Photography Hikes

13 Sep 2020 11:55 #76065 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Photography Hikes
Day 4 - Hanging Valleys to Mnweni Pinnacles

We woke to a whiteout which started clearing and made for some amazing photography with the mist swirling in and out of the turrets below us. Today would be a short day as we did not have far to go to the Pinnacles and we walked along the ridge above the Mnweni highway. The mist had now settled to just below the escarpment and KZN was covered by this inversion. Our first sight of the Pinnacles appeared like sharks fins in a sea of fog and was to remain like this for the remainder of the day. We set up camp on the buttress between the North and South Black and Tan passes which afforded scenic views in spite of the mist below us. We had spotted a river in the Lesotho valley opposite Pins pass on the way, so Richard went and collected water. He didn’t have to go too far down - overall we found water not to be a problem on this trip. As the afternoon went on we could see weather coming in from Lesotho and it became overcast with some dark clouds about. During the night it grew colder with some rain showers, and then we heard snow falling on the tents. It was not a lot, but contributed towards interesting scenes for the next mornings photography.

Men at work!

Hanging Valleys

View of the Cutback from the ridge

First view of the Pins

Sunset

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2020 12:02 #76066 by elinda
Day 5 - Mnweni Pinnacles - North Black and Tan Pass

Even I was up early for the sunrise this morning and it was totally worth it - really awesome views! The mist had disappeared entirely and it was going to be another perfect day. It was a short walk over to the top of the pass, and we found the first section the standard grassy slope with some boulders , about 45 degrees. After making our way around one or two obstacles, we reached an area that had been burnt, which in a way made the going easier, but at the same time more care had to be taken with sandy loose conditions underfoot and blackened spiky branches catching your clothing. It was very inspiring to see the huge pinnacles and turrets towering above us. We could see the two large waterfalls that are side by side us below, and the descent towards these was tiring as there is a large boulder bed to get through, the ground is steep and at times we had to make our way through head high chi chi bushes. We crossed the right waterfall and made our way on to the steep grassy slopes which we had to stay on for some time to by pass the twin arm of waterfall as well as the one a little further below it. By this time I was getting tired and lunch break was needed. We dropped into the river bed and enjoyed the fabulous views above and around us, before continuing on in the river bed. The boulderhopping continues for a while with the river dropping further down in to the valley. Eventually we exited the river on to the left hand bank just before the ridge from Rwanqa pass joins in. We had hoped to find a suitable tent spot in this area, but the entire valley has been recently burnt, so we made our way down to the Mnweni River before putting up our tents in the river bed below Shepherds Cave.

Spectacular morning views

Sunrise

Top of North Black and Tan Pass

The following images of North Black and Tan pass are courtesy of Serious Tribe

More
13 Sep 2020 12:06 #76067 by elinda
Day 6 - Back to Mnweni Cultural Centre

On entering the Mnweni River Valley from Rwanqa we started coming across numerous bright pink ribbons that had been tied on to the trees and bushes, and surmised that these were the trail markers for the Mnweni Marathon which had taken place a few days before. As we made our way back to the Centre, we saw more and more of them, highly visible and rather unsightly in this wilderness area. We spoke to Colleen at the Centre who informed us that someone had been paid, presumably by KZN Trail Running, to put these up and to take them down. She sounded very surprised that they had still not been taken away and said she would speak to the person concerned. It is hoped that that this will be done in due course.

We really enjoyed our 6 days in the Berg, and were spoilt with the weather and photographic opportunities. Thanks Karl and Richard for truly memorable hike, and also to Tony for encouraging us to try the new Pass.

Last nights tent site

Mountain Bottlebrush

Farewell Mnweni

Pink Carnation Trail!

Thanks guys!

More
14 Sep 2020 21:12 #76072 by GetaPix
Replied by GetaPix on topic Photography Hikes
Enjoyed the write up thanks. Food for soul in an office and makes one look forward to planned hikes

More
15 Sep 2020 18:40 #76074 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Photography Hikes
Back from a photography shoot of the Rhino/Garden Castle for those interested.
Here is the link to my photos & story
The Rhino Photo Shoot

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, elinda, supertramp, WarrenM

More
17 Sep 2020 11:39 - 17 Sep 2020 11:51 #76087 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Photography Hikes
There have been a number of images loaded for this trip by Richard and Elaine. So have loaded images from my G1Xiii that are different ito content and how i have edited them using quite strong vignettes for effect. I will add a few additional images once I have edited the 5d files.

So the first selection is up the Ntonjelana Valley and Pass including the first two nights. This is a long slog of a pass!

Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 11:51 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Richard Hunt, Riaang

More
17 Sep 2020 11:41 - 17 Sep 2020 11:48 #76088 by Serious tribe
Across the escarpment, past North and South Peak, Hanging Valleys and Pinnacles.

Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 11:48 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda

More
17 Sep 2020 11:44 - 17 Sep 2020 12:01 #76089 by Serious tribe
Down Black & Tan North Variation and back home. The upper part of the pass is an easy grass ramp which then becomes quite rocky and bushy about a third of the way down. Lots of Chichi Bushes, which were fortunately burnt along a very steep sandy spur which we had to carefully descend. The grass ramps diverting around the waterfalls are steep, especially when you are coming down the pass, so if you don't like steep exposed slopes with drop offs, don't come down this pass. I found it quite exhilarating, but demanded your attention and really enjoyed being able to view the Pinnacles from below when I wasn't concentrating on where I put my feet. Going up looks steep and with the bush not burnt, route finding looked difficult, so well done to Tony for getting up here.

Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 12:01 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, Stijn, tonymarshall, Richard Hunt, GriffBaker, Flippie

More
17 Sep 2020 11:53 #76090 by GetaPix
Replied by GetaPix on topic Photography Hikes
Fantastic thanks Karl

More
17 Sep 2020 19:37 #76092 by elinda
Beautiful images Karl- makes me want to do this hike again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

More