Who is doing or has done the Grand Traverse

16 Sep 2013 20:20 #58503 by antmanhowes
Attempt GT Challenge: 22 September - 28 September 2013
Anthony Howes
Dave Burns
Keith Hawyes
Gerard Rudolph

Teachers from CURRO Hillcrest. Attempt to see how far we can get in seven days.

You can follow us on:

www.facebook.com/DrakensbergGT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2013 20:08 #58797 by antmanhowes
Was a good learning curve! We will definitely take it on again next year.

Witsiehoek - Mount-Aux-Sources - Cleft Peak - Champagne's Castle - Monks Cowl = 4 days

Hiking conditions were very good, fitness levels not so good. Our packs were too heavy and we need to work on our food.

Also we should look at hiking further in the dark if the going is not too slow. I felt that we also needed a proper stop every 4 hours rather than go for 8 hour stretches.

We know the route for the Northern Section I would like to do the rest first get to know the route before I put it all together.

I use Salomon Labs they were comfortable and light but the fine dust on the paths mixed in with sheep and cow dung allowed fine dust into the shoe, which on day 4 start to cause abrasion. I had 2 small blisters but that was enough to make it uncomfortable and most likely would have got worse!

Would like to try the Salomon Gortex boot next time.

More
14 Oct 2013 20:19 #58799 by ghaznavid
Nice - would be awesome to get some pics and a report [hint, hint :thumbsup: ]

antmanhowes wrote: We know the route for the Northern Section I would like to do the rest first get to know the route before I put it all together.

The other two thirds is much harder than that stretch - well it was for me anyway. I don't know what is more deadly - starting with the Mashai, No-Mans and Hodgeson's ridge or ending with them. Giant's is roughly in the middle of a KZN GT (i.e. Witsieshoek to Bushman's Nek) - so train hard. But personally most of my favourite Berg valleys are south of Monk's Cowl - so train hard and enjoy :woohoo:

antmanhowes wrote: Would like to try the Salomon Gortex boot next time.

I did the GT last year in Salomon Gortek boots - they held up well (aside from when it snowed), but they were falling apart before I even reached 400km with them (that took me 10 months).

A word of warning - I had some serious achilles tendon strain from those boots. Make sure you tie them in the middle rather than the top if your achilles is starting to ache.
The following user(s) said Thank You: antmanhowes

More
11 Dec 2013 19:50 #59213 by texasconverse
Have you heard what week n April MBC will go? Is it always the first week? What would the dates for the GT be then? I didn't end up going and want to make a plan to go April. Thanks.

More
12 Dec 2013 06:14 #59215 by Viking
Advance Notices

12 - 24th April
Grand Traverse 2014 - Bushman’s Nek to Sentinel (South to north) Grade 5.
Only for the very fit and committed.
Start your fitness programme NOW.- 230km
Grant Wilkinson
081 3725611

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: texasconverse

More
12 Dec 2013 06:52 #59216 by ghaznavid
So they are doing south to north again. That day 1 is a real killer...

I might do an Orange River GT equivalent over the masses of public holidays in April next year, head up Chain ladders, GT route to above Rockeries and follow the Orange to the point where it comes back to being close to the escarpment edge and head return via the Mzimude river - perhaps finishing up the GT route with Isicutula and Thamathu Pass. Its pie in the sky right now and would require people who are up for it, but I am looking at it as a possibility.

More
12 Dec 2013 08:36 - 27 Mar 2014 11:58 #59217 by Sabine
Am planning a 10 day North to South GT in April next year.

Anyone interested?
Let me know and we can take it from there.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2014 11:58 by Sabine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: texasconverse

More
17 Dec 2013 18:05 #59247 by christof
I'm really keen. I mapped out my own route South-North over the same time (12 days), but think it will be easier logistically to join an expedition, rather than lead one.
No previous GT experience, but have done and led multiple overnighters in the Berg and 3 Comrades.
How can I get in touch with you directly?
Christof (0795383749)

More
17 Dec 2013 18:07 #59248 by christof
Any reason why you are avoiding the long weekend of 27April - 1 May? Would make these dates work out easier on my leave.

More
17 Dec 2013 18:37 - 27 Mar 2014 11:55 #59249 by Sabine
I am open to other dates at this stage...
Last edit: 27 Mar 2014 11:55 by Sabine.

More