Tseketseke Hut

Poll: Do you use Tseketseke Hut and should it be restored? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

I use the hut & it should be restored
15 25.9%
I don't use it but would if it were restored
34 58.6%
It doesn't matter to me
2 3.4%
I don't use it & it should not be restored
4 6.9%
Other (please comment)
3 5.2%
Total number of voters: 58 ( Jim, Spoke101, mike_cromberge, AdrianT, Rhinoandhedgehog ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
15 Sep 2016 16:58 #69798 by cameroninggs
Replied by cameroninggs on topic Tseketseke Hut
Well if you guys are around, we are hiking from Sunday till Friday. We in the area and heading towards Tlanyaku Pass or maybe Grays, we will see how the weather effects us. Maybe you will bump into you too, permitting you still up there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2016 18:24 - 26 Nov 2020 18:04 #69799 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Tseketseke Hut

cameroninggs wrote: The response I had gotten was that "is there a hut there?" "only hut is the fire lookout" "you know it has started raining"
So I kindly asked if she could write in in the booking book and I was going to try confirm/get more info here.

Then I think its simply a case of misunderstanding, or the person is simply not aware of the hut because it isn't booked very often. I would phone them again and persist in the matter. Perhaps spell the name for them in case the way you are pronouncing it isn't the way they would pronounce it.

As for the condition of the hut and the shelter it provides, read through this thread, to add to what Tony has mentioned. The hut was built very well and definitely still provides very good shelter. There is the odd small nail hole in the structure but I haven't noticed that the rain drips through those. The side that faces the brunt of the weather is the side that faces the escarpment - the wind comes howling down from that direction. For that reason we closed off the rear window with a solid piece of sheeting - before that rain used to get blown right into the hut. This rarely is an issue from the front side where the wooden shutter is. Even before we put the shutter up, the few times I was there in the rain it wasn't much of an issue and should be dramatically improved now.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2020 18:04 by intrepid. Reason: Updated link information
The following user(s) said Thank You: cameroninggs

More
16 Sep 2016 08:59 #69801 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic Tseketseke Hut
Hi cameroninggs.
We're only using it Saturday night, just a short "easy" weekend hike with some friends going hiking for the first time. With the limited time and experience I didn't want to take them up a pass unto the mountains. Hope we don't freeze and ski our way down the the hotel on Sunday:silly:

And thank you intrepid for the additional info.
(I did read the linked threat beforehand - really grateful for all the information we can get on the forum. It helped loads with planning our GT earlier in the year)

More
21 Sep 2016 09:15 #69836 by Rhinoandhedgehog
Replied by Rhinoandhedgehog on topic Tseketseke Hut
Hi Andreas,
How did you get on in the hut - the weather was rather misty / rainy from our point of view...
Feed back on the huts "weatherproofness" would be welcomed.

More
21 Sep 2016 10:57 #69837 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic Tseketseke Hut
Hi Rhinoandhedgehog.

Yip, we made it with a lot of grace at about 20:30 and will definitely ask about routes in future. My reference of contour paths were quick easy hiking until this one because it turned out to be much slower and more difficult than it seemed on the map. Ok granted, it was misty and rainy from early afternoon so think better visibility should have made things easier.

We left Cathedral Peak Hotel @10:00 and followed the path as you would on your way to Twins cave and turned off left on the "Contour path" to Tseketseke hut to make a +-16.5km day and then almost straight down to the right to "hikers parking" for a short +-7km Sunday.

Regarding the hut, I couldn't have asked for something better in the mountains especially in the weather we were in. Spacious, clean and neat all round (grass/dust floor) and the best of all completely dry, well . . . except for the wet clothes we slogged in. Thanks to the people who helped maintain the hut, it's much appreciated!

The light snow at the hut and the white mountains directly above us was the cherry on the cake!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redshift3, Biomech

More
21 Sep 2016 11:53 #69838 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tseketseke Hut

Andreas wrote: will definitely ask about routes in future

:laugh: :laugh: I think we can all identify with something like that happening to us. Berg trails on the maps are often misleading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redshift3

More
21 Sep 2016 13:44 #69839 by Biomech
Replied by Biomech on topic Tseketseke Hut
Totally!

More
21 Sep 2016 14:20 #69840 by Rhinoandhedgehog
Replied by Rhinoandhedgehog on topic Tseketseke Hut

Andreas wrote:
We left Cathedral Peak Hotel @10:00 and followed the path as you would on your way to Twins cave and turned off left on the "Contour path" to Tseketseke hut to make a +-16.5km day and then almost straight down to the right to "hikers parking" for a short +-7km Sunday.

The light snow at the hut and the white mountains directly above us was the cherry on the cake!

Glad to hear all is well at the hut - we stayed at low altitudes for the weekend but saw your mountain register log. The only section of the Contour path we have not done is that section which we had hoped to do this weekend but will have to try again in December when we are up there again. Hopefully it will be easier going in better weather.

More
23 Nov 2020 10:17 #76322 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Tseketseke Hut
The front shutter window is barely hanging on, otherwise the hut is still in good condition

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealDave, grae22

More
26 Nov 2020 18:08 - 26 Nov 2020 18:20 #76334 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Tseketseke Hut
The wood that we used to build that shutter was from the old floor boards of the hut (it used to have a suspended wooden floor), so those boards have done well considering their age. We will have to look at getting a metal or hard plastic sheet in there to replace the boards.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2020 18:20 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hikingle, TheRealDave

More