Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. This is the place for all outdoor gear talk!

TOPIC: Backpacks

Backpacks 24 Nov 2011 10:39 #4988

I currently use a K-Way Venture 70 pack (the pack is about 2.5kgs and is 70 litres), it comes with a waterproof cover and has everything you'd expect from a pack.

What has been bugging me recently is its weight. On a thread earlier this year about the weight of backpacks it was pointed out that if you use a 40 litre pack, you can still carry enough stuff for up to a 4 day hike (if you pack well), but you tend to save weight due to the pack being lighter.

At this point in time I have been unable to find another brand that competes on price with K-Way for packs, they one I'm currently looking at is their K-Way Lite 40L Hiking Pack, it weighs 767g and costs R500. Has anyone got any feedback on this pack or know of any competing packs?

I also had a look at First Ascent's range, its more expensive and heavier...
  • ghaznavid
  • Platinum Participant
  • Thank you received: 684
"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him." J R R Tolkien
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2011 10:45 by ghaznavid.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Backpacks 24 Nov 2011 10:59 #4989

When you're looking for smaller bags, pay particular attention to the actual packing space. I have a 30l Raid Revo AR pack which, when packed to the brim, looks like a 40-50l pack. And I've seen other "30l" packs which look like they can barely fit a sleeping bag.

Basically what I'm saying is that manufacturers seem to use different standards when quoting liter-sizes and it doesn't always mean the same thing!
  • Stijn
  • Platinum Participant
  • Thank you received: 228

Re: Backpacks 24 Nov 2011 11:33 #4990

There is most certainly merit in the thought that buying a smaller bag will save you in weight. Not only does the actual backpack weigh less but you'll also have less space to pack those just-in-case crap. Even on a extended trip a 65l should be more than enough. There are the standard items you pack weather it is a one night hike or multiple day one like sleeping bag, mattress, stove, etc. The only thing that will change is the amount of food you take and that does not take much space. Unless you are one of those hikers that pops out a fresh pair of clothing for each day, keep you pack small.

I'm also on the lookout for a new pack just because mine will not last much longer and at some stage it's going to drop me. The problem is that all the 65l'ish new packs seem to weigh 2.5kg upward :thumbsdown:

My current pack, Bigfoot Summit, is a 60l but weighs only 1.4kg. It is really comfortable and has all the needed features but none of the luxuries like hydration bladder compatible, which I don't care about to much as I still prefer bottles. It does not have a splash cover which also doesn't bother me as I pack everything in zip-locks or plastic bags and line my whole pack with a bin bag. In the end I feel you pay in money and sweat for a whole lot of nice-to-haves. I'm sure given the option I'll again go for a lighter more basic, and therefore cheaper, backpack but with good quality.

I think the biggest problem manufactures has is that the consumer will fall for all the gimmicks in the shop because 2.5kg on its own doesn't feel to bad in store, carry that bugger filled.....(sweating face icon) and therefore everyone adds more and more features (weight) to their packs.

I would like to see what other members consider "must-haves" on backpacks?

@Stijn - I've seen the same thing but it is not as bad as manufactures lying about sleeping bag ratings as you can not see it immediately.

Note to Chris: how about getting us some nice new icons on the next site overall?
  • Boerkie
  • Gold Participant
  • Thank you received: 18

Re: Backpacks 24 Nov 2011 12:54 #4992

@ Boerkie: Those are definitely valid points, although based on the review I assume that the new sleeping bag you just got could fit into a 2 litre pack B)

@ Stijn: I will definitely look out for that.

My current pack has ice climbing loops, I don't even know what an ice climber would use those for, but as I don't even do real rock climbing, its just unnecessary weight.

I do use my hydration bladder compartment and find the rain cover useful (although they get blown all over the place in a wind).

Any way, it would be nice to get some feedback on whether or not there are actually lighter weight packs than K-Way's one. Bearing in mind that I use 90% of my tooth paste and then open a new one so that I can use the old one on hikes and thus cut 85g off my pack, to be able to cut 1.8kg off my pack would be awesome...
  • ghaznavid
  • Platinum Participant
"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him." J R R Tolkien

Re: Backpacks 24 Nov 2011 14:06 #4993

Hey Ghaznavid,

I recently read the older threads you mention in your first post. Enjoyed your tons per hour theory! B)
  • tonymarshall
  • VE Advisory
  • Thank you received: 527

Re: Backpacks 25 Nov 2011 07:46 #4996

@ghaznavid: that's a pretty light pack, I'll go check it out in the stores. Just make sure the padding and support are adequate for say up to 15kg or a little more. And Stijn is right, the standards in pack volume differ. Check how much the pack expands vertically (upwards). As far as what's readily available in SA, check out the Deuter ACT Lite series too, those are pretty good weight and volume-wise. I have a 45+10 that I use even for winter hikes. Its 1.6kg though.

As for ice axe loops, those are pretty standard. The spike-end of the axe is pushed down through the loop at the bottom till the head catches on it. The shaft is then flipped upwards, towards the pack and fastened by the strap at the top of the pack. You may want to keep those on if you ever intend using that pack for trips to other mountains where snow-travel and snow slopes are involved, since you'll need a walking axe or general mountaineering axe for that (its not all for ice climbing tools). You'll save more weight by living without the splash cover (assuming your clothes and sleeping bag are stashed inside a plastic bag inside your pack already).

@Boerkie (and anyone else): Google the emoticons that you'd like to include, send them to me and I'll see how usable they are. They are fairly easy to add.
  • intrepid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 693
Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Re: Backpacks 25 Nov 2011 08:18 #4997

According to the website its 17.5 x 23.5 x 51 cm, which sounds pretty small, but I must check it out before I assume this. They don't have the size of my Venture 70 on the site, but they do have the 60 litre step down listed at 67 x 34 x 22 cm (I wish they would put these no's in the same order each time), so comparatively thats not a huge step down compared to the 1.8kg weight loss.

Where exactly on the pack are the ice climbing loops, I don't even know what these look like!
  • ghaznavid
  • Platinum Participant

Re: Backpacks 25 Nov 2011 09:33 #4998

The ice climbing loops are on the outside back of the pack. On my one, they are the black loops just above the lowest compartment. Her is an image and a link www.trails.com/how_1085_attach-ice-axe-pack.html

The weight in the pack per size, apart from the straps etc, will also be based on the thickness of the material and therefore the durability and strength of the pack. The more durable the heavier the pack will be, but it will last longer.

The pack that i have now is a Mountain Designs pack called the Edge, no relation to the dude who plays guitar in U2 :laugh: It is the best pack that i have owned as it sits very well even with a heavy load due to the very clever BAR harness system, and this is not sales hype it definitely works.

I had a Thar for many years and that was good. Part of the extra weight on mine is a thickened pad section where you would place your crampons, I can't remove it because it is an integral part of the side strap system. Anyway who cares, I carry to much camera gear that weighs enough anyhow, so what is an extra couple of g's.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Serious tribe
  • Platinum Participant
  • Thank you received: 130

Re: Backpacks 25 Nov 2011 10:12 #4999

@ Gaznavid

According to the sizes and my calculations the pack only has a volume of 21l. And their 60l come only to 50l :ohmy: Put a plastic bag inside the backpack and fill it with 40l of water, if it does not take 40l you can turn to the new consumer protection act :thumbsup:

@ ST

Wow it looks like a great pack. Weight? Price? Available in SA?

What I would like to see on a pack is some pockets integrated into the hip belt, you know for the snacks-on-the-go and a bottle holder would be real nice. The bottle holder and pockets can even be on the shoulder straps. It would be great to carry some weight on front to balance the pack and distribute the weight. I use a lumber pack which after some alterations clips onto my hip belt.
  • Boerkie
  • Gold Participant
  • Thank you received: 18

Re: Backpacks 25 Nov 2011 10:19 #5000

Ok, so thats what those things are :)

I definitely wouldn't cut things off my pack to save weight, but a lighter pack may be my best bet in that never ending quest to save myself from carrying almost a third of my body weight (including a full hydration bladder in the pack) up the Berg...

I can't imagine carrying that many lenses etc up the Berg, my bridge camera is heavy enough. The only thing I wish I could do with it is attach a polarised filter to it, is it possible to adapt a polarised filter for an SLR to something that would fit a Fujifilm Bridge camera by any chance?
  • ghaznavid
  • Platinum Participant