Rhino Pass

12 Jul 2019 08:48 #75146 by Gudstff
Replied by Gudstff on topic Rhino Pass
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether the pass is doable this time of the year?

The thread mentions ice build up, but not sure how much or if it would force us to turn around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2019 11:09 #75147 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Rhino Pass
Hi Gudstff,

I went up Rhino Pass last Thursday. Some of the pools had ice on them, there were a lot of interesting ice crystals around, and iced waterfalls where trickles from sidestreams came into the main valley, but no significant ice anywhere blocking the pass route. I would expect it to stay like this, pretty much unchanged until the next snowfall.

More
12 Jul 2019 11:37 #75148 by Gudstff
Replied by Gudstff on topic Rhino Pass
Thanks for the quick reply Tony.

We're leaving for Garden Castle on Monday, so it sounds like you confirmed that this would be the perfect pass to up by.

Water situation not a problem either?

Cheers,

More
12 Jul 2019 13:00 - 12 Jul 2019 13:03 #75149 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Rhino Pass
It's very dry in the berg. I went up the direct approach from Garden Castle Hermit's Wood campsite, as per the Rhino Pass track in the Downloads section. Assuming you will do the same. Following the ridge, the opportunity to get water is even more limited. I passed two pools on the ridge, but if you use a slightly different route you may miss them. On the section where you follow the path that contours around the ridge into the valley the pass is in, there was a good trickle where I had expected to find water, which was quite a relief. It is at S 29 42.886 E 29 11.414 elevation 2444 m. I could put my cup under a low cascade I found a few metres below the path, and could fill the cup in about 10 seconds, then fill up my bottles. After that there was no water again until I got into the stream of the pass itself, at about 2500 m, with water on and off in the pass up to about 2700 m.

After summiting Rhino Peak, I walked downstream into Lesotho along the river that passes near the top of Rhino Pass (not the river from the near the top of Mashai Pass, that one was totally dry) and found some flowing water about 900 m from the top of the pass, where I tented.

So I would suggest take enough water with you from the start (either from the campsite or where you cross the Mlambonja River) to get to the trickle I described above, where you can again get enough water to get to the water in Rhino Pass. Have a good drink or fill up again on the pass while there is still water to keep you going until you can get to water on the summit.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2019 13:03 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gudstff

More