Knuckles Traverse Pass

11 Mar 2019 20:20 - 10 Nov 2022 21:37 #74755 by intrepid
This is not an obvious pass in that it crosses the escarpment at a very low lying, grassy plateau that is dwarfed by the Devil's Knuckles themselves, yet it does cross the range and the border.  The summit of the pass is labelled as 1 in the photo below taken from Tarn Cave:

The summit of the pass could be reached through a number of approach routes from the valleys below, but an established track leads to the summit by traversing below the Knuckles - hence the suggested name of Knuckles Traverse Pass. Very roughly speaking the track runs at the height of the label 1 in the photo.  It wasn't a well worn path when I did it, more of a track, but definitely an established route and easy walking. The route is very scenic and can easily be combined with one of the other passes around the Knuckles as a day outing from Tarn Cave.

A GPS track can be downloaded here .

A trip write-up including this route can be read here .

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2022 21:37 by intrepid. Reason: Fixed link
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealDave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2022 20:38 - 04 Nov 2022 21:25 #78108 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Knuckles Traverse Pass
Hi guys,

We are a group of 3 that are planning to do a South-to-North GT in December. As a variation to doing Thamathu Pass, the plan is to overnight at Tarn Cave on Day 1, traverse the Knuckles the 2nd day, join the top of Thamathu pass and make our way to our tenting spot at Mzimude.  

By looking at satellite images of the Knuckles as well as Strava tracks, there appears to be an upper and lower "contour" path (or perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me?

This image is hidden for guests.

) . Would just like to find out if anyone can perhaps confirm which option is the preferred one? By looking at the "Knuckles Traverse Pass" on the downloads section, it seems to indicate the lower option. Our packs will be super heavy as it will be an unsupported GT and I want to limit any unnecessary difficulties 

This image is hidden for guests.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 04 Nov 2022 21:25 by supertramp.

More
05 Nov 2022 18:45 - 05 Nov 2022 18:47 #78109 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Knuckles Traverse Pass
There are more than just two... I've done this route a few times and don't think I've ever stuck to one path, just go with whichever looks stronger until it dies, then look up and down for the next best path.
Lots of livestock wander around there, so it can be quite a maze, but it's not difficult to see where to go as long as you have some visibility.
When in doubt stay high as some paths would lead to the lower berg
Last edit: 05 Nov 2022 18:47 by Smurfatefrog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp

More
06 Nov 2022 10:46 #78112 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Knuckles Traverse Pass
Thanks for the information Smurfatefrog, much appreciated! Now I have a good idea what to expect. 
I can definitely see some of them leading into the lower Berg, with other Strava / gpx tracks showing a steep ascend again close to the exit point. Will be sure to follow your advice. 

More