Dagga Nek Pass

21 Jul 2015 11:24 #64603 by ghaznavid
Dagga Nek Pass was created by ghaznavid
I am sure there is a thread about this pass somewhere on VE, but I can't find it.

I am looking for all the details that I can get on Dagga Nek Pass - how to get there, does it have a trail, what is it like, how long is it, even the name of of the endangered flower that only grows on its north facing banks (if such a flower exists) :laugh:

All info is really helpful and appreciated.

Also - are there any good caves between Dagga Nek and Namahadi?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2015 23:40 #64618 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Dagga Nek Pass
The land accessing the pass from below belongs (or perhaps used to belong) to a chap who called the area the "Maluti Caves Trail". There used to be a website for it which seems to have vanished, but you will still come across references and write-ups such as this one (which has a lot info that will help you):
www.footprint.co.za/maluticaves.htm

There were three huts in the area with very nice facilities, but I am not sure what the current status is of this place since I haven't been there for some time. The Tseke hut was the first hut and general parking spot - you get there by driving through Phuthaditjhaba, there is a critical turn-off from the usual road going to Witsieshoek, just after a bridge. There is a 4x4 track leading to the Mkhondo hut, which is near the base of the pass. I haved used that track before with a vehicle but cannot comment on the current status. From Mkhondo hut it is very straightforward and relatively quick to get up the pass. The pass itself is easy and has a trail - it is also easily identified from the Mkhondo hut area (which may or may not be overgrown depending on traffic). Talking about flowers, there is a spot on route where the Watsonias seem to flourish.

There is a small cave near the top of the pass, not the nicest and most cheerful. There are caves on route to Namahadi from there - a good one being just before the rise leading up to the flatish ridge extending from Namahadi summit.

There are two maps, the one as a JPEG attached, also readily found on the web, as well as the PDF version which I have also attached. Note Thaba Putswa hut is Mkhondo hut.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
23 Jul 2015 09:57 #64634 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Dagga Nek Pass
Just managed to get hold of Jacana - the company through whom the Maluti Caves Trail used to be booked. They tell me the huts have all burned down and the trail has been closed.

More
23 Jul 2015 10:04 - 23 Jul 2015 10:05 #64635 by ghaznavid
Dave G has just sent me this photo of the pass:

Looks pretty straightforward. Apparently it starts around 2000m and tops out around 2900m. Should be pretty easy.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 23 Jul 2015 10:05 by ghaznavid.

More
23 Jul 2015 15:52 #64642 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Dagga Nek Pass

ghaznavid wrote: Just managed to get hold of Jacana - the company through whom the Maluti Caves Trail used to be booked. They tell me the huts have all burned down and the trail has been closed.

I feared as much but did not have reliable info to go by. I'm guessing this means you can't safely leave your car at Tseke hut, so you will have to arrange a drop off from Witsieshoek for example.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
23 Aug 2015 22:14 #64844 by ghaznavid
My GPS track for this pass is now under the downloads section of the forum.

I rate this pass is worth giving a go - for those of you who enjoy trying something different :thumbsup:

More
14 Jul 2016 18:50 - 06 Jan 2019 04:11 #69154 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Dagga Nek Pass
Here is the trip report from when Ghaz and I did Dagga Nek Pass in Aug 2015
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakenberg-trips-free-state-berg/55863-free-state-traverse-flames-in-transit.html
Last edit: 06 Jan 2019 04:11 by intrepid. Reason: Updated to new link

More