First Berg Trip

12 May 2011 14:55 #2851 by Gwakie
First Berg Trip was created by Gwakie
Hi Folks

I thought I'd just post some feedback from my first trip to the berg.
Started off at Monks Cowl, follwoing the Sphinks Trail up to breakfast stream. We spent the night at a campsite just off Blind Man's Corner... there was evidence of a recent camp fire - are we allowed camp fires on the berg?
The following morning I had a go at Summitting Sterk Horn before returning to the car park around 4PM.
Apart from some really sore legs - the trip back down was a killer - It was an awesome trip and cant wait for the next one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2011 07:39 #2856 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: First Berg Trip
Great! Thanks for posting back. Did you manage to get all the way to the top of Sterkhorn? Lovely peak isnt it.

No, camp fires are definitely not allowed in the Berg. It is an offence. The fact that hikers do make fires in caves and at the camp spots reflects their own ignorance and selfishness. The smugglers make fires too.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
16 May 2011 15:04 #2884 by Gwakie
Replied by Gwakie on topic Re: First Berg Trip

Unfortunately not this time, I was looking forward to it but the other guys in our party froze up and were stuck on one of the lower ledges so we had to go back down to help them down.
But this is where I had to turn back from.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
16 May 2011 16:42 #2887 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: First Berg Trip
How difficult is Sterkhorn? Csn it be done without ropes? KZN Wildlife recomends a guide on their website, is that necessary or is it an clear path?

More
17 May 2011 16:05 #2905 by Hermann
Replied by Hermann on topic Re: First Berg Trip
hi very easy, Ive done it a few times...we usually camp at the bottom,my youngest son has done it too (11)

More
18 May 2011 04:29 #2907 by Errol
Replied by Errol on topic Re: First Berg Trip
@ Hermann: is there a path up (even if vague). Which side do you approach the top from? Sterkhorn is on my to-do list after Cathedral.

Anyone have any waypoints to aim for on Sterkhorn?

More
23 May 2011 07:18 #2944 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: First Berg Trip
@Gwakie: too bad you didn't make it. Next time!

Sterkhorn Northern summit is a C-grade scramble, which is the same as Cathedral Peak, but less exposed in my opinion. It has a fun worm-hole you have to wriggle through close to the summit. The main (Southern) and middle summits are technical climbs, and incidentally, Sterkhorn was the first technical peak to be climbed in the Berg.

@Errol: the trail going up to the Northern summit is becoming more and more prominent, very visible on the approach. Haven't been up there myself in a while and don't have any GPS data for it yet.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More