Mponjwane climb and a Rockeries - Mnweni loop.

19 Apr 2016 14:42 - 19 Apr 2016 14:46 #67891 by Viking

Neil Margetts wrote: Hi Ghaz

Last year this time, Intrepid, Andrew P and I did the first ascent of the "Baby' Mponj which is featured in your 8th photo where there was a comment of a missing summit cairn. We should have built a bigger cairn, but there was no cairn when we got there,

After this we did the inner Mnweni Needle and after Intrepid and I did Mponj, and it possibly looks like our entry was the last one before Viking's entry.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Please don't take my cairn and summit book entry comments seriously! It was just a bit of tongue in cheek banter, mainly aimed at intrepid.

You entry was the last before ours.

The book was quite new and had one entry each for 2014 and 2015. Interestingly a party attempted mponj the week after us but were turned back by bad weather and Gavin R is climbing it today.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 14:46 by Viking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2016 18:48 - 19 Apr 2016 18:50 #67897 by intrepid

Viking wrote:

Neil Margetts wrote: Hi Ghaz

Last year this time, Intrepid, Andrew P and I did the first ascent of the "Baby' Mponj which is featured in your 8th photo where there was a comment of a missing summit cairn. We should have built a bigger cairn, but there was no cairn when we got there,

After this we did the inner Mnweni Needle and after Intrepid and I did Mponj, and it possibly looks like our entry was the last one before Viking's entry.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Please don't take my cairn and summit book entry comments seriously! It was just a bit of tongue in cheek banter, mainly aimed at intrepid.

You entry was the last before ours.

The book was quite new and had one entry each for 2014 and 2015. Interestingly a party attempted mponj the week after us but were turned back by bad weather and Gavin R is climbing it today.

:D Neil feels bad because he wrote it! I'm surprised you could read his hand writing.

Neil & Andrew, I wonder if we should let Macc and Viking in on that beautiful, un-climbed and well-protected E grade route on the South-Western aspect of "Baby Mponj"?

About "Mponj Pass", it is a do-able route, but I think its better described as a scrambling route rather than a pass, similar to Inner Tower Gully. This has more to do with the section between the worm hole and Mponj Cave. The lower section is just hard terrain like Neil mentioned. I stand under correction, but I do believe the route has been done in its entirety. That valley afforded some unusual views and angles which I have never seen before.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 18:50 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, Biomech

More
19 Apr 2016 19:47 #67901 by ghaznavid

intrepid wrote: About "Mponj Pass", it is a do-able route, but I think its better described as a scrambling route rather than a pass, similar to Inner Tower Gully. This has more to do with the section between the worm hole and Mponj Cave. The lower section is just hard terrain like Neil mentioned. I stand under correction, but I do believe the route has been done in its entirety. That valley afforded some unusual views and angles which I have never seen before.

@Biomech: sounds like a good followup to Uklebe Pass, you keen?

More
19 Apr 2016 19:59 #67905 by Viking

intrepid wrote:

Neil & Andrew, I wonder if we should let Macc and Viking in on that beautiful, un-climbed and well-protected E grade route on the South-Western aspect of "Baby Mponj"?

Is there a wild goose holding the summit book in it's beak at the top?

More
19 Apr 2016 21:17 #67914 by Biomech
@Ghaz - always!

More
20 Apr 2016 08:27 #67917 by AndrewP

Viking wrote:

intrepid wrote:

Is there a wild goose holding the summit book in it's beak at the top?

This the route we dubbed "Unicorn", right?

More
26 Sep 2016 20:04 #69886 by ghaznavid

ghaznavid wrote:

intrepid wrote: About "Mponj Pass", it is a do-able route, but I think its better described as a scrambling route rather than a pass, similar to Inner Tower Gully. This has more to do with the section between the worm hole and Mponj Cave. The lower section is just hard terrain like Neil mentioned. I stand under correction, but I do believe the route has been done in its entirety. That valley afforded some unusual views and angles which I have never seen before.

@Biomech: sounds like a good followup to Uklebe Pass, you keen?

I think Intrepid summed that up pretty well - the terrain gets considerably rougher from the base of the climb through to the cave. There are a lot of scrambles lower down, and even Tony had to take his pack off for the final scramble - so definitely a Rock pass. I will refrain from providing any more spoilers, though - in anticipation of Tony's upcoming writeup :thumbsup:

@Tony, Biomech and Dom: thanks for an awesome weekend in the mountains!

More
26 Sep 2016 20:14 #69888 by ghaznavid

Viking wrote: Looking up to the worm-hole from the Mponjwane side

The section below the wormhole has been seriously devegetated over the last few months - perhaps the ice/snow had something to do with it?

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall, Biomech

More
27 Sep 2016 09:00 #69893 by Viking
The vegetation certainly looks greener in our picture, but that was over Easter so it makes sense.
I doubt the vegetation has just disappeared, we are coming out of winter so it will obviously not be as high or thick, also the heavy snow and rain could have flattened it or even covered it with a bit of loose stuff.

BTW - the person in the right of the picture is definitely going the wrong way.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Macc

More
29 Sep 2016 15:04 #69913 by ASL
looks like he is after that crack on the right.. must be a manic climber type?

More