Photography Hikes

17 Sep 2020 19:43 #76093 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Photography Hikes
Great images Karl. They have much depth and make a bold statement...whipping up my mountain taste buds....well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2020 11:19 - 18 Sep 2020 11:50 #76094 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Photography Hikes
Thanks guys, it was great to do a photo centric trip with fellow photogogs, though it certainly wasn't a walk in the park. Though know the feeling of berg DT's. I heard a quote the other day, which goes something like - I suffer from altitude sickness when I am at sea level!
Last edit: 18 Sep 2020 11:50 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Hunt

More
29 Nov 2020 09:22 #76339 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Photography Hikes
I will do anything to take photos and discover new places in the Drakensberg Mountains. The top of the escarpment is where we all aim for, but in the lower reaches there are many gems. There are not many places in the Drakensberg that I have not been to, and Mzimude Gorge was one of them. I just called it Mzimude Gorge because it is a gorge with no name and under the watchful eye of Mzimude Peak. It is an area between Secret cave and Wave cave that not people go to, also with no paths. My planned access up a ridge behind Wave Cave area did not work out as there were some steep rock bands and being by myself did not want to take a chance. So, I walked past Secret Cave and then up the steep hill directly above Secret Cave, onto the plateau above and made my way along the side of Mzimude Gorge. It’s an amazing place with a water fall at the head of the gorge and other smaller ones along the edge. The weather was very overcast and dark the entire hike, so not ideal light for photography. The evening temp went down to 3 degrees, and I spent a cool night in my 0-degree sleeping bag. According to the weather forecast the next morning was meant to be misted in, but I was excited to see good visibility for sunrise photos. The one photo I took with the sunrise, the sun burst lasted 2 minutes and then sun was gone for the rest of the day. That was a shot of good timing, as if a heavenly portal opened for 2 mins just for my one shot. The highlight for me besides the gorge were all the orange Watsonias which were in magnificent bloom. Thank you, Jesus!!
There are too photos for this page so please go to this link to view them Mzimude Gorge Photos

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, Stijn, JonWells, GetaPix, hikingle, Smurfatefrog, supertramp, Riaang, Nicolaas

More
02 Dec 2020 08:54 #76341 by Serious tribe
Blooming great Richard. Amazing to see so many Watsonia's in flower.

More
02 Dec 2020 14:01 - 02 Dec 2020 14:05 #76345 by Serious tribe
So after a few months of waiting for my mac to be repaired and the finally editing the 5d images, here are my images from the September trip I did with Richard and Elaine. These next few are the day before climbing Ntonjelana and then on top.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 02 Dec 2020 14:05 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riaang

More
02 Dec 2020 14:06 - 02 Dec 2020 14:11 #76346 by Serious tribe
The next batch are at our campsite above the pinnacles. We had some interesting weather come through the day before, some nice cloud and then sunset. The evening brought some snow and then the following morning was quite superb, though some heavier snow would have been nicer...

Last edit: 02 Dec 2020 14:11 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp, Nicolaas, MattBouch

More
02 Dec 2020 14:13 #76347 by Serious tribe
Back to the tent for a last shot before packing away and heading down the pass.

More
07 Dec 2020 10:47 #76352 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Photography Hikes
Stunning!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

More
07 Dec 2020 10:51 - 07 Dec 2020 10:52 #76353 by Riaang
We did an easy hike in the berg last weekend - Up Tseke, slept in Easter cave and then the Sunday morning down Mlambonja pass and 1TreeHill. I snapped a couple of pics of some flowers next to the footpath. The diversity surprised me, and I saw a flower I've never seen before. Can anybody please advise what is the pink one called (the Lilly-like one).

Last edit: 07 Dec 2020 10:52 by Riaang.

More
07 Dec 2020 10:53 #76354 by Riaang

More