Essence of the Dragon

14 Nov 2017 12:26 #72366 by DesPorter
Replied by DesPorter on topic Essence of the Dragon
My SLR gives a 1000 images on a single battery charge and by carrying a spare battery can double that. The last time I did a Transkei hike switched on my camera as we stepped onto the beach and never switched off until 10 days later when we climbed into the car. The SLR goes into sleep mode and a half press on the shutter button wakens it to full readiness. The SLR is a purpose built instrument steadily improved over decades and delivers the goods. I prefer to take the slr and leave out a few luxuries to even out the weight and can still take my old Nokia which weighs next to nothing and has a battery life of 2 weeks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2017 19:11 #72371 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Essence of the Dragon
I totally agree with Richard - you can take amazing photos these days with the latest cell phones. All the photos taken from my Injasuti/Hilton pass trip were taken with my cell phone. No ways I was going to drag my heavy DSLR and tripod along! Its all about capturing the scene and not about the camera you use........

More
16 Nov 2017 06:46 #72377 by saros
Replied by saros on topic Essence of the Dragon
My input here.. I have previously won a photo competition here, with an old S4 to mention. To be honest most of my photos on phone are pretty Good, I have had loads of compliments, only draw back is the zoom but I can live with that. I used to take a big Nikon with me but it became more of a pain then anything.

With my S8 now my battery lasts a full day with full signal and taking photos.. in places with no signal my phone lasts up to 5 days with taking photos.

The main consensus is the mood of the shot no matter the camera.

More
17 Nov 2017 06:09 #72379 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Essence of the Dragon
Thanks for the responses so far.

I agree that cellphones can produce a winning shots that beat more sophisticated cameras. However the discussion for me highlights a potential avenue for conducting the photo comps differently, namely that we can have a cellphone-camera-only category - any further support to this idea?

I'm also happy to make the criteria more general, or totally open. The existing themes were only ever there to keep it interesting and to make people look at the Berg in different ways - we can give that a break.

We could look at setting up 2-3 different categories that are open to entries for the entire calendar year, and certainly we can also consider opening this up to multiple entries per person, or at least letting people make changes.

Please keep the comments coming, even if its just to voice support of things already suggested. This all helps.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
09 Dec 2017 20:28 #72475 by intrepid
So starting January next year, the rounds will be annual instead of quarterly. Based on suggestions that have been made, we are setting up two categories, one is a general category, the other for cell phone shots only. There is no specific theme for either category, but it has to feature the Maloti-Drakensberg mountains. We will also allow up to 3 entries per category from the same person.

Note that there will be no competition for the current quarter.

More
01 Feb 2020 01:24 #75661 by Sterkhorn
Replied by Sterkhorn on topic Essence of the Dragon
I have submitted photos into all 3 categories, but my posting went past midnight (it took longer than I expected).
If it is a problem, feel free to exclude the entries.

More
02 Feb 2020 01:51 #75663 by intrepid

Sterkhorn wrote: I have submitted photos into all 3 categories, but my posting went past midnight (it took longer than I expected).
If it is a problem, feel free to exclude the entries.

Thank you for being so considerate! This is totally fine, and thank you for submitting all your entries.

More