Icidi Pass Cave

02 Dec 2020 09:34 #76343 by tonymarshall
Icidi Pass Cave was created by tonymarshall
While I was at Icidi Cave, I went to look at Icidi Pass Cave, about 200 m horizontal from the top of Icidi Pass and about 60 m vertical below the top of the pass. There is a good trail from the top of Icidi Pass to Icidi Pass Cave.

The photo below shows the location of Icidi Pass Cave, and is similar to the photo in Encounters With The Dragon.

The cave consists of two small flat gravel areas, a small tunnel cave, and a flat grassy area with partial rock wall.

The larger gravel area.

The smaller gravel area, with the larger gravel area to the left and behind.

The small tunnel cave between the gravel and grass areas.

The grass area at the right of the cave layout.

I cannot really give an opinion on the shelter provided at Icidi Pass Cave. The small tunnel cave should be quite sheltered, but I am unsure about how well sheltered the other areas are, they don’t appear well sheltered. However, in Encounters With The Dragon, the climbing and photographic group of six people spent two nights there, so it can’t be too bad. The cave appears to be seldom used, which makes me wonder why there is such an obvious trail going to it.

My gps co ordinates for Icidi Pass Cave are S 28º 48.521 E 28º 56.064 at 3030 m (WGS 84).

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, firephish, PeterHowells, TheRealDave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2020 12:57 - 02 Dec 2020 13:18 #76344 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Icidi Pass Cave
Thanks Tony, that is great information. I suppose these type of overhangs are great when the weather is good, but perhaps no so great when the weather pushes in, and the only way to really know is if you are in the latter situation in the cave.

How big would you say the grass bit in blue is?
Would the tunnel bit above this fit two people?

In this image, s the tunnel section in the red area and the gravel bit in the blue?

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 02 Dec 2020 13:18 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamcligeo

More
02 Dec 2020 18:16 #76348 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Icidi Pass Cave
Hi ST,

In your first photo, the grass area circled in blue is very small, I would say just over 1 m x 1 m, and is sloping. The tunnel cave will take 1 person comfortably, and could probably do 2 people at a squeeze, also with slightly sloping floor area being used.

In your second photo, the blowhole circled red is nothing, and the gravel area circled blue is the two gravel areas in my photos. The grass area in my photo is below and to the left of the blowhole you have circled in red, in other words in front of and to the right of the gravel area. The small tunnel cave is between the two, immediately in front of and to the right of the blue circled gravel area, in the rock face to the right of the gravel area, that is parallel with the angle of the photo. Due to the slope of the terrain, I couldn't take photos from the side or below to show this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe

More