General cave discussion

20 Jan 2010 11:52 #895 by redhead
I wonder if anyone could give me a bit of guidance.
I hiked a fair amount of the Southern Drakensberg
when i lived in Dbn , many years ago.
I'm now in Jhb and would like to try out the central/northern region
at the end of Feb.
From browsing the web two caves appear popular for over night stays.
Marble baths cave & lower injusuti cave. They also seem to have nice pools enroute'.
Which of these caves would you recommend ?
And is there a route option to include Marble baths if we were to stay at lower Injusuti cave ?

looking forward to any assistance

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2010 12:13 - 20 Jan 2010 15:24 #896 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic General cave discussion
Hi Mike

Of the two caves, LIC is the most comfortable (haven't slept in MBC, but it is clearly inferior to LIC) - good shelter, plenty of space, even some straw on the cave floor and some stone walls for (dubious?) shelter from the wind.

Both have very nice pools for swimming/bathing, but MBC is a bit closer to its water, and the Marble Baths could provide a bit more fun (you MUST ride the supertube! - photo below).

The only path connecting the two caves is via the Marble Baths Fork. One route which will provide some stunning views of the escarpment and visits to three or four valleys, would be to walk from the camp to Centenary Hut (via Fergy's cave - no camping allowed there), then along the contour path and down the ridge to LIC, then down the valley to Marble Baths Fork and up to Marble Baths (and the cave), and from there you can walk straight back to camp or follow the contour path to Grindstone Cave or Old Woman stream.

Of all the lower berg areas I have visited, Injasuthi is the most beautiful. It also has some of the most impressive stretches of escarpment in the berg.

This image is hidden for guests.

Hope this helped. Enjoy!

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 20 Jan 2010 15:24 by gollum.

More
20 Jan 2010 14:46 #897 by zen101
Replied by zen101 on topic General cave discussion
Injusuti can also be the hell of the lost hiker :-) so please make sure you have decent pre-planned routes/ GPS tracks to follow because this time of the year lower down the paths are mostly overgrown and hard to follow.
Most beautiful and intimidating(depending what your doing) part of the berg in my opinion.

Cheers

More
20 Jan 2010 15:27 #898 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic General cave discussion
MBC anex is the better cave to sleep in, more of a cave that the main cave, and only around the corner of the main cave.

More
20 Jan 2010 18:01 #899 by redhead
Replied by redhead on topic General cave discussion
Thanks so much for the info - will keep you posted.

More
20 Jan 2010 18:50 #900 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic General cave discussion
I would also like to check out the Injasuthi region in the next few months, is anyone able to comment about the current state of the road? When I phoned the lady at the office she just told me that the road was "BAD!!"

More
20 Jan 2010 22:14 #901 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic General cave discussion
DeonS wrote:

MBC anex is the better cave to sleep in, more of a cave that the main cave, and only around the corner of the main cave.

Agreed, the annexe cave is an excellent, cosy cave. Its very well hidden, and you wouldn't believe that its there until you almost are in it.

Its hard to beat the swimming at Marble Baths. You may not have the place entirely to yourself though since the area has more than one cave and a campsite. Upper Injasuthi Cave will provide more solitude, if thats what you want.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
21 Jan 2010 08:24 #902 by BergAttie
Replied by BergAttie on topic General cave discussion
I assume if you refer to Marble Baths Annex you refer to Junction Cave which is about 500m below marble baths on the right bank of the river - very good cave with the river literally on your doorstep. This in itself can be a problem in very wet flood conditions although I have never seen the river high enough here to create a problem - just play it by ear.Two ways to access - scramble down the river from Marble Baths in dryer conditions, else walk down teh valley from the Marble baths cave untill you are in clear view of the confluence of the Marble Baths river and teh tributary that enters from teh north - go down to the river and follow its right bank untill yo get to the cave. The road to Injasuthi is doable in a Citi Golf. It is in need of maintenance and gettng worse but stil OK if you take care.

If you don't like river corssings stay away from Ijasuthi area in summer - you will get wet. It is however quite dry here at the moment so should be OK.

More
21 Jan 2010 08:42 #903 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic General cave discussion
@BergAttie: nope, Junction Cave is yet another cave altogether. The Marble Baths Annexe is about 70m from the one that it immediately visible. As you approach the main cave there will be a clump of trees in a small depression in the sandstone band above the trail. This hides a delightful cave. There is a trail connecting the 2 caves.

Have driven the road to Injasuthi many times in a normal car without major difficulties. Some of the Southern Berg roads are much worse.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
21 Jan 2010 08:49 #904 by plouw
Replied by plouw on topic General cave discussion
The road is'nt that bad, just try to dodge the tar patches. The authorities should just convert it back to a gravel road, think it will be easier to maintain.

More