Drakensberg Caves GPS Co-ordinates

11 Feb 2010 14:48 #945 by pjvrey
** This thread discusses the content article: Drakensberg Caves GPS Co-ordinates **

Just check your altitude on Marble baths cave 1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2010 15:04 #946 by intrepid
pjvrey wrote:

** This thread discusses the content article: Drakensberg Caves GPS Co-ordinates **

Just check your altitude on Marble baths cave 1.

Thanks, corrected. Should have been 1810m.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
02 Apr 2013 06:26 #56450 by Serious tribe
Hi forum

Does anyone have the co-ordinates for the three caves below North Peak and Rockeries. They are Scaly, Sunshine and unnamed cave. They are not on the data base, but someone may have them stashed away somewhere. I want to add them to my growing ge data base.

Thanks

More
02 Apr 2013 19:50 #56474 by intrepid
Scaly Cave is S28 53.651 E29 03.697. The other two are really obvious from the trail and fairly accurately marked on the map, just never had the time to walk to them and go take a look. Scaly is NOT an obvious find I might add!

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian

More
03 Apr 2013 08:47 #56488 by tiska
Scaly is the one to pick in this valley. Sunshine is a large cave and I have known it to be used as a stash site for dope. It is a little awkward to cross to compared with Scaly. Also Sunshine cave is very visible. You'll be noticed when there.

When I first went to the Mnweni area I stayed at the unnamed cave downstream of Scaly. Then it had a stone building in the eastern corner with semi-permanent occupation with cows in the overhangs nearby. I didn't stay there again because Scaly is further upstream and gets you in to Rockeries Pass faster.

More
03 Apr 2013 18:32 #56502 by tonymarshall
Sunshine Cave S28 53.578 E29 03.529

As mnt_tiska indicated it's a large, obvious cave, with tricky, steep slopes to cross the river and a bushy approach, as evident in the foreground of the photo below.

When we stayed there in 2011 it was in good condition, although showing signs of recent use with a lot of grass rope lying around.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian

More
04 Apr 2013 05:56 #56509 by Serious tribe
Thanks all for your info. It can now populate my GE data set.

More
20 Aug 2013 18:37 - 20 Aug 2013 18:40 #58137 by tonymarshall
Some more info on these caves. Over the long weekend we stayed over at Sunshine Cave on our way in to do Nguza Pass, and being early and better than expected weather, took the time to go and check out unnamed cave and Scaly Cave.

Unnamed cave is quite high up above the path along the river, with a steep path zigzagging up the ridge to the cave. The last section of the ridge to the cave is on a very bushy sideslope.

The cave is a long overhang with a narrow level terrace, lots of rocks around and hardly any cleared level areas.

There is a waterfall above the cave.

The cave is at S 28 53.542 E 29 04.077. With Scaly and Sunshine Caves nearby and more comfortable and accessible I see little point in using this cave. While approaching the cave through the bush, we decided that it was unnamed as any name would be unprintable. There are also two smaller overhangs in the same rock band to the left of the cave (visible in the top photo) but we didn't go to look at them due to the thick bush.

Scaly Cave is a small cave with a low roof, which as intrepid indicated is not that obvious.

Viewed from across the river on the approach to Sunshine Cave, Scaly Cave is at the bottom of the rock band to the left of the small ridge coming down from the rock band in the centre of the photo. The main path is visible in the burnt grass, with the short path going up the ridge to Scaly Cave visible to the right of the stream/gully coming down from above.

We chose to overnight in Sunshine Cave from a comfort point of view, and with water more easily obtainable.

Last edit: 20 Aug 2013 18:40 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ccjoubert

More
21 Aug 2013 00:22 #58142 by Serious tribe
Hi Tony

Did you take any images in the unnamed cave of the area with the rock wall which is at the end of the first section just before you get into the long grass?

More
21 Aug 2013 05:20 - 21 Aug 2013 05:26 #58145 by tonymarshall
Yes, this one, it partially shows the rock wall through the trees.

It was quite difficult to get photos with all the trees and bushes, and resulting light and dark contrasts.

Last edit: 21 Aug 2013 05:26 by diverian. Reason: added picture

More