Gray's Pass December 2015

24 Dec 2015 14:46 #66233 by 4055415
Replied by 4055415 on topic Gray's Pass December 2015
Thank you for the quick reply.

Im sorry as after reading my own post it seems as I have overreacted a bit. Thanks for clearing the air on that one.

I have noticed the combined experience and dedication of the users on this forum. UNBELIEVABLE! Glad to be a part of such a unique blend of people all having similar goals and a love for the mountains.

Have a lovely day and again please accept my apologies for coming across as a rude individual

Kind regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Papa Dragon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2015 15:00 #66234 by Papa Dragon
All cleared and sorted, no need to apologise :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4055415

More
03 Jan 2016 01:23 - 03 Jan 2016 01:27 #66263 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Gray's Pass December 2015

4055415 wrote: Im sorry as after reading my own post it seems as I have overreacted a bit. Thanks for clearing the air on that one.

Every member of this forum has the right to state their objections here as long as it is conducted in a professional, objective and constructive manner. Debate can be healthy and is generally encouraged, whereas dissent is not tolerated. How you object to something is the big deal, often outweighing what you may be objecting to. As such I see no issue with the way your objection was raised.

As for the issue raised, the mountains belong to everyone and everyone should be able to enjoy what they offer, in a sustainable manner. The objection for me has to do with destructive things that people do (ie the littering, in this case), rather than who they are and what their sport is. Probably a large majority of those who explore the mountains repeatedly, whether by day trips, or by longer multi-day trips, inevitably deepen their sense of wanting to protect and preserve what is out there, and repeated observations of the destructive and wasteful nature that all human beings are prone to, does lead to frustration. More often than not this is observed along routes that are popular as day trips. However this can also be observed in more remote areas, where one would think that the people that took the trouble to get all the way out there should have known better. The problem of litter in the mountains is unlikely to ever go away completely, and it is an issue the world over. We can however counterbalance the effect by persistently cleaning it up, and we can definitely exert an influence on society and contribute towards nurturing a culture and value system that preserves the mountains and keeps them clean. This is within the capability of any person, regardless of their sport in the mountains.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2016 01:27 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kbresler, andrew r, 4055415

More
03 Jan 2016 22:03 #66265 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Gray's Pass December 2015
Thanks for the writeup an photos :thumbsup:

A day on the escarpment is rarely a day wasted. Personally I struggle to sit still for that long, especially in a valley lined with that many khulus!

Good to see VE continuing to function as a Drakensberg hiking club!

More