Beginner hiker looking to do a short multi-day hike

01 Dec 2021 18:00 - 01 Dec 2021 18:01 #77334 by ACKi
Hello everyone

I am a relatively new hiker looking to go on a short multi-day hike in Injisuthi. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with route recommendations? Preferably I would like to not sleep in caves in the evenings as I am a student on a tight budget (I have a tent). If you have any other suggestions for routes outside of the Injisuthi area I would appreciate that as well!
Last edit: 01 Dec 2021 18:01 by ACKi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2021 21:17 #77335 by Smurfatefrog
Wondering why you would not like to sleep in caves for budget purposes?
A night out in the berg in a tent or in a cave is the same cost

More
01 Dec 2021 21:55 #77336 by ACKi
I thought that you have to pay to book a cave for an evening? If that is not the case then I don’t mind sleeping there if it makes things easier.

More
02 Dec 2021 05:05 #77337 by intrepid
Hi ACKi,
For Injisuthi you do pay upfront when making a booking for one of their listed caves, however this counts towards the hiking fees you would have to pay anyway on arrival. For other parts of the Berg you normally just book the caves over the phone and pay the hiking fees on arrival.

Have a look at existing threads in our  Injisuthi section to get some ideas going.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
06 Dec 2021 10:08 #77344 by Riaang
Hi ACKi

You pay a standard overnight fee in the Berg, irrespective of wether you sleep in a tent, bivvy, out in the open under the stars or in a cave. The reason for booking a cave is so that other hikers will know if the cave is open or occupied for the night. Note that this only applies to lower berg caves - anything on the escarpment is on a first come first served basis. Note that you might have to share a cave with anyone, and they might arrive at any time during the night.

I prefer caves to tents as A) I carry less weight and B) I find caves much more social than tents. Also, at 1,97m tall I'm not really comfortable in a tent - even in my 2,2m long tent I have to sleep sideways, whereas in a cave I can often stretch out fully, which means a better night for me.

Whatever option you go for, enjoy the Berg!!!

More
06 Dec 2021 15:39 #77345 by Beard
Yo
Disclaimer - if you intend on summiting, consider all hikes tough. Below are routes i have done, im sure there are tons of options.
Option 1
Day one - start at INjisuthi hutted camp, go up to marble baths, swim to your hearts content. Push on to base of Leslies pass (rock hopping) and camp for the night in tent.
Day 2 - Wake and up ascend Leslie's pass. Tent up on top to wake up for maximum awesome views.
Day 3 - Come down the same way, knowing marble baths is waiting for you.

Options 2
Day 1 - start at hutted camp, go up heartbreak hill and head towards Centenary hut - camp near hut in tent.
Day 2- you can chose here, take direct UP route to Corner Pass (which requires a little bit of rope for confidence) OR head on contour path to Corner Pass and ascend Corner Pass, really skinny pass, super cool. Ideal to move across north towars Leslies Pass and tent on top for max view.
Day 3 - Wake up and go down Leslie's wiht marble baths waiting for swim and drinks - to the hutted camp

Side note, wiht GAIA APP (Free) you can drop pins on the tenting areas and thus watch your pace. Its free and no data needed and only engaged GPS when you open the app. Also game change for marking tops of passes to COME DOWN and never miss one - its not always easy to note which pass to come down, as from ON top they all look 'doable'

More
09 Dec 2021 15:12 #77366 by ACKi
Thank you all! Will start preparing for my hike and plan a route that a couple of my friends and I will do somewhere next year. Ending at Marble Baths sounds really nice :-)  

Thank you for all the help!

More