. I will though go through the G1x images so Elaine can put up the trip report. You must ave been burning the candle over the last few nights! It was a leaker but tough 6 days. Tough because we seemed to be running at full throttle all the time what with many hours of walking then shooting etc...

More
11 Sep 2020 12:39 #76055 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Photography Hikes
Nice to see that North Black and Tan Wall Pass has attracted some interest. Hope you all enjoyed it and look forward to seeing the photos.

More
13 Sep 2020 10:51 #76061 by GetaPix
Replied by GetaPix on topic Photography Hikes
Lovely photos and thanks for sharing this.

More
13 Sep 2020 11:41 - 13 Sep 2020 12:07 #76062 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Photography Hikes
6 Day Photographic Hike - Mnweni

Although I’m very much an amateur photographer, I jumped at the chance of joining Richard and Serious Tribe ( Karl Beath ) on a 6 day photographic hike in the mountains. The plan was to spend time walking and photographing areas which previously, we have just bypassed . We ascended Ntonjelane Pass, headed northwards and descended 5 days later down North Black and Tan Pass. The latter would be a new Pass for all of us with Tony Marshall strongly recommending that we try this, so the prospect was quite exciting.

Day one - Mnweni Cultural Centre to Ntonjelane Pass

We met bright and early at the Centre and arranged a lift to the end of the Rockeries Valley road. Having done this trek a few times before, we thought we would save ourselves a 5km walk with heavy packs. Carrying photographic gear as well as 6 days worth of food is quite daunting and we felt a short day would help ‘acclimatise' ourselves to the weight. It was a beautiful warm day and Spring had most definitely arrived with the vivid red Mountain Bottlebrush starting to flower. We made our way up the Ntonjelane Valley, stopping at Waterfall Cave which I had never seen before. Even at this dry time of year before the Spring rains, the waterfall was flowing and I should imagine would be an impressive sight in the height of Summer. The cave behind the waterfall was not impressive, hard to get to and very sandy. The little forest glade below would be a better bet, and has space for 2 or three tents. From here we went a little further and after scouting around for a while, found a hidden spot below the main path in which to put up our tents.

Heading up the Ntonjelane Valley

Mountain Bottlebrush

Waterfall Cave is in the centre of the photo

Waterfall Cave

Tent spot

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 13 Sep 2020 12:07 by elinda.

More
13 Sep 2020 11:46 - 13 Sep 2020 12:08 #76063 by elinda
Day two - Ntonjelane Pass to North/South Peak

Today would be a long day and we set off under clear blue skies. Ntonjelane is not a difficult pass at all, but it is long and winds its way up a ridge before heading left on a contour, heading over a small saddle and then the final short climb to the escarpment. We stopped to take photographs as we climbed and met various locals along the way as this is a major thoroughfare. We were quite impressed to find a strong young man carrying a large Solar panel on his back! He was very proud of his new acquisition and uncovered it to show us before continuing upwards. We had lunch at the saddle and then completed the last section which, on tired legs felt never ending. From here we headed northwards and over into the little valley before the main North and South peak valley. There were some spectacular views of North and South Peaks from this angle, and as water was plentiful ( and we were tired!) it was decided to call it a day and put up our tents. The afternoon was spent photographing and walking along the escarpment edge, enjoying the views. There was no wind at all and the temperature was mild which made for very pleasant conditions.

Start of Ntonjelane Pass

Getting there!

View from the saddle

Approaching our tent spot

Plenty of water.....

North and South Peaks

Last edit: 13 Sep 2020 12:08 by elinda.

More
13 Sep 2020 11:50 #76064 by elinda
Day 3 - North/South Peak to Hanging Valleys

After a windless day beforehand, the wind made its presence known during the night, blowing strongly as dawn broke. Undeterred, the professionals were out early with their tripods and cameras, whilst I elected to stay in the tent as I am not a fan of cold wind! However, it died down as the sun rose higher and we set off in calm conditions. We crossed the ridge into North/South peak valley and enjoyed the views from the top. Here we saw a lone hiker with a small pack approaching us along the ridge and wondered where they had come from and where they were headed. It was great to meet you Warren and hats off to you for what you achieved that day! We walked along the escarpment edge between North and South Peak before heading off past the top of Nguza Pass and then dropping down into the Mnweni valley. We cut straight across the Mnweni valley to join the path that winds around the cutback - this took some time and reminded me yet again that these valleys are so much bigger than they appear on the map! As we approached the Hanging Valleys we came across a large group of ladies that were on a multi day hike with a guide and porters. We stopped and chatted with them and it was interesting to hear that they were a mixture of foreign and local women, with the foreign ladies currently working in the country. We had wanted to set up tent in the valley directly in front of Ukikicane and were pleased to find that the river there was still flowing. We spent some time finding a suitable tent spot and then enjoyed the spectacular views. The Hanging Valleys is a remarkable geological feature of the Berg and well worth spending time at.

View from the ridge looking into North/south Peak valley

Karl contemplating the view with South Peak in the background

Approaching Rockeries

Sunset over the Hanging Valleys

More