Perspectives on People - Jul-Sep 2014

19 Jul 2014 14:39 - 19 Jul 2014 14:40 #61335 by intrepid
This is the thread for the next round of photo competitions. The theme is Perspectives on People. Entries should be photos that depict locals somewhere in the Drakensberg or in the Lesotho Highlands. It can be people such as shepherds, farmers, smugglers, traders, kids. It may not be people such as hikers. It should be evident in the photo that the picture was taken somewhere in the Maloti-Drakensberg Mountains.

Photos should be uploaded to the following album:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/gallery/drakensberg/featured-images/perspectives-on-people-jul-sep-2014.html

Guidelines for the competition:
* Give your entry a creative title which adds to the appeal of the image.
* When you have uploaded your entry, post a downscaled copy of your image to this thread, together with your title, and a link to the image, as well as a description of where the shot was taken from, and the story behind the photograph.
* Photos do not need to be limited to the actual time period for the competition.
* Please obtain permission from people before photographing them, and be polite, respectful and appreciative of what they may or may not let you do.
* Some form of compensation or reward for the photo can be considered to be fair practice.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2014 14:40 by intrepid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2014 09:14 #61851 by Viking
www.vertical-endeavour.com/gallery/drakensberg/featured-images/perspectives-on-people-jul-sep-2014/881-trojan-shepherds.html#joomimg

Trojan Shepherds.

Ghaz and I met these guys on top of Corner Pass during our Giant's Traverse loop in March.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HFc

More
20 Sep 2014 10:23 - 20 Sep 2014 10:36 #61852 by ghaznavid

Viking wrote: Ghaz and I met these guys on top of Corner Pass during our Giant's Traverse loop in March.

Nice photo :thumbsup:

That was such a friendly group of guys, proving that you don't need to speak the same language to spend an hour or so hanging out with a group of people.

My entry was taken about an hour later thank Viking's - "Heart of the Basotho"

I was torn between the above and this one - "Judging from the view":

Both of the above photos were taken on top of the khulu The Judge.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 20 Sep 2014 10:36 by ghaznavid.

More
20 Sep 2014 12:59 #61853 by Viking

ghaznavid wrote: Nice photo :thumbsup:

That was such a friendly group of guys, proving that you don't need to speak the same language to spend an hour or so hanging out with a group of people.

Thought it may be slightly familiar to you! lol

That was a very special time on top of the Judge. Hardly any words spoken and even fewer understood, yet we shared an hours worth of smiles and amazing views with these guys. Definitely a highlight of the trip for me.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
21 Sep 2014 14:32 #61855 by intrepid
My entry is called "Peak Traffic", shot in 2009 near Makhoabong Pass in Central Lesotho. The boy has all the classic shepherd attire, and with all the 4x4s driving past, he is on his mule - the hardy beast without which rural Lesotho wouldn't function as it does. The background is a classic highlands scene, capturing some of that blue/purple colour that these mountains are often named after.
www.vertical-endeavour.com/gallery/drakensberg/featured-images/perspectives-on-people-jul-sep-2014/883-peak-traffic.html

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
21 Sep 2014 19:09 #61856 by Smurfatefrog

More
23 Sep 2014 15:26 #61871 by Morgan/Leone
both are really nice photos

More
25 Sep 2014 14:39 - 25 Sep 2014 14:44 #61878 by Sterkhorn
This slide was dug out of archives and scanned, hence the poorer quality.
During the mid-1970's, my brother and I ventured into the world of a mid-winter trip in July. Our decision was a mini-traverse from Grays to Organ Pipes. Still fresh in the memory is the experience of accessing water through 15cm ice, spoons iced to plates, cold air burning lungs and perspiration on the palms dropping as ice into our fleece mittens. We decided to take an inland route round Didima and experienced a mystical world of frozen waterfalls and rivers, crystallized snowflakes and a light snowfall in calm conditions. The cherry on the top was this mounted prince, who suddenly appeared over a rise, offered a friendly greeting and in like manner, vanished over the next ridge. That magic moment is still vivid in my memory.
www.vertical-endeavour.com/gallery/drakensberg/featured-images/perspectives-on-people-jul-sep-2014/885-a-sure-mount.html#joomimg

Last edit: 25 Sep 2014 14:44 by Sterkhorn.

More
26 Sep 2014 06:17 - 26 Sep 2014 06:49 #61879 by Serious tribe
Mweni through the ages.

On my last trip into this beautiful place, I spied a young Zulu maiden. The elderly man behind was walking down the road and stopped as i framed and shot the image.

Last edit: 26 Sep 2014 06:49 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spykid

More
26 Sep 2014 11:23 - 26 Sep 2014 11:24 #61880 by Sabine
www.vertical-endeavour.com/gallery/drakensberg/featured-images/perspectives-on-people-jul-sep-2014/888-lonely-shepherd.html

This photo was taken in 2011 when we did a 3 day hike from the top of Mphosong Pass to Maliba lodge in Lesotho

Last edit: 26 Sep 2014 11:24 by Sabine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fish

More