General cave discussion

21 Jan 2010 11:09 #905 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic General cave discussion
Drove the road into Injesuthi a year back and was amused to see tar roads being extended into the rural settlements from the main road but the tar road to the camp itself being left to disintegrate. Thought at the time that a local authorities were making a pointed statement with a smile on their faces. Its very much the inverse now of how it once was. I fully agree that a dirt road is better than bad tar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2010 14:26 #906 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic General cave discussion
gollum wrote:

One route which will provide some stunning views of the escarpment and visits to three or four valleys, would be to walk from the camp to Centenary Hut (via Fergy's cave - no camping allowed there), then along the contour path and down the ridge to LIC, then down the valley to Marble Baths Fork and up to Marble Baths

From memory, the path from the contour path down the ridge to LIC is the most indistinct part of what Gollum has described here - its a really nice round trip. The ridge that LIC lies at the foot of does not connect to the contour path - a ridge closer to cent hut does. You'd need to follow the contour path from Cent hut until it runs out (about 45 minutes or so of walking), descend that ridge and cross at least one valley to get onto the ridge which has LIC at its base. If you cross the valley higher up, you'll need to cross more than one valley. The valley would be crossed low down, not far (20-30 minutes from LIC) but the path descending that ridge and the crossing point in the valley was pretty vague, if not non-existant a year or so ago. That said, the off path walking I've done in the Berg has been the best - its also when you see the most wildlife (or perhaps the only antelope these days). I came across a lot of Eland higher up the valley that I'm talking about. The game have learnt where the paths are. For those worried about erosion, its only when you create new paths next to old paths that there is a problem. A few hikers off piste isn't ever going to be a problem - I think.

More
02 Jun 2010 12:56 #1334 by Scag
Replied by Scag on topic General cave discussion
Did a hike to these two caves over a weekend early May.

I am pleased to report that they are both in excellent condition, and have been respected by my any hikers using them.

More
03 Jun 2010 21:35 #1343 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic General cave discussion
Appreciate the update. Am pleased we are building up some "real-time data" on this site.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
05 Jun 2011 18:56 #3038 by Richg
Replied by Richg on topic General cave discussion
Hi guys

A couple of my mates and I are doing a trip in late June-planning to hike a full day, sleep in a cave/hut and hike back the next day. We'd prefer to be able to do a round trip and not cover the same ground on the way back. None of us really have high-tech equipment and I know it's going to be crazy cold.

Do you have any suggestions for either specific cave-hikes that fit the bill or else which general area will let us get the biggest bang for our buck in terms of 1 day hiking each way? I'm just interested in hearing about others' favourite spots. We've heard amazing things about Roland/Twin/Bell's cave but not sure if they're all accessible within our time frame?

Thanks!

More
06 Jun 2011 16:18 - 06 Jun 2011 16:18 #3046 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic General cave discussion
Hi Richg and welcome!

Roland's Cave hits the nail on the head! Now that Mike's Pass is re-opened, you can get dropped off at the top, ascend Organ Pipes Pass via Thuthumi Ridge to the cave, and descend via the Camel route the next day. Does require a reasonable fitness, and you shouldn't loose time in the morning of the first day, so that you get to the cave with enough time to get water, settle in and enjoy the sunset. You'll also have to carry water to the cave from the area around the top of the pass. The Camel route may well be icy along certain spots.

Almost don't want to suggest anything else, cause Rolands is a great option. Bell Cave is good too, combined with a climb up Cathedral Peak, but you'd have to return the same way. Less sheltered, and you'd probably have to get water in the form of snow and ice.

Can suggest more if you want, and are you considering Little Berg caves too, without going to the escarpment?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2011 16:18 by intrepid.

More
17 Jun 2011 20:33 #3158 by Richg
Replied by Richg on topic General cave discussion
Thanks intrepid!

That sounds amazing, I think we're going to go ahead and do it next weekend. I'l let you know how it went and probably ask for more info for the next trip!

More
18 Jun 2011 15:22 #3160 by Mattalica
Replied by Mattalica on topic General cave discussion
Sounds like you and your mates will be braving the cold at the same time as us!
Hopefully we all get awesome weather
- enjoy

More
20 Jun 2011 09:28 - 20 Jun 2011 09:31 #3162 by Scag
Replied by Scag on topic General cave discussion
Twins requires you to be very fit to complete in a day. From what I understand about Rolands cave, it is relatively hard to find (not marked on the map on account of its dangerous position, but in the vacinity of other caves), and dangerous if there is snow about. If you are considering Bell cave, I would suggest the elusive Trenchers cave instead (But this is notoriously hard to find). I had a bad experience at Bell cave, its not very sheltered.

If Southern berg is an option:
Try cobham. You could overnight in Mzimkhuluwana hut (easy), then on day two (a little harder) hike up to the bushman paintings at siphongweni rock and down the other side to the pholela river.

Or overnight at lakes cave (hike along the river). Then walk along the ridge all the way to siphongweni rock and go down to the river there.

Gxalingenwa cave is great too. Do the emerald stream route past pinnacle rock on day one, and then back along the giants cup trail on day 2.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2011 09:31 by Scag. Reason: clarification

More
21 May 2012 14:47 #53969 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic General cave discussion
On Langalibalele Pass there is a cave I noticed on the North bank in the main escarpment rock bank. Lets call it "This Cave":

Has anyone checked out This Cave before? I am hoping to check it out on the way down the pass on 2 June, but as the hike is ridiculously far for a day as it is, I doubt I will get a chance.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More