Taylor's Pass

03 May 2017 10:25 #71462 by Anne75
Taylor's Pass was created by Anne75
Hi all,
Can anyone give me any information on where the best place would be to overnight camp after finishing Taylor's Pass?
Is the site of the old Giant's Hut a good option or am I totally off track? Any security issues in the area?
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2017 11:10 #71464 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Taylor's Pass
Giants Hut lacks a roof, but if you are in a tent, that area should be fine. It might be dry now (or too cold), but there is a lovely tarn right by the hut.

The top of Taylors Pass is right in a high traffic zone, as Elandshoek Pass is commonly used by locals - so I definitely wouldn't camp at the top of the pass.

More
03 May 2017 12:09 #71465 by Anne75
Replied by Anne75 on topic Taylor's Pass
Thank you, that is very helpful.

More
03 May 2017 20:29 #71476 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Taylor's Pass
Giant's Hut is pretty far from the top of Taylor's Pass if you are just looking for a convenient place to tent after doing the pass.

A few weeks ago our group tented on a nice flat area west of the top of Taylor's Pass below the Sisters (before we ascended Elandshoek Pass the next day) with several nearby streams for water, and the view from the top of the southern Sister showed there would also be several tent spots north of the top of Taylor's Pass.

More
04 May 2017 16:43 #71485 by Anne75
Replied by Anne75 on topic Taylor's Pass
Thank you so much for your helpful reply.
Having not done this hike before, I am unsure of how long it would take to get the old hut site if leaving from Lotheni camp. Would you be able to tell me? Also, does the old hut have walls left - is there anything left of it?

More
04 May 2017 22:42 #71490 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Taylor's Pass
Hi Anne. You do not mention how many days, size of group or experience you have. For an average hiker from Lotheni to the top of Taylors Pass is an easy walk....onto Giants Hut another half day. I would tent at the top of Taylors Pass.... on the left as you approach the southern Sister.....200m below the Elandshoek path (which goes to the left at the top) some nice tenting spots with lots of streams.

Tenting 200m below the Elandshoek path should not be security problem as long as you have others in your group.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

More