Corner Pass / Judge Pass, Mafadi, Leslie's Pass Loop

19 Aug 2019 20:26 #75265 by Smurfatefrog

wildingo wrote: Hi VE Community,

I'm planning a hike in mid/late September and I'd like some feedback on the my proposed route.

The plan is to do a circular hike, starting from Injisuthi camp.  Day one to Marble Baths or surrounds.  Day two hike up Leslie's Pass and camp one night at the top, then descend via Corner pass, camp at Centenary hut, and then Day 4 hike back to Injisuthi.

A couple of questions:
1) Are there better variations on this hike--in terms of places to camp overnight--proximity to water, scenery, spreading the effort over the 4 days etc? 
2) Will water be readily available at the top of Leslie's pass in mid September?
3) Would it be better to do the route clockwise--up Corner pass, and down Leslies?
4)I've read a bit on the forums and it seems their is a need in places at Leslie's pass for a bit of bushwhacking. How bad is this and should I consider another pass for my circular hike, for example up Judges Pass and down Corner Path?
5) Are there any suitable caves to camp in at the top of Leslie's pass, or Corner pass if going clockwise?
6) I'm also not great with exposure (I found the route to the top via The Camel a bit daunting)--are the above routes better, in terms of exposure?

We are reasonably fit--we recently did a 25km circular day hike in the little Berg, starting at Injisuthi, up Catharact valley and then back to Injisuthi via Grindstone caves.  Will the hike up to Marble Baths be similar to hiking up and out of Catharact valley?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Welcome Chris

This is a good thread to read which will answer a lot of your info:  www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakenberg-hiking-injisuthi/53639-corner-pass-judge-pass,-mafadi,-leslie-s-pass-loop.html

1 + 3) Better to do up Corner and down Leslies, with nights at Centenary hut, Upper Injisuthi cave and base of Leslies / Marble Baths. Corner pass is much easier to go up than down
2) Yes, in the valley behind the pass
4) It shouldn't be too bad in September, and if you get a track you can get most of the way with minimal bushwacking
6) Read up on Corner pass, it has a few scrambles where rope is normally used, for packs at least

Fitness, a 25km little berg day hike is completely different to a 4 day escarpment hike. If you haven't done any Drakensberg passes before I'd advise doing something easier first.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2019 06:46 #75266 by wildingo
Thanks very much for this sage advice.

Chris

More
21 Aug 2019 10:37 #75271 by Riaang
Hi Chris,

Welcome to VE :-)

Your route is entirely doable over 4 days - in fact, 2 years ago we did nearly the exact route with my kids (then aged 12 and 10). We just went a little bit further, up to Bannermans cave for night 3 and then down Langies pass. Couple of things to take note of, then I'll get into more detail.
  • Whichever way you go, break the ascent up into 2 days. Day 1 to somewhere on the lower berg, day 2 push to the top. I've taken couch potatoes up to the escarpment this way. Granted, it took forever, but then you have the whole day to get to the top.
  • Group size matters. You didn't specify the number of hikers in your group, note that caves have size limitations. If you take a group of 30 hikers up no cave will be suitable.
  • End of Sep is often very dry if it hasn't started raining yet, but most prominent rivers on the escarpment will have water. However, ascending the passes you will probably find the last bit of water before you start at the foot of the pass, only to find water on the escarpment again. You might also have to walk into Lesotho a bit for water if it is really dry. When in doubt, rather fill up and carry water. i've had hikes where we only found water at the end of the day, which wasn't fun. Had I known the situation I would have carried enough water even though it is heavier. You know what they say - hindsight is the perfect science :-)
If you have an issue with heights then Corner pass might be a challenge for you. Especially going down the pass. There are 3 scrambles on the chimney section, none too difficult and no serious exposure risks either, but Judges pass has no such issues. In any event, Corner up is way better than down. I prefer going up Leslies, it is covered with loose rock end pebbles, resulting in lots of bum slides if you don't concentrate. I did Leslies 3 days ago (i.e. this past Saturday) and landed on my behind 3 times. It's steep in places, but going up you can pull on small shrubs etc.

I would rather go up Leslies and down Judges than the other way around. For a typical 4 day hike (ours was 3 days) I would do the following:
D1 - Injasuthi camp to Marble baths or the campsite at the bottom of Leslies.
D2 - Start as early as possible. The first part of the trek up the riverbed is ok, mild bundubashing (if Ships could be like this it would be heaven!). Stay on the right as you ascend, there is a decent path for a good 1km or so. Then the flat riverbank on the right disappears and you are forced into the riverbed. Following cairns is actually useless at this point, as people seem to have packed them all along the riverbed. We eventually gave up trying to find the path and just followed the river. A bit of rock-hopping but the water level was low so easy. Another 1km upwards and you should find a section of nice flat riverbank on your right again, and here you can pick up the path again. The path is close to the edge of the side on the right. Lots of water up to the base of the ridge at the bottom of Leslies, then nothing till we got off the ridge and into the pass. Soon after this section the water dried up completely till you get to the top of Leslies.
We found lost of water all the way along the escarpment in the valleys, right from the top of Leslies and then as you travel south quite far up towards the ridge coming down Mafadi. If your legs still has enough strength then climb up the ridge and check out the view from Mafadi. Else, follow the valley floor south and stay low, climbing up to Upper Injasuthi Cave (which is still high at around 3350m ASL, but about 100m ASL below the top of Mafadi). Note there is a river flowing down from Injasuthi dome's side to the Eastern Buttress, where it drops off the escarpment. If you come in low, go to it first, else you will have to climb down from the cave to fetch water.

If you have any concern about D2 then rather sleep at the bottom of the ridge coming of Leslies. It's 3,4km closer to the start of the pass, and about 150m ASL higher than Marble bath cave. D2 will be the tough day of your adventure. 

D3 - You might want to sleep in till the sun wakes you up after D2, which involved a lot of climbing. D3 is a much easier day on the lungs, but your legs will feel it at the end of the day. You just need to hop over the Trojan wall, drop down into the valley and top up with water before you start the descent down Judges pass. Be careful at the bottom of Judges as there is no cairn or discernible path (nothing noticeable last time I was there, could be different now) to indicate that you need to turn left onto the contour path. If I remember correctly, the turning point is at around 2200m ASL (check your map to make 100% sure). If you miss it you will continue walking down the ridge wondering when you will ever reach the bottom of the pass. Yo uwill pick up the contour path a couple of hundred meters after you get off the ridge if I remember correctly.

From the contour path it's fairly easy walking to Centenary hut. It's not flat though, the path climbs and drops more than you would like it to. Centenary dump, I mean hut, is starting to become more dilapidated by the day. The place is falling apart, so don't bank on using it as a shelter. We saw some pieces of the roof a couple of hundred meters down the valley towards Corner pass when we ascended the Northern High Approach (and before you ask, this route has a rather serious scramble 3/4 of the way up, so if you have issues with exposure on scrambles don't consider it, especially descending it). You can find a reliable stream of water close to the hut. Actually, there are 2 places to fetch waterfrom, I'll advise on both. The one I regularly use is the one towards Corner pass. When you stand in front of the hut, looking at the escarpment, you will notice a path going up to the hill directly in front of you. Follow this path for about 20m from the hut, then you need to get off it onto another faint path branching out to the left at an angle, basically staying on the same level as the hut. Follow it for about 250m till you cross the stream. The other option is to stand at the back of the hut, on the rocky outcrop, facing away from the escarpment. If you look down and to your left you will see a couple of streams below you. Slightly closer to the hut but it involves some steep climbing, which I rarely have the willpower to do once I've settled in at the hut. 

D4 - An easy hike back down to Injasuthi camp. Just Heartbreak hill that will give your legs a nice warmup. Lots of water from it's bottom all the way to camp.

Enjoy!!!

More
26 Aug 2019 15:04 #75283 by wildingo
Thank you very much for this information.  VE is such a wonderful resource--people like yourself take the time to give advice!

I think it will be up Leslie's and down Judges (to avoid too much exposure).

I will write up the hike and post photos once done.

Chris

More