Cowl Cave

04 Jul 2016 21:09 #69056 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Cowl Cave
I'd say that's a decent day but nothing excessively long. Slow going down Cowl Pass initially (maybe 2-4h, no path) but then the path is good all the way back to Monk's Cowl.

Funnily enough, just earlier today I was just thinking about doing this loop as a weekender with a Friday night approach. I haven't done Cowl Pass from the KBC side, but it looks straightforward and shouldn't take very long. i.e. You can probably camp at Mhlawazini on Friday night. Not much longer up to KBC though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Papa Dragon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2016 02:55 - 05 Jul 2016 03:03 #69057 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Cowl Cave
I have done MC to Cowl gully on a Saturday, camped in the saddle and then came down to KBC and then legged along the contour path back to MC. The sound trip was 34km. The only reason for this long way around, was because the route up was quite icy, and we did not feel like reversing it. That was Aug 93

Also gone up to Cowl Cave from MC on the Saturday, slept there and returned on Sunday via the same route back down. This trip was November 98, and it snowed quite heavily on the friday night. The images i have attached are obviously from that 98 trip.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 05 Jul 2016 03:03 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elinda, ghaznavid, saros, Redshift3, Papa Dragon, Biomech

More
05 Jul 2016 06:51 #69058 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Cowl Cave
Awesome pics, thanks Karl. Thanks for the info Stijn...

More
08 Jul 2016 14:18 #69092 by Papa Dragon
Thanks for the info so far..
Is the traverse to the other saddle at the same altitude as the saddle between Cathkin and Monks Cowl? Route finding apparent or tricky?

Thanks in advance...

More
11 Jul 2016 08:17 - 11 Jul 2016 08:24 #69099 by Serious tribe
Hi PD

This image shows that the Cowl Cave (CC)saddle is higher than the other. Cowl Cave is at 3091m, and measuring if off google earth, the other saddle appears to be at 2793. So CC saddle is roughly 300m higher.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 08:24 by Serious tribe.

More
11 Jul 2016 08:38 #69100 by Papa Dragon
Thanks for that ST
What I meant is the traverse between the 2 saddles at the altitude of the lower saddle?
So from the Cathkin/Monks saddle, traverse then ascend?

Thanks

More
12 Jul 2016 06:11 - 12 Jul 2016 06:38 #69113 by Serious tribe
Mmmm...Perhaps this image will highlight it better. There is quite a drop in altitude to where the path going down from the one saddle would allow you to go up the other, as can be seen from the red arrows i have put into the image. The descent would easily be about 150-200m from the Catkin MC saddle to the bright green patch (in the google earth screen grab), and then about a 450-500m ascent back up to the Cowl Cave saddle.

Here is an interesting variation to add spice to one's life, or a quick death! Would it be possible to traverse to the other saddle using the blue line option. Mmmm...interesting!

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 12 Jul 2016 06:38 by Serious tribe.

More
12 Jul 2016 06:54 - 12 Jul 2016 06:56 #69114 by Stijn
Replied by Stijn on topic Cowl Cave
I haven't done it, but the traverse line marked in blue by ST does indeed go. Apparently just a grassy ledge traverse with a bit of exposure. Some details from intrepid on an old thread here: www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/8-drakensberg-hiking/3290-advice-for-solo-berg-hike.html?limitstart=0#3306
Last edit: 12 Jul 2016 06:56 by Stijn.

More
12 Jul 2016 07:09 #69115 by Papa Dragon
Thanks ST!! So you would recommend coming down to the Fork and then ascending...?

From berg.co.za " Both these routes come out at the top of the gully between Monk's Cowl and Cathkin Peak. Reaching the cave from this point involves traversing around the south side of Monk's Cowl at a height slightly above that of this first saddle. This traverse can be done safely in good weather, but in mist it could prove difficult to find a safe route. Once around the corner behind Monk's Cowl, you then have to climb another gully for a further 150 m or so before arriving at the top of the saddle between Champagne Castle and Monk's Cowl." That sounds a bit like your blue route?

Cheers

More
12 Jul 2016 07:13 #69116 by Papa Dragon
Thanks Stijn, I hadn't seen your post when I sent mine..
Thanks for the link too..

Cheers

More