Northern Berg Photo Trip June 2013

18 Sep 2013 14:14 #58525 by Grandeur
I don't think Karl would mind me posting this - he has mentioned what gear he uses before in this post .

From what I have experienced in my photogrpahic journey in life so far - gear makes about 10% of the difference, Practice, research and developing your skill makes up just about the rest of the 90%. Then to get your photography to another level - there is another level of dedication required to haul an approx 3-5 Kgs of extra gear (more if you take a long zoom lens as well) up those passes in order to be able to apply your 90% with your 10%.

Karl - nice images mate. I hope to see more from you soon. It's inspiring to see them and makes me want to get back up there soon with my 25kg backpack!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2013 14:17 #58526 by plouw
Great photos, as always, Karl! Like the cultural ones especially, captures the true Mnweni spirit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2013 14:25 #58527 by Frosty Ice
Do you sell your images? How much for one that could be canvas printed? Just love the mweni area!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2013 14:58 #58528 by HFc

Serious tribe wrote:
Sunset, sunrise there is a panoply of scenes!




These two are in the top 10 photos I've ever seen of the Berg...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2013 17:38 #58529 by Mr T
I agree 100 percent on these 2 photos.
Whenever a photograph makes you feel like you there, but makes you want to get in your car and drive there at the same time, its pretty special!!

Awesome pics!!

:P ;) :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2013 00:37 #58530 by Serious tribe
Thanks guys glad you like the images. The Mweni is just one of those places, hard work to get there, but I think all worth it in the end. I have added another image which I forgot but really like.

As Grandeur pointed out the right gear does help to some extent. A point and shoot vs a fully manual will have its limitations, likewise if you are not prepared to carry a tripod up with you, you wont be able to create these types of images. Also if you would rather lie in bed until the sun is up...

Software. Now there is a pandoras box! I have started using hdr for some of my images, and it has not been a step that I have taken lightly. I have seen some shocking hdr work in the past which for many years has put me off using the technique. However I want to capture what my eye in most cases is able to discern, and not be limited by the constraints of the sensor. However in so doing, I also want to be as truthful as possible without making it unrealistic.

The star burst sun might be borderline here, as ones eye is not designed to look directly at the sun and still resolve detail in the shadows. But it certainly adds some drama to the image. Our eyes can only focus on one point at a time in a landscape. So a photograph that is in focus from foreground to infinity is not realistic, however it does allow us after the event, to scan through a printed image from foreground to background and for it to all be in focus as if we were really at the scene focusing on each layer. If you took a scene with only one area in focus no matter how hard you stared at the finished print, the areas out of focus would always remain out of focus.

Being up in the berg is a joyous place to be. If combining my talent and the passion to do what I do allows others to experience that part of the berg that they ordinarily would not, that makes me happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Powered by Kunena Forum