Isicatula Pass

13 Jan 2019 01:38 - 13 Jan 2019 02:01 #74526 by intrepid
Isicatula Pass was created by intrepid
This is the official thread for Isicatula Pass.

To start off the thread I am simply drawing on content that already exists on the site. Members are encouraged to add more content.

Description

The Isicatula pass is an easy way off Walker's ridge; but it descends WESTWARDS into Lesotho, not KZN as one would hope after a heavy hike! The head of the pass is where a prominent dolerite dyke begins; one actually descends alongside the dyke as though it were a great handrail or ballustrade. One either leaves the Isicatula gulley lower down, contour to the head of Saddle nek then bundu-bash down to the Bushmans stream; or follow the Isicatula gulley all the way down to the base of Thaba Ngwangwa which one circumnavigates on its western aspect, to either reach the head of Bushman's Pass, or across to Thamathu Pass. Hope this makes sense. (It was so named after the soles of a commando soldier's boots came adrift when recce'ing the area as possible "terrorist attack route"!!)

Quoted from the ´╗┐Across the Dragon's Back in Six Days thread

Photo

From Thaba Ngwangwe

Quoted from the Andre's Knob thread. Isicatula Pass is the obvious gully to the left of the photo - the groove between the sunny and shaded slopes.

GPS data

Downloadable GPS track

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 02:01 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AndrewP, Papa Dragon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2019 06:05 #74540 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Isicatula Pass
From the top of Saddle Nek Pass we approached Isicatula Pass on a higher level which took us into Isicatula towards the top. We used this route to go to Corn Cob Cave.

More
08 Nov 2020 12:42 #76276 by AnoukBaars
Replied by AnoukBaars on topic Isicatula Pass
Hi Thanks for the info above.
I was wondering do you need to go through the gully which is very narrow and rocky or could one also go via the grass slope either west ( nearing Cave Kraal) or east of it? Did it at night so I am sure trying to make sure the gully is the 'fastest/ easiest ' way down?
Thanks! Anouk

More
08 Nov 2020 14:37 #76278 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Isicatula Pass
Hey Anouk, the easiest way is down the ridge to the west. The line we followed is in pink which was very easy going down grass slopes.

Also... once you're down you can save a bit of distance by sticking on the slopes of Thaba Ngwangwe rather than crossing the river like I see you guys did

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AnoukBaars

More
09 Nov 2020 11:14 #76283 by TheRealDave
Replied by TheRealDave on topic Isicatula Pass
Looking up the pass:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
09 Nov 2020 11:23 #76284 by AnoukBaars
Ooh Thanks Merv! Yes I see what you did! Very helpful. I think you and I need to go over some maps- have a few more questions. will take note!

More
09 Nov 2020 11:27 #76286 by AnoukBaars
Thanks Dave. But this looks more like you go up via the East side of the Gully? or is it my imagination?

More
09 Nov 2020 11:40 #76288 by TheRealDave
Replied by TheRealDave on topic Isicatula Pass
Yes, that is the east side. The pic is just for reference so you can make an informed decision. Either side will work and will definitely be faster/easier than the stream bed.

More