Schoongezight Cave

29 Mar 2012 12:32 #53363 by diverian
Schoongezight Cave was created by diverian
Condition of Schoongezicht cave is not bad, this is a pic of the main sleeping area that can sleep 2-3, it is a bit of a scramble up with a low roof, witchiwoo nearly had a nastly accident when one of the large boulders she was pulling herself up on came loose and grazed her knee and destroyed the shirt and towel that was drying on it when it crashed into another boulder

There is another area that could sleep another 2 and then a bit a a wet area beyond , maybe another 2, but I would say 4 comfortably.

Made a nice "frame for pics....

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, Bigsnake, tonymarshall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2021 21:46 #76644 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Schoongezight Cave
Busy planning some hiking options over the Easter Weekend. Current plan is up Thuthumi Pass and down Tlanyaka Pass. Has anyone recently visited Schoongezight Cave? I've never been there before and have always been a bit hesitant of it given the proximity to the smuggling route. Any insights will be greatly appreciated. 

More
26 Mar 2021 04:37 #76645 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Schoongezight Cave
I've stayed at Schoongezicht Cave several times in the last couple of years, and have never had any problems there.

More
26 Mar 2021 07:06 #76646 by supertramp
Excellent, thank you Tony! Looking forward to explore that section of the Berg. 

More
30 Mar 2021 01:07 #76653 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Schoongezight Cave
Haven't used that cave in a long while, nor have I been in the area for some time, but I think you are more likely to problems with the insects in that cave rather than smugglers. It did show signs of being used at one stage but you have to cross the river to get there which is an inconvenience for them. The smugglers tend to use Sibayeni Cave and the Gravel Shelter if they are passing through the area.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
30 Mar 2021 09:04 #76656 by supertramp
Thank you so much Intrepid. That is good to know. Will be sure to take some insect repellent (just in case) 

This image is hidden for guests.

Do you perhaps have any recollection of how many people it can accommodate? (some sites says a max of 8). 

More
31 Mar 2021 03:50 #76659 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Schoongezight Cave
8 would perhaps be pushing it, with some people being in not so great areas of the cave. I can recall in 2013 we were 6 people there, and that was what we thought the limit was. After that the group I have been there with has been 3 or less, and we have all had good, comfortable spots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp

More
31 Mar 2021 05:10 #76660 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Schoongezight Cave
I think 8 would be pushing it (yes, you can always make it work if you have to), 4-6 is more comfortable. You may need to clean up some of the sleeping areas, and due to its proximity to the river, don't be surprised if the recent heavy rains have in some way affected the cave.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp

More
31 Mar 2021 21:43 #76666 by supertramp
Thanks a million Tony & Intrepid! 

We are a group of 5  and look forward to giving the cave a go. Thanks also for the heads-up on the potential impact of the floods, was wondering about that given the history and close proximity of the cave to the river - will keep a backup plan just in case. 

More
06 Apr 2021 18:39 - 06 Apr 2021 18:56 #76679 by supertramp
Hello guys,

Happy to report that we had a fantastic time at Schoongezight Cave (as our final overnight spot on a Thuthumi and Tlanyaku loop). Thanks Intrepid and Tony for your advice. As expected (good call, Interpid

), the cave was definitely impacted by the recent floods (evident by the amount of rocks and sand as well as flattened trees on both sides). After some landscaping we managed to make it very comfortable and had a very pleasant evening. We fitted 5 people easily and there was definitely room for an additional 1 and maybe 2. 

The views from the cave are out of this world and it was an interesting experience to have the river flow by so closely (couldn't help but imagining how the Ndedema river would like it flood). Can highly recommend to others who are willing to explore this lesser visited area of the Berg.   

Before landscaping

After landscaping

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 06 Apr 2021 18:56 by supertramp.

More