Namahadi Corner Pass

24 Jan 2018 09:08 #72687 by ghaznavid
So between Hobbit writing his last matric finals paper and starting his new job (a gap of about 10 days), we hit the Free State Drakensberg with some very ambitious plans. We had both had a very busy year and ended up aimlessly doing nothing for 5 days, covering only 54km in that time. I say nothing, but we bagged 5 khulus that he hadn't bagged yet, and we bagged two passes that neither of us had done - so not exactly nothing. And I think a few days of chilling away from civilization was good for both of us.

Anyway - we decided to go down a random gully just south of Namahadi Corner Peak. There are two obvious gullies between Namahadi Corner and Mom, this is the northern one, immediately south of Namahadi Corner itself.

This pass was easy, very gentle. There is a small cliff band high up, you can downclimb a difficult chockstone or traverse around an exposed corner on steep grass to get through it. The rest of the pass is pretty tame.

There was a storm rolling in, and we found a flattish spot with a small rock pool, so we pitched the tent at 2700m on the pass, and spent the night there. The spot wasn't as flat as it looked, so neither of us had an amazing night sleep that night!

We left the gully at about 2600m to traverse south - we knew we would be heading up somewhere in the cutback, so we decided to skip a corner!

Our route down to the river was fairly steep, but nothing too serious.

Topo on this pass isn't really necessary - it is fairly simple to work out. It is only that one obstacle high up in the gully - and annoyingly I didn't get a photo of it.

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2018 09:09 #72688 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Namahadi Corner Pass

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall, AndrewP, Dave, WarrenM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More