Giants Cup Trail

06 Oct 2014 09:38 - 06 Oct 2014 09:51 #61965 by ghaznavid

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 06 Oct 2014 09:51 by ghaznavid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, JonWells, kliktrak, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2014 18:05 - 07 Oct 2014 18:35 #61983 by ghaznavid
Google Earth image of the route we did.

Elevation profile for the hike:

Stats per Basecamp:
- Total distance: 136.7km
- Total altitude gained and lost 5.6km
- Highest point: 3144m on the Hodgeson's Ridge
- Lowest point: 1581m

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 07 Oct 2014 18:35 by ghaznavid.

More
13 Dec 2014 18:55 #62473 by Wizman
Hi Ghaznavid I am leading a hike of JHC members to the Giants cup trail in April 2015,I did the route from Bushman's nek years ago and wanted to do it the right way for many years .
Do you have the GPS route for the trail ,If you do it would be most appreciated if I could get it from you and well done on mentoring a young hiker.
Thanks

More
14 Dec 2014 17:03 #62474 by ghaznavid
Here is a GPS trail. It is missing the points from about 1km before Swiman Hut, but otherwise the rest should work. You don't really need a GPS track for the trail though, it is very well marked.

Please login or register to view the file attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wizman, AndrewCoakley

More
18 Mar 2017 12:13 #71170 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic Giants Cup Trail
Hi Everyone.

Yes, Giants Cup trail, and actually doing only one day at a time. Think this should qualify as a hiking holiday, but that is the purpose. A lekker relaxed hike with with some good friends (with wives/girlfriends) and beautiful mountains.

Could anyone recommend transport services between Bushman's Nek and Sani pass (Maybe have to be dropped of at Pholela Hut{1st nights hut})
(Want to leave cars at end and need transport to start, 8-12 people)

Thank you.

More
18 Mar 2017 12:20 - 18 Mar 2017 14:26 #71171 by ghaznavid
Contact Underberg Express (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.), drive to Bushman's Nek, drop off your cars, and get them to take you to the start on the Sani Road. They charge R450 for a small group, not sure what they charge for a bigger group.

Disclosure: I know this because I was needing transport for this next weekend, although that hike got cancelled a few days ago. I know the company as they helped us with GT logistics in 2012. I have no involvement in the company.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2017 14:26 by ghaznavid. Reason: Adding the statutory disclosure :P

More
20 Mar 2017 10:04 #71174 by Andreas

ghaznavid wrote: Contact Underberg Express (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.), drive to Bushman's Nek, drop off your cars, and get them to take you to the start on the Sani Road. They charge R450 for a small group, not sure what they charge for a bigger group.

Disclosure: I know this because I was needing transport for this next weekend, although that hike got cancelled a few days ago. I know the company as they helped us with GT logistics in 2012. I have no involvement in the company.

Thank you for the info Ghaznavid, it's much appreciated.

More
24 Mar 2017 15:01 #71198 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Giants Cup Trail

ghaznavid wrote: My objective is simple - do the Giant's Cup trail in 2 days south to north, hike up Sani Pass, traverse to Isicutula Pass, do Knuckles Traverse Pass (possibly with a detour up the Knuckles), find the Lesotho Sehlabathebe border post and finish back at Bushman's Nek having spent 6 nights in the mountains.

Sounds easy enough...

Fast forward 3 years and the plan for round 2 is slightly different. Back then we did 136km in 7 days. The plan for round 2 is quite simple:
Day 1: start at Bushman's Nek, hike the Giants Cup Trail to the Sani Road, then turn around and walk back the same way.

Should be fun. Not sure if doing this on April Fools Day is a wise idea though :whistle:

More
01 Apr 2017 11:15 #71220 by Hobbitt
Replied by Hobbitt on topic Giants Cup Trail
So it turns out we were able to do the giants cup trail twice in 18h03m12s

More
01 Apr 2017 12:06 #71221 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Giants Cup Trail

Hobbitt wrote: So it turns out we were able to do the giants cup trail twice in 18h03m12s

Happy April fools day everyone.

The story of what actually happened will follow soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andreas

More