Drakensberg Cable Car

24 Oct 2013 06:15 #58872 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
Goodness me, what a load...

That is a pretty one-eyed business plan and the SWOT analysis is a joke.

It is extremely flawed in so many ways.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2013 20:28 #58896 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
I've been working my way through the business plan. Unfortunately despite supposedly being on study leave I had a very busy work week last week, but I finally go though the first 20 pages this evening.

One of my biggest concerns is that they keep harping on about introducing rock climbing and abseiling into the Drakensberg. Similarly I personally would like to introduce the idea of riding a motor bike on the highway - really, do they know nothing about the history of the Berg. Around 300km of crags and they think nobody climbs them - what planet do they live on?

But aside from that, the fact that they think Berg rock is suitable to take the masses on is rather insane. We know that heavy traffic on rocks increases erosion (oh wait, I forgot, erosion is only caused by hikers who would rather use a cable car to get to the top) and the rock isn't great to start with. What are the odds of pulling in tourists to climb on brittle rock that would have to be bolted/top roped via fixed anchors (not that I think they care about the bolting policy) - if they come for a cable car why would they do a long walk-in to start with. I.e. they have to be referring to climbing on Berg sandstone which I am told is worse than the basalt.

But anyway - the summary of my issues so far (excuse the notes being in rough form, page numbers refer to the printed no's not the page as per Adobe):

“It is envisaged that this will be a one of a kind attraction providing tourists of all ages and physical prowess the opportunity to ascend in comfort and safety close to the summit of Mount Amery where visitors will be able to enjoy (on most days) extensive vistas of the Drakensberg escarpment top and of the valleys below. On cloudy days, the vista will be generally be a mountain peaks jutting out from a moving sea of white cloud filling the valleys below.” Page 2

Clear on most days? They haven’t accounted for the fact that the top is often what is in thick mist with no view.

Page 3 – it is a fairly long drive from Witsieshoel. Even if the road is fixed it’s still over 100km.

Page 3: “The planning team envisage the establishment of environmentally friendly links between the Drakensberg Cableway and neighbouring attractions thereby facilitating (under strict management) access to this high altitude montane region of KwaZulu-Natal, the Free State and Lesotho, for groups of more adventurous environmentally responsible eco-tourists.”

Cable cars always come with tons of litter – this ascertain isn’t true. How will they restrict it to non-littering eco-tourists only?

Pg 4 (N3 traffic) – that is a 120km round trip add on, and at least 2 hours needed to get up and back down.

Pg 6 (import of materials) – we are trying to boost local economy, surely we should buy local if it is available. Also do the local engineers have the required expertise?

Pg 8 (ticket price) – average price of R300 for a return trip? With pensioners and children discounts (and the fact that children will probably make up at least 1/3 of total traffic) – that’s R350 to R400 per adult. Could go up Sani for that price. Also is this incl or excl VAT?

Pg 9 (outsourcing) – why is the restaurant being outsourced, that would be the most profitable part of the business.

Pg 9 (outsourcing) – not relevant but why do they say they’ll outsource the audit. They can’t exactly do an independent audit in house.

Pg 9 (controls) – not a relevant point but how does GAAP control expenditure? Also would have to comply with IFRS, not GAAP.

Pg 11 point 5 – most people like the tranquillity of the Berg? Then why would they want to stay at a resort that is seeing such high volumes of people?

Pg 16 point 2 – there are already plenty of these wedding/conference centres in the Berg. Cathedral Peak Hotel, Cavern, Giants Castle etc all have the facilities.

Pg 16 point 4 – quad bike trails hopefully is not referring to on the escarpment. Also where are the planning to do these adventure sports? Berg rock isn’t safe for this.

Pg 16 in general – I don’t see how any of these require a cable car for them to become possible? Also lots of them already exist.

Summary on pg 17 – also raising the extreme sports point.

More
27 Oct 2013 20:36 #58897 by ghaznavid
I also never posted my notes on the feasibility study - excuse the rough form, but sadly my academics and work must be prioritised over this fight.

Excuse the very rough form

If they plan to comply with environmental assessments etc, why are they proposing a site on land that isn’t state owned and isn’t a protected area? (assessment criteria 2, page 8)
The terrain was only assessed as adequate? (page 11) Page 12 location also contradicts FAQ on this.
Point 6 page 11 – where did they look? Ifidi Pass has outstanding views, much better than below Mount Amery.
Page 12 (location) “It is also more advantageous to the traditional authority and local community if the development occurs on community land.” Elaborate?

Rehad of land is good

Illegal border crossings – eg will we allow Basotho’s into SA?

“The mountains are a key tourist attraction and one that should be accessible to all who want to enjoy their beauty. This includes tourists with limited time, people with disabilities and those less adventurous tourists.” (page 6) – it already is, Sani Pass? Also would time limited tourists go 2 hours of driving + 2 hours min of cable car out of their way? Time limited would probably also fly from Durban to Jo'burg

“Additionally increased visitor numbers are putting strain on the environmentally limited existing access routes to the escarpment.” (page 6) – correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t hiking numbers been down in recent years, club is definitely down. There are also already over 100 passes, many don’t get many ascents – eg Manxome, Bollard, Wilson, Rhino, Middle Mzimkhulu, Tsepeng, Hilton, Injisuthi, Xeni, Cockade, Christmas, Inner Tower Gully etc.

“Currently the mountain passes, which are most easily accessible to tourists, are being heavily overused and alternatives for getting to the escarpment need to be assessed “ (page 6), ok for Mashai Pass and Chain Ladders, but the locals also use these, a south Berg local won’t go to the north berg to use this?

What about other initiatives, eg increasing visits to nature reserves

They identified rock art, but so few official sites, e.g. Game Pass has dirt road

“In Lesotho there are some emergent small hiking and pony-trekking businesses with the potential for expansion to incorporate a “trans-frontier mountain hiking way” and which could involve many communities in the provision of overnight facilities and provision of food.” Page 28 – EBC? Centenary Hut

Page 38 opportunities “Almost no easy access to the top of the Drakensberg currently” Sani Pass, chain ladders, tons of Lesotho roads?
Also “Unique attraction in KwaZulu-Natal and in South Africa” – already so many in Europe, how is this unique?
“Highest Cable car in South Africa” – surely Africa’s highest? Not much competition though

The List of ancillary benefits/opportunities (page 39) can all exist in the absence of a cable car

Reopening of Little Switzerland? That is a case of fixing a road, don’t need a cable car for that

“There are numerous sites where dinosaur footprints and other markings can be seen, as well as fossil evidence of their presence.” – other than Dino Cave? Marketing?

Would it bring new tourists to SA, or are we just redistributing?

Oportunities, page 38 “Capitalising on the international spotlight on the area for being a world heritage site “ – its not in the WHS?

Page 40 “Currently there are only two ways to access the escarpment top – by foot or by 4x4 up Sani Pass. Neither of these options are available to most tourists.” – also helicopter. Why are these not options not available? Sani Taxi isn't expensive.

Their top looks like Singati, not Mount Amery

Are the prices they quote ex or inc extra costs for higher wind tolerance? Looks like ex.

Page 50 “Thunderstorms in the late afternoon and early evening cause the most rainfall with peak rain being between 19h00 and 21h00. Storms tend to be short and shallow. Escarpment weather stations experience fewer high intensity events than lower stations.” That doesn’t sound right? Is this the case in the northern Berg, because it isn’t where I usually hike.

Page 52 “Cableways can have a positive impact on the environment,” – really? Explain?

Page 52 “Tourists will be able to travel to the summit (escarpment top) and walk on controlled walkways without creating erosion and depositing litter along the existing mountain passes.” – are they planning to fence this off or something? They also earlier referred to hikers going up the cableway, hiking to Witsieshoek and hiking back the next day. The controlled walkways are also damaging in themselves.

Page 52 “One just has to look at the erosion on two of the most used Drakensberg pathways, the Chain Ladder and Ntonjelana Pass to know that hikers (together with the donkey trains used for the carrying of loads) are having a huge impact on the environment.” Locals won’t use the cableway.

Environ asses (page 54) How do they plan to power the top station? Can’t use generators without killing air.

Page 55 – what is their plan for water at the top? E.g. by Sani where there are ugly pipes everywhere.

Page 56 “Potential sources of pollution are identified as being associated with inadequate or inefficient methods of wastewater disposal associated with the cable car stations and also the ancillary facilities that would occur around them, such as shops, restaurants and accommodation.
In the case of the uppermost station, it would be best if these facilities were kept to the minimum.” – biggest opportunity is a restaurant up there and they can’t do it without killing environment?

Page 58 “It is also to be noted that the present situation of trails that are used up and down the Drakensberg in these parts have caused severe erosion in places, with little or no efforts apparent to mitigate these impacts or rehabilitate eroded areas. In comparison to the trails system, the cableways potential impacts a minimal, and it is for these sorts of reason that cableways are often selected in various parts of the world.” – won’t fix the problem, also examples? What about rockfalls?

Page 69 – suggestion that movements of tourists need to be controlled. How? Also can’t hike to Witsieshoek without crossing the border.

Page 70 – example of erosion on Sentinel trail. Exactly! But how does this impact severely on the environment? Should all trails be closed?

Photos – they have been selective with the view, but that isn’t the proposed sites view.

FAQ2 – weather. Can’t take people up in blizzards, and they won’t want to be up there in storms or gales. Also when it is cold/misty/raining at the top - won't be pleasant

FAQ3 – security. Issue for SAPS and border security? Chatted to a police officer a few weeks back and he said they are short staffed to do this. It isn’t something that can be properly monitored. Inadequate resources. It’s a cableway problem

FAQ5 – WHS – how can a cableway exist in the absence of trails at the top?

More
22 Nov 2013 09:50 #59081 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
Hi All

I heard on ECR that some MEC is doing a talk followed by an open session about the Cable car. It seems to be close to Bergville. Anybody going?
Selous

More
22 Nov 2013 10:31 #59082 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
Apparently some pamphlets in Zulu were being handed out at the Bergville Taxi rank yesterday. It seems there is some sort of informative session being held at the Busingata Clinic. This seems to be aimed at the locals living in this area. No efforts have been made to engage the public at large. Non-public meetings are certainly being held currently, as well as ones aimed at certain key groups of people. If anyone can find out more info about what tomorrow's meeting is about please us know.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selous

More
22 Nov 2013 12:04 #59083 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Drakensberg Cable Car
Very Interesting Intrepid.

I heard it on East Coast Raido on Damon Beards show. It sounded quite formal and was an invite to all interested parties to share their points of view. I listen to ECR fairly often but that was the first time I heard that message. I thought it quite strange that I heard it for the 1st time so close to the event.

Regards
Selous

More
22 Nov 2013 13:05 #59084 by intrepid
If they really did intend for the greater public to attend, it certainly was extremely poorly advertised. Not even all the residents living in that area know much about it - there have only been those pamphlets written in Zulu. It's also interesting to note the meetings going on before an proper impact assessment has even been done. Smacks of hidden agendas and predetermined ideas regardless of the outcome of the EIA.

More
25 Nov 2013 19:38 #59089 by Sterkhorn
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid, ruthtbl

More
26 Nov 2013 20:20 #59091 by intrepid
The silence on the actual outcome of this meeting is interesting.

More
26 Nov 2013 20:39 #59092 by ghaznavid

intrepid wrote: The silence on the actual outcome of this meeting is interesting.

I was also wondering about that. Good to know the local community is getting involved though.

More