Ship’s Prow Pass

29 Oct 2012 19:06 #55544 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Ship’s Prow Pass
Another hike that will always be remembered,22km with 2300m altitude gain not a walk in the park ,but never the less another good hike in the berg. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sabine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 22:17 - 29 Oct 2012 22:18 #55547 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Ship’s Prow Pass
Well done guys. Very hectic stats those, 22km to the top. Your legs must have been uber tired!

What were your pack weights like?
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 22:18 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vynbos

More
30 Oct 2012 04:44 #55549 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic Ship’s Prow Pass
our legs were jelly. I am master of ultralight, so my pack for the three day hike started off at 11.5kg including 1l of water. Anthony's pack weighed 13kg but he carried GPS and sat phone and too much food. Not sure about the others
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vynbos

More
30 Oct 2012 05:04 - 30 Oct 2012 05:05 #55550 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Ship’s Prow Pass
Good effort there Sabine, Anthony, Peter and co, well done! :thumbsup: And thanks for the write-up.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 05:05 by intrepid.

More
31 Oct 2012 08:54 #55560 by Emma Lee
Replied by Emma Lee on topic Ship’s Prow Pass
Wow ~ sounds awesome! A hike for the top notch! The rest of us droll and dream to do such things... However, hiking is for fun, pure fun from my side, so I'll do it over 3 weeks - not 3 days!! Well done all of you brave souls! :thumbsup:

More
31 Oct 2012 09:13 #55561 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Ship’s Prow Pass
3 weeks - that sounds doable :laugh: packs would be a bit heavy though...

More
01 Nov 2012 06:09 #55568 by Emma Lee
Replied by Emma Lee on topic Ship’s Prow Pass
:laugh:
This is true... I was thinking perhaps re-supply!!!
Seriously, it is pass I'd like to tick off, but I'd need a little more time, maybe walking to the base on day 1, day 2 go up and across, maybe down gray's maybe not, day 3, down to blindman's crn. Personally, this sounds more my speed! Generally, my pack for a 3 or 4 day hike weighs in at 15kg, it's been 17kg's in the dead of winter for the extra warm clothes... Think I need to ask around whom has what one man (lady) tent.... I'll find it on another topic, not here on this Ships Prow debate....
When would be a good time to attempt this pass - weather wise? I really dont want to be flushed away by rain half way up the pass, nor do I wanna go up in snow...

More
01 Nov 2012 19:13 #55570 by ghaznavid

When would be a good time to attempt this pass - weather wise? I really dont want to be flushed away by rain half way up the pass, nor do I wanna go up in snow...

Probably April - thunderstorms are big issues from November to February, snow picks up from July to September and hangs around well into October. The Dragon has its own mind when it comes to whether though...

Light packs make the world of difference - I had by far the lightest pack on GT this year (and still struggled), at its heaviest it was 22kg with food and water, at the end with basically no food or water it weighed 14kg. I had to check that it was still on my back at the end!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma Lee

More
26 Feb 2013 10:08 #56104 by Josh of the Bushveld
I was on the trip with Sabine that did Ship's Prow in October 2012. The group (over 20 people) split into two, with Sabine's group in the front. I was in the larger, slower group (and one of the slowest in that group).

We just caught up with the faster group at the lunch stop at the base of the pass, and left that stop about 45 minutes after the front group. We got caught in the pass as darkness fell, and we had to continue with headlamps (fortunately everybody had one). We eventually got to the top of the pass around 9pm, and got to the campsite at 10pm - a 15 hour day (from 7am)!

This was my first 'berg hiking experience (I've done quite a few other wilderness and long distance trails) - what an initiation!

More
27 Feb 2013 08:45 #56110 by ghaznavid
:laugh: Ships Prow Pass as a first pass! Insanity!

Well if you can cope with that you should be able to handle basically anything else the Dragon could throw at you. You should take up serious hiking :thumbsup:

Ps. don't worry - we all start out as that slow guy at the back, on the Grand Traverse last year it got to a point were I was leaving from our breaks 10 minutes before everyone else and getting to the top half an hour after everyone else...

More