Snow Watch 2012

17 Jan 2012 13:07 - 02 Nov 2012 06:17 #52913 by intrepid
Snow Watch 2012 was created by intrepid
This is the official thread for Snow Watch 2012. Feel free to post pictures, information, questions and reports about the snow conditions in the Drakensberg for 2012. The idea is to keep track of the snowfalls, pool information about where the snow is for those that want to go see it, and simply to have a place to express the joy and experiences you may have had if you have witnessed the grandeur of the Dragon clothed in white.

Historical Snow Watch threads:

Snowfalls for 2012 (updated as they happen):

3. May 15 - Afriski and Sani Pass area. Details .

4. June 8 - Good snowfalls in Western Lesotho and Eastern Cape Drakensberg from Tiffendel area and down. Witteberg Rand also gets good snow. Not much in KZN Berg, just a dusting on the Southern Berg escarpment. Details .

6. July 7 - Snow on all major high-lying ranges of the Maloti-Drakensberg including the Wittberg. Not so much snow currently on the Northern KZN Berg escarpment, but certainly more in the Central and Southern Berg. Details .

7. No. 7, 13-14 July: widespread snowfall over the Maloti-Drakensberg region and the Eastern and Western Cape. Probably the biggest snowfall of the season so far. Heavy snow on the Eastern Cape Drakensberg and the Witteberg. High ranges of Lesotho enjoyed heavy snow too. Cars were stuck on the road in the Afriski and Moteng Pass area. Fair snowfall on the KZN Drakensberg escarpment, but not as heavy in comparison, and the snow did not go below ~2500m there. More snow in the Southern Berg than the Northern Berg (where not much fell below the escarpment). This front was characterised by very strong winds. Details .

11. No. 11, 15 Sep: Details .

12. No. 12, 31 Oct: Details .

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2012 06:17 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dale

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2012 11:10 - 28 Mar 2012 11:11 #53344 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Snow Watch 2012
Norwegen Weather Services is forecasting snow in the southern berg for Sunday evening - so I could be in for a cold hike up [insert name of pass here - KaMa-something Pass at Lotheni] and down Redi Pass this weekend...
Last edit: 28 Mar 2012 11:11 by ghaznavid.

More
28 Mar 2012 11:40 #53345 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Snow Watch 2012
KaMashilenga Pass. If you check my book out on the net, you can read how we got hit by a snow blizzard climbing up that pass.

More
28 Mar 2012 20:30 #53352 by Kraig
Replied by Kraig on topic Re: Snow Watch 2012
Hi

We are going hiking in the cathedral peak area from the 4th to 7th of April do you think we might get snow? If not what temperatures are we looking at and where does the snow usually fall first?

Thanks

More
29 Mar 2012 06:13 #53353 by ghaznavid

bearwright wrote: Hi

We are going hiking in the cathedral peak area from the 4th to 7th of April do you think we might get snow? If not what temperatures are we looking at and where does the snow usually fall first?

Thanks

The rule seems to be that if there is snow on one peak in the entire range, it will be Walker's Peak at Bushman's Nek, and if there is snow somewhere other than the southern berg, it will be at Amphitheater. Cathedral Peak doesn't usually get much snow early in the year, and it usually melts quickly.

That being said, the dragon has a mind of its own and thus you must always be prepared...

More
29 Mar 2012 06:16 #53354 by ghaznavid

Serious tribe wrote: KaMashilenga Pass. If you check my book out on the net, you can read how we got hit by a snow blizzard climbing up that pass.

I see your picture of camping above the pass is in Best Walks of the Drakensberg, and that book has an account of hikers getting frost bite on this pass - should I start getting worried :laugh:

Where can I find your book online, it would be interesting to read your account.

More
29 Mar 2012 07:16 #53355 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Re: Snow Watch 2012

Serious tribe wrote: Hi forum

I am pleased to be able to invite all of you to have a look at my book entitled 'Catching the Light'.

The book has been published through an on line printing company called Blurb. Whilst it does make the book expensive, it is the only way at present that I am able to publish my story of the Drakensberg.

The book has been twenty years in the making, and follows my photographic and hiking journey through these mountains. It does not provide a blow by blow account of all my trips, however I have included ones that I thought were note worthy. The images follow the seasons starting with Autumn and as each season unfolds, the images splash the pages with their specific colour palette. I have also interwoven the story with some personal and philosophical views of mountains and the reasons for going up there, and some hilarious stories as well.

I suppose the books main story as seen through the images, is the constant striving for excellence in the art of scenic photography and the attempt to capture the nuances of light that fall on this beautiful part of the world. You can navigate to the book by following the link below.

Enjoy

www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2221128

More
29 Mar 2012 10:41 #53358 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Re: Snow Watch 2012

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
31 Mar 2012 07:03 #53390 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Re: Snow Watch 2012
Alpine Heath:
"The first light snowfall of 2012 has fallen between Injasuti and Champagne Castle on top of the main escarpment. If you were up at 6am you will have seen it."

More
31 Mar 2012 09:20 #53391 by ghaznavid
My hike this weekend got cancelled due to that snow :( got an sms telling me this at 5:00AM...

More