Grays and Ships round trip Oct 2014

22 Oct 2014 14:50 #62134 by ghaznavid
I wonder where it was then - when I went up and down Gray's last year, myself and ASL decided to take the high path on the way up and the low path on the way down - no trouble on either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2014 14:56 #62135 by Riaang
Sorry, I see my response above wasn't displayed directly beneath Gnaz's question. I was responding to his question about the rock wall. That one was easy, pity I didn't take a picture but I had my hands full (literally) at that point in time. Need to get me a Go_Pro or something :-)

More
22 Oct 2014 15:00 #62136 by ghaznavid
My rule about photos: no matter how many photos you take, you will always wish you had taken more. There is always something you want to explain or want to see again afterwards that you didn't get a photo of. Bear in mind that 45.5Gb of my hard drive is taken up by 13 859 photos of the Berg - yet I can easily think of plenty of things I have missed in my photos - such as an in-focus photo of the rock scramble on Gray's Pass :laugh:

More
22 Oct 2014 15:02 #62137 by Riaang
Ghaz, I think it was in the region to the left of the arrow. We were fairly close to the point where the path starts dropping down to the chimney. The path literally stopped at this rockface and you couldn't go around it to the right either.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
22 Oct 2014 15:04 #62138 by ghaznavid
Ok - I know what you are talking about. I had a similar problem on Sterkhorn - the points where the path turns 150 degrees and so many people have missed the switchback that going straight actually looks plausible. Not a nice position to be in.

More
22 Oct 2014 15:05 #62139 by Smurfatefrog
:side: :silly: I'm feeling dizzy here

More
22 Oct 2014 15:11 #62140 by Viking
Hey Riaang, were you holding your camera upside down? :lol: :lol: :silly:

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
22 Oct 2014 15:18 #62143 by elinda
Ha! I have a sore neck from viewing upside down and thought maybe it was just my computer that had a glitch..... :ohmy: :lol:

I really enjoyed your write up though Riaang - well done to the four of you!

More
22 Oct 2014 15:20 #62144 by elandman
Brilliant write up. Thanks for the share

More
22 Oct 2014 17:30 #62149 by tiska
Thanks for the write up Riaang:

Interesting to read your account as we also did a days walk up Grays and down Ships. My description at:

www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/11-drakensberg-passes/55655-cowl-pass.html?start=20
"The sting in the tail is the bundu bashing near the bottom of Ship's Prow"
seems to match yours well though you managed to make a much earlier start on the descent than us (we went messing about near Vultures Retreat first). That bush at the bottom of Ship's Prow is still what makes me rate Ship's Prow as more of a menace than Icidi Pass (setting me apart from most on VE). Hitting that bundu late in the day doesn't help of course.
As ever, I'm finding it hard sitting at a desk within the dark zone of 51 deg N looking at all those photos. Roll on January.

More