Dinosaur Cave

14 Apr 2009 11:23 #407 by diverian
Dinosaur Cave was created by diverian
I revisited Dinosaur Cave as a day hike while camping Injusuthi for
the Easter weeekend, having first been there a few years back with Mountain Backpackers Club.It had been in pristine condition as it is hardly ever visited. I was therefore horrified to find it in the
state it was left by our drug smuggling brothers.

There were paper and plastic packets, boxer tabacco, bread etc (telltale signs of smugglers) strewn about, even in the stream below the waterfall and fires made all ,over the cave,even a fire place on top of a footprint !!!

We picked up as much of the litter and returned on Easter Sunday, a 24 km round trip but worth it, with brushes and brooms to complete the task.

The camp manager had never even heard of the cave and promised to have the field rangers keep an eye on it.

This image is hidden for guests.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2009 18:46 - 14 Apr 2009 18:56 #409 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re:Dinosaur Cave
It is very sad to hear this, especially for a cave as significant as this one! :( The fact that this cave is being used heavily would indicate to me that smuggling passes such as Judge Pass are becoming significant.

I'm very glad to hear that you put in such effort to clean it up - well done!! I'm finding that on almost every hike I do these days that we are walking out with rubbish bags strapped to our packs (this weekend was no exception either - we cleaned up a pass in the central Maloti mountains in Lesotho, which is supposed to be part of a national park).

I'd like to appeal to all readers to follow this example. We can make a difference.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2009 18:56 by intrepid.

More
10 Oct 2011 08:26 #4279 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Re:Dinosaur Cave
It looks like Dinosaur cave has become the "cave of choice" for smugglers using the Judges Pass Route. Litter removed from the cave and under the waterfall

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bigsnake, ghaznavid, Boerkie

More
10 Oct 2011 08:36 #4282 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Dinosaur Cave
Ugh! Good on you for cleaning this up once again! Will forward this on.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
10 Oct 2011 11:30 #4290 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Dinosaur Cave
I'd love to get hold of the GPS co-ords and a route description, its a cave I'd love to visit, but it seems that people avoid putting details up to stop people from vandalising it...

More
10 Oct 2011 11:43 #4294 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Re: Dinosaur Cave
@gaznavid

It is a protected site and no one is permitted to camp there. If you do get the GPS coordinates please don't publish them on the www. It is sad (BS) that the smugglers are destroying this cave, something should be done by authorities!!! :evil:

More
10 Oct 2011 11:56 #4295 by ghaznavid
I realise that, but there is nothing stopping me from taking a tent and sleeping near it, or for that matter staying in Bannerman Hut or Centenary Hut (I have a faint idea of where it is, but I would literally be searching blindly for it)...

More
26 Oct 2011 05:19 #4511 by ghaznavid
I'm hoping to take a group of school children to the cave to clean it up and check out the footprints (ie as an educational trip, probably in Feb or Mar next year). Do I need EKZNW permission to do this?

More
26 Oct 2011 09:50 #4526 by john mark 1
Replied by john mark 1 on topic Re: Dinosaur Cave
Hey ghaznavid

16 days ago you did not have a clue where the cave was, now all of a sudden you seem to know????????

How much did you pay intrepid to tell you, or did you bribe local guys?? :huh:

More
26 Oct 2011 09:56 #4527 by ghaznavid
:) I "accidentally stumbled upon it" lol... Just joking, I am under strick instructions to neither reveal how I know where it is nor to inform anyone as to the path required to get there...

More