Cathedral peak to Mnweni Cultural centre

23 Mar 2012 09:53 #53287 by ccjoubert
Does anyone know what would be the easiest way to hike down to Mnweni cultural centre(MCC) from the Cathedral range.

We plan on climbing Mponjwane on Easter weekend. Some friends would like to join us for going up Rockeries and then continue to twins cave, do the Bell traverse, climb cathedral peak and return to MCC.

From the valley North of Cathedral peak (28°54'9.99"S, 29° 7'11.64"E) there is a path which leads back to MCC, I think it is the path which leads to Ntonjelana pass. Any idea what going down to that valley from Cathedral is like? (See CathToMCS.kmz) Or any other suggestions on going to MCC??

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2012 10:01 - 23 Mar 2012 10:01 #53288 by ccjoubert
The .kmz file is not allowed here is a picture of the said valley

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 23 Mar 2012 10:01 by ccjoubert.

More
23 Mar 2012 11:33 #53290 by tiska
I've often thought of trying this circuit too - but never actually done it. One plan was to drop down into Mnweni from the Orange Peel Gap side of Cathedral, and hooking with the Ntonjelane path pass which is about 3km or so down the valley. It wouldn't be easy going, but then neither are the other passes which take you back to MCC (like Pinns, Fangs or Mbundini) - apart from Rockeries and Mnweni. Ntonjelane is one I wouldn't want to do - path or no path!

More
26 Mar 2012 18:57 - 26 Mar 2012 19:02 #53303 by intrepid
I've been eyeing that valley too - the Ntsintsintsi. Coming off the Puddings and Cathedral its very broad and grassy. No doubt there will be obstacles hidden in that soft-looking grass, especially lower down: boulders, trenches and terrain that suddenly appears out of nowhere, but I think you can get down there. See attached pic.

The waypoint that you have marked on Google Earth is in fact where the the smuggling route from Ntonjelana Pass cuts across the valleys, more or less parallel to the Cathedral Range. You don't have to turn left there. There is a path taking you straight on to the junction of the Ntsintsintsi and the Ntonjelana ephumalanga, where it descends steeply into the main valley (this steep descent can be seen on the way to Waterfall Cave - its on the Little berg spur in the centre of the picture).

This is probably not a bad way to get back to the MCC. There are places on either side of the The Bell too. From Bugger Gully you can also carry on straight down the valley towards Sqonqweni Cave, from where there is a trail which eventually takes you back to the MCC via the koppie known as Xhozo. This route is much longer though.

These little "hidden" valleys below the Cathedral Range on the Mnweni side are real little gems by the way!

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 26 Mar 2012 19:02 by intrepid.

More