Bollard Pass

31 May 2010 08:45 - 21 Dec 2018 23:04 #1324 by Stijn
Bollard Pass was created by Stijn

This thread discusses the content article: Un-named pass Mashai River

Nice one! I've also explored that valley above Sleeping Beauty cave on a misty afternoon. Couldn't see all the way to the escarpment but the valley itself is certainly worth exploring with all those rock formations. I recall a path continuing higher up the valley than that which was indicated on the map - how long does it last?

Definitely on my list next time I make it all the way to the Southern Berg - that cave sounds fantastic :)
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 23:04 by intrepid. Reason: Fixed broken link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2010 20:38 #1329 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic Bollard Pass
It disappears as it enters the base of the pass. Most of these paths are Eland tracks, as there are many in this part of the berg and they tend to follow set routes. The valleys both north and south are worth a few days exploratory. Hidden valley, the valley of cod Eye cave etc.

More
03 Jun 2010 21:33 #1342 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Bollard Pass
Sounds great, well done on tapping into the "unmarked" potential of the Berg....I enjoy that. I'm far away from my Berg maps right now, but will study this more later, and appreciate related pics. Any GPS data and suggested names?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
04 Jun 2010 10:39 #1347 by SeriousTribe2
Pics, google map and GPS to follow shortly [just need some time]. Most suitable would be Bollard Pass, as it is right below same peak.
"Stealth Cave" in honour of the good mate who was with me at the time, and it requires a bit to get to it.
There appeared to be no evidence of sheperds using this cave, or even other mountineers as no old tins, plastic, fires etc. could be found, even after turning over a few rocks.

More
17 Jun 2010 17:45 #1400 by SeriousTribe2
Pictures of the Pass have been posted, under Bollard Pass.

More
17 Jun 2010 23:06 - 17 Jun 2010 23:13 #1402 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Bollard Pass
Thanks, these are awesome! Enjoyed the route indication and the altimeter insets.

I will update the site's pass list. One question - I'm assuming you didn't come across signs that the Basothos have used this pass in any way (albeit occasional)? I will mark this pass as "unlikely" use by them. I do this for passes that show no signs of use but which are not too technical and thus could be used by them on occasion. Would you agree?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2010 23:13 by intrepid.

More
18 Jun 2010 14:48 #1407 by SeriousTribe2
@Intrepid

Bollard. If this pass has been used by Basotho, then it will only have been to recover strayed livestock. The cave has not visibly been used and the top of the pass had no animal tracks as it gets steep quite quickly.
Would be difficult [like Minaret] to move the large "dry produce" carry bags up and down.
No visible evidence of path or cairns.

Wilsons ,could be occasional, and has much animal track evidence near the top. Also found a horse jawbone 1/2 way down.
2 cairns on the top right bank [facing down] and then nothing.

More
22 Jul 2010 14:32 #1491 by Bergie
Replied by Bergie on topic Bollard Pass
This was my first visit to the area. We followed the valley up from Sleeping Beauty Cave past Engagement Cave following a path until it petered out. This path appeared to be a footpath rather than an Eland path as it showed no braiding. From here we crossed the ridge to the south near point 2651 and then down the valley to the south to Sherry Cave. This valley had Eland paths at all the awkward places and was very pleasant. From cave to cave was 6h easy going through delightful country.

More
23 Jul 2010 09:44 #1497 by SeriousTribe2
@Bergie

Welcome.
This is a beautiful part of the berg, and is definitely less well trodden than the central to northern areas.
The path leading up the valley does appear to be a footpath, although the eland do use it too.
Did you contour into the valley from below point2651
ie. in a wsw direction? Their appeared to be a track leading in this way, although could not see too far around the first spur.
I am keen on tackling the head of the valley you refer to. The pass is known as Tsepeng, and The Forum is still quiet on any info re this pass.
Is Sherry cave a good cave i.t.o size, shelter and prox. to water?

ST2

More
02 Sep 2010 13:24 #1683 by Bergie
Replied by Bergie on topic Bollard Pass
@ST2
I am sorry I missed your post until now.

We did contour below point 2651 in a WSW direction. It was very steep getting into the valley, but no real problem. There was no sign of a path on this slope.

Sherry Cave will sleep 7 at a squeeze (not 12, as marked on the map). There was no water near when we were there altho there is an obvious small watercourse next to the cave, probably flowing much of the time, but dry when we were there (July). The main river bed is perhaps 10min away. The cave has a magnificent view facing NW. It should provide good shelter from the rain. It is under a sloping rock a short distance up from the path leading up the valley and, while easy to spot, is not obviously a cave as seen from the path. We were told it is an obvious cave and nearly missed it!

I would like to hear about your trip.
Bill.

More