Commemorative plaque below the Camel

01 Dec 2014 13:02 #62371 by Stretch
I apologise if this has been covered before, but after a long overdue hike in the cathedral area this weekend we came upon a commemorative plaque on the contour path at the base of the camel, looking out over the tseketseke pass. I stupidly did not take a photo, but its a big chunk of marble about 40cm by 15cm on legs about 1.2m high in the middle of the grassland. To put it in perspective I could see it silhouetted from the base of Tseketseke pass. To say I was shocked to see this would be an understatement. I cannot for the life of me see how this could be possibly allowed, yet it is at such a major junction point Ezemvelo MUST be aware of it...so why is it still there? can anyone shed some light on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2014 15:48 #62375 by Viking
This one?

I haven't seen it but came across it on the net some time back.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
01 Dec 2014 21:14 #62378 by Stretch
yip - thats the one. You wonder what logic goes through someone's mind when they do that

More
01 Dec 2014 23:24 - 02 Dec 2014 08:02 #62384 by Serious tribe
I would not think that grief and logic are mutually inclusive.

Likely he enjoyed hiking in the berg, or there were some special memories associated with this spot, so without thinking of the ramifications decided to place it here. It is like all the memorials on the side of the road for crash victims.

It would have been perhaps socially more acceptable to have sponsored a chair with a plaque at one of the camps. Or even if they had it in this vicinity, have it on the ground off the path and only in the knowledge for those whom he had a connection.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 08:02 by Serious tribe.

More
02 Dec 2014 07:08 - 02 Dec 2014 07:11 #62385 by tonymarshall
This commemorative plaque must have been erected by the family of the hiker who committed suicide in his tent at the Tseketseke campsite where the Contour Path crosses the Tseketseke River. There is a brief reference to this in the Dragon's Wrath 2012 thread, and I recall reading a report on the death by Gavin Raubinheimer who did the recovery. One can't help wonder what significance this spot held for a person who would commit suicide here on his birthday.

This prominent plaque has been brought to the attention of the Didima authorities by fellow hikers on at least two occasions that I am aware of, but neither received a response.

There was also a small crude cross made from tree branches at the campsite, which was removed and placed in a less visible spot nearby by intrepid, diverian and myself on one of our VE pine tree trips in the area. We left the area via the Tseketseke River and unfortunately didn't see the plaque next to the Contour Path ourselves.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 07:11 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HFc

More
02 Dec 2014 10:05 #62387 by Stretch
thanks for the feedback. in this case I think grief has definitely overcome logic in the case of the family. I would sooner see this removed so that as few people see it as possible in case someone else decides that this is a good thing to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian

More
02 Dec 2014 13:18 #62388 by tonymarshall
We would all like to see the plaque removed, but it is unfortunately a sensitive issue, and we cannot simply go there and remove it, like less prominent and insignificant plaques. We are also uncertain of the Didima authorities' involvement in the permission for erection of the plaque, and their stance on the removal thereof, due to lack of response to enquiries in this regard.

intrepid is in liaison with EKZNW on this issue, and may be able to provide some clarity in due course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stretch

More
02 Dec 2014 15:50 #62390 by ghaznavid
If I throw my 2c worth in - I think a small off route plaque is acceptable for a person who dies in the Berg (not counting suicide). Good examples of these would include Bary's grave and the tribute in Roland's Cave.

More
02 Dec 2014 18:02 - 02 Dec 2014 18:06 #62393 by HFc

tonymarshall wrote: One can't help wonder what significance this spot held for a person who would commit suicide here on his birthday.

Sjoe....see that now in the picture above by Viking.

My age....Sjoe again.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 18:06 by HFc.

More
02 Dec 2014 18:52 - 02 Dec 2014 21:20 #62395 by intrepid
This must be a really difficult thing for friends and family to have to go through. And it is unfortunate that the memory of Philip Jordaan has to come up in this context.

It is with all due understanding and sympathy to those connected to him that I respond here.

The putting up of the plaque does contravene the rules of the Maloti-Drakensberg Park - in addition to the fact that it appears to fall within the boundaries of the Mlambonja Wilderness Area which is protected by more stringent standards and should be free of man-made structures. Special cases are permissible as I understand it, depending on what it is and provided proper procedures and assessments are followed.

The relevant Conservation Manager was not aware of the plaque, nor was he ware of any permission sought or given to erect it. They will be attempting to contact those who may have put it up, and will deal with the matter accordingly.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 21:20 by intrepid.

More