Mzimkhulu Pass North

18 Jun 2013 07:17 #57341 by Selous
Mzimkhulu Pass North was created by Selous
Hi All

Last week Thursday I tackled both the North and South Mzimkhulu Passes

I will submit some photos a little latter. I was also wanting to writer more detailed trip report but due to time constraints I will just have to give a brief summary.

North Mzimkhulu Pass

Very distinct path leading all the way up from the Mzimkhulu River. The Pass was very easy. Upper reaches are grassy. The middle of the pass are stable rocks that you weave your way through.

South Mzimkhulu Pass

No path but very easy all the way down. Towards the bottom it consists of bands of ridges and I just linked into each ridge and then linked back into the path we came in on. Doddle back home

Distance: 32km
Left: 06:30am
Back: 16:40pm
Temp Start: 3 degrees C
Temp upper reaches of Passes: 4 degrees C
High Berg Temp @ 12pm 11 degrees C

Two easy passes to tick off

Regards
Selous
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, Smurfatefrog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 07:30 #57343 by Selous
Replied by Selous on topic Mzimkhulu Pass North

Mzimkhulu North

Middle Section - Mzimkhulu North

Upper Section looking down - Mzimkhulu North

Mzimkhulu South

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: intrepid, JonWells, kliktrak, ghaznavid, brio, tonymarshall, HFc

More
18 Jun 2013 09:54 #57344 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mzimkhulu Pass North
Thanks for the info and pics.

I hear the easiest pass at Garden Castle is Stones Pass (any of the 3). These obscure passes are often thought to be at Cobham, but the border of the reserve runs up Masubasuba Pass according to the current maps...

Maybe the easiest way of hitting them all is to a Stijn style super traverse - I want to do all passes south of Sani anyway...

More
18 Jun 2013 10:14 #57345 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Mzimkhulu Pass North
Question- Is there a clear path from Garden Castle to the base of North Mzimkhulu pass?

More
18 Jun 2013 10:22 #57346 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Mzimkhulu Pass North
there are 2 approach options - start at Castle View farm (I think that's the farm name, will double check though) and take the Mzimkhulu Pipeline route to fun cave (apparently there is a good path on this route).

Option 2 is the harder way (this is how I did it), you go without a path up over the Little Rhino ridge and over the ridge coming off Verkyker Peak down into the Fun Cave valley and you find the path around the river.

From Fun Cave there is a good path the entire way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selous

More
18 Jun 2013 11:07 #57348 by Selous
Hi Ghaz
Ya, I did Sones South up and Stones North down two years ago also in June. Very easy. The central one seemed a little more difficult. I think I submitted some photos of the passes. They also top out at a much lower level at around 2800m
Regards
Todd

More
18 Jun 2013 11:23 #57350 by Selous
Hi Ghaz

When I did Stones passes I started from Castle View Farm, but I had to get permission from the owner who is a Dr in DBN. I then had to phone a chap at Elands Store to collect a key for his gates. It was a mission as I normally start early and the owner of the store was not happy to be woken early. I also hot the impression from the Dr that he does not like to do this too often.

I am fortunate that on this walk one of my mates owns a cottage very close to Garden Castle and this is where we started from. If you look at map #6 you will notice a dirt rd heading off to the right about 2Km above Castle view Farm on the main rd heading to Garden Castle. His cottage is one of the last along the rd. you could probably safely park your car at the end of the rd and walk from there. You will cross some private property owned by Lake Naverone and then you gain access to Ezemvelo KZN turf.

Going back to what you said about doing all or most of the passes in the Southern Berg. My mates cottage would be an ideal place yo use as a base.

Your option 2 is 100% correct.

Regards
selous

More
06 Jan 2019 16:16 #74461 by daveawalker
Replied by daveawalker on topic Mzimkhulu Pass North
Thinking of doing Mashai pass from Garden Castle Office/Fairways , up the Rhino then returning and then down Mzimkhulu North and back to Fairways/ the Office 
We did a July camp a few years ago where we stayed at Fun cave and the the pass, on returning to the manin camp we went along the ridge/river back to the farm , some other thought it would be quicker to go via Drakensberg Gardens and along the road, and use the farm road back to camp. which was over a bridge just near Castleburn.   We arrived back around the same time.. I think they took longer but not by much!
Anyone done a similar route?

More