Mashai Pass

24 Jun 2009 19:32 #475 by JonWells
Mashai Pass was created by JonWells
Hey, can anyone tell me how the route up Mashai Pass is. I'm heading up in a few days time and have heard conflicting reports about the route, from it being a straight-forward, clearly marked path, to it being very confusing with lots of dead ends, with the path often dissapearing. Appreciate any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 21:17 - 07 Oct 2009 00:58 #477 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Mashai Pass
It's been some years since I was on the pass last so I cannot comment with accuracy. There are some vague sections but I'm guessing that the conflicting reports have a lot to do with whether one is carefully observing the trail and looking for cairns or simply stumbling on thinking that the trail will easily take you to the top. If you suddenly loose the track, stop immediately and study the area around you to regain it - don't just push on. However, the pass is easy enough that a deviation won't hurt too much.

Check out the following thread for a reference to the trail condition:
www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/8-drakensberg-hiking/115-mashai-pass-rhino-peak.html

Also check out Stijn's write up:
www.geocities.com/supertraverse/passes_sb.htm#spp

Have fun and please let us know how it went.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2009 00:58 by intrepid. Reason: Updated link which had changed

More
25 Jun 2009 07:59 #478 by Magan
Replied by Magan on topic Mashai Pass
I've also done Mashai some while back. Pillar cave is a nice overnight stop if you arrive late in the afternoon. The Pass leads from the cave and is fairly straight-forward and easy. I did lose the path twice due to long grass but found it easy enough few metres later. Like Intrepid says the only issue could be the weather (snow in the Pass). Still, navigation shouldnt be an issue.
Views from The Rhino are stunning !!!

More
06 Jul 2009 19:13 - 06 Jul 2009 19:28 #496 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Mashai Pass
So myself and 3 friends set off from the Garden Castle campsite this last Saturday at 6.40am with the goal of ascending Mashai Pass, and possibly Rhino Peak. After 3 or so kilometres we reached Pillar cave. After reading some very negative reports by another user on this site, I am pleased to report that the cave seemes to be in a very good condition at present. There was no trace of litter or mess of any sorts, and I wouldnt mind spending a night there sometime.

After leaving the cave we began winding our way towards the pass, and noticed a couple snow patches as low as about 2200m next to the path. As we entered the pass itself the snow became more and more frequent, and after 2500m the climb began to become fairly tricky. Along with the snow, which was very granular and sugar-like, there was also large quantities of ice. At one section, around 2750m the river we were following became very steep, and completely iced up. The grass banks to the left and right were snow covered and extremely steep and slippery, and we began to have thoughts of calling it a day, however we inched our way up the side and managed to finally break out of the -1C shadow and into the warmth of the sun. From there, the last 200m or so was a relative breeze and we finally reached the top of the pass at about 12pm. After having lunch and resting a while, we decided that we wouldnt have enough daylight to ascend the Rhino, so we began heading back down into the deep freeze.

After slipping and sliding our way to the bottom it was a great relief to when the white stuff turned back into grass and we were able to follow a path again back to th campsite. Arriving totally exhausted back at camp at 5pm, we were horrified to find the place completetely TRASHED! My tent was collapsed with one pole broken, litter was strewn all over the place, the side mirror of the car was broken off
Last edit: 06 Jul 2009 19:28 by JonWells.

More
06 Jul 2009 19:25 #497 by JonWells
The tell tale footprints all over the car let us
know that we had been raided by baboons! My mosquito
netting in my tent had been ripped open. They had
climbed in and helped themselves to my rolls and braai
meat. They had then opened up the next tent, ate 6
sachets of instant cappucino, a chocolate bar and a
quarter bar of soap! They then had opened a bottle of
cooking oil on the trailer, then seemingly coated
themselves in it before jumping into the dirt on the
floor then back onto the car to do a tango. Needless
to say the car was filthy! They had even ripped open
the charcoal and eaten a few blocks!

All in all, besides the baboon chaos, we had a tiring,
but enjoyable hike at Garden Castle!

More
06 Jul 2009 19:39 #498 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Mashai Pass
thanks for the story....great to hear about other ppls adventures!

More
06 Jul 2009 22:44 #499 by intrepid
Glad you enjoyed it Jon and thanks for posting back. Climbing the Rhino would have made it pretty long. I did it as a day hike once and we got back to the car in the dark.

Baboons...little critters, good reminder to leave food packed in the car.

More
31 Aug 2009 18:52 #614 by Derek
Replied by Derek on topic Mashai Pass
I did the Mashai pass up to Rhino Peak last week Wednesday 25 Aug 09.
I started at the Garden Castle KZN parks hut.
The stroll to pillar cave is easy enough and well marked. The cave was clean with no litter.

The path from Pillar cave is easy to follow and gradually ascends with few flat sections. There was a lot of snow and ice in the pass itself. the snow started at about 2300m. In the shadow of the cliffs it was extremely cold and I was fully jacketed with gloves and beanie. Just a reminder why it is so important to always take cold weather gear - in the sun it was a warm day, at least 23C.

Once off the grass slopes and into the rocky pass the going got very tricky and slippery and I kicked my way through the ice and snow. The path at this stage is marked by the cairns - which kept me on the right track. Another hiker I met on the way up turned back at this point as he was hiking in running shoes and was slipping badly and was worried about the descent - good decision.Crossing from the right side of the pass to the left I had to skirt some huge ice sheets which was tricky as I had no ice gear.

After carefully picking my way through that section I made my way into the sun and out of the ice at about 2700m. The scamper to the escarpment from there was steep but relatively quick and I was up by 10:40am.

The walk to Rhino Peak from there is again marked by cairns and is flat until the last section which ramps up steeply for a short climb. That took about 40 mins. Views from the top are spectacular, and the Berg still had a lot of snow patches which always seems to enhance the vista.

The trek down was very tricky through the ice sections and I found myself doing a few 'Bear Grylls' slides and concentrating hard on not making any errors. Once through the ice and snow I could relax a bit and enjoy the scenery. Still very cold in the shadow (Beanie and gloves back on).

I lost the path 3 times on the way down and found my way again by searching for the cairns. Thank you to the hikers who maintain these paths and sensibly place these cairns - they really are an excellent source of comfort.

I made it back to the park office at 15:30 and signed out - a 9 hour round trip that was pretty heavy going. I don't do a lot of hiking and the full day was tough. Fortunately I took enough to eat and plenty to drink.

I did not see any evidence of Herdsmen and the pass does not appear to be used as a smuggle route.

All in all a very enjoyable trek that is well marked and very achievable. I would recommend the hike, but would caution against the weather and the ice in the pass itself. Views from the top are fantastic.

More
31 Aug 2009 23:13 #616 by intrepid
Thanks for an interesting and informative read, Derek.
I'm glad the site now has some good and concise info going on Mashai Pass, so thanks to all that have contributed.

More
31 Dec 2009 14:49 #806 by JonWells
Just came back from a another trip where we planned to camp on the escarpment above Mashai Pass. As it is peak season there were lots of people going up on day trips, and as we neared the top some of them coming down warned us of a number of Basothos that were being troublesome. Obviously this was the worst news we could possibly hear having just about completed the exhausting climb with heavy packs. We decided to press on and see the situation for ourselves.
As we approached the final 100m we could see a whole group of Basothos sitting on the cliffs and watching the people climbing up. One of them was screaming like a mad man which was quite intimidating! As we arrived we were swarmed by the group, as they pestered us to give them things ranging from cash to food to cigarettes. The one youngster even asked me if I could bring him a gun next time so that he could kill one of his neighbours who had stolen his cattle! We finally got rid of them and set off to climb the Rhino whilst we assessed the situation. A few minutes later, 2 of the Basothos were following us, and they again asked us for money, and asked us where we were sleeping etc, whilst eying out our belongings. Convinced that we would be attacked or robbed if we camped up there, we had to make the disheartening choice to lug our packs and ourselves all the way back down the pass, so please be wary if you are planning a trip in this area.

More