I am crazy, but I’m not stupid

01 Nov 2012 03:35 #55567 by Oneye
This hiker is very skeptical.

Giardia is NOT a problem in the Rockies, propaganda is. I used to listen to the scare stories and carry filters and then one day I had to drink out of the stream and didn't get sick and then I put it to the test - two years later not sick. Now I drink any water that has never been in a lake (there are dead things in lakes and it is not giardia I am worried about). I have in fact drank lake water and also not gotten sick. The water up high is clean - it just fell as rain or snow recently. Same with the berg.

Giardia has a 2 week incubation and is intestinal. It results in chronic diarrhea.

It is a northern European fluke and is in the water supplies from Moscow to Oslo. Many northern Europeans are immune to it, and I may be - my ancestry is Belarus / Holland.

Nothing in this description fits giardiasis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2012 11:03 #55665 by ghaznavid
Just for some context on how bad the mist we did the bottom half of the pass in was - this is a photo of the "abyss" that we almost turned around at :laugh:

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kliktrak

More
24 Nov 2012 18:02 #55666 by Fitness
@Ghaz, it was a close call to turn around thank goodness we hung around long enough for the mist to lift.
On the water thing, I also got water from the stream just to the left of the picture the "abyss", but like I've said many times I don't hold my breath and say it was the water, there were many other things that could have given me giardia.
Can't wait for the next hike.

More
24 Nov 2012 18:04 #55667 by Fitness
A look at the back of Popple Peak

More
24 Nov 2012 18:27 #55668 by ghaznavid

A look at the back of Popple Peak

Popple looks so small from the top of Judge Pass - wish I got a photo from there, but I was in no state to worry about photos.

From the Mafadi ridge it looks like this:

Its a real monster of a peak.

The next hike should be awesome - I'm also looking forward to it B)

More
18 Feb 2013 12:34 #56059 by HOBBIT
I know i'm a bit late,but i only found the link now. I'm the lightjie carrying the pack about 3/4 of my weight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kliktrak

More
19 Feb 2013 17:59 #56069 by HFc
That is VERY cool my young man!

More