Hiking partners and/or climbing guide for 3 day/2 night trip?

02 Jan 2024 17:43 #78824 by backpacker216
Hi All - looking to pass through the Drakensberg mountains for a few days as part of a larger trip through South Africa. Because of the security concerns looking for a partner or two for a 3 day/2 night backpacking/camping trip starting on or around January 20th; flexibility as to what route/trail. I am experienced, self-supported and flexible on distance - anywhere from 15-30km per day. 28 y/o male if that is important at all.

I also had a few other questions:
1) Would this be the best place to find a hiking partner? Any other recommendations?
2) Do folks have recommendations for stretches that are more trafficked or do not historically have security concerns?
3) In the event I cannot find a hiking partner and don't want to go solo, would consider doing a guided climb, ideally over 2 days/1 night. I have experience sport climbing and some mountaineering but would need gear and someone more experienced. Do folks have recommendations for affordable, local guides or where to look? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2024 21:20 #78826 by Smurfatefrog
Hi Dan

There is a hike on the MCSA meet sheet on that weekend
mcsa-kzn-meets.azurewebsites.net/Meets

Drop Jonathan a message, if he doesn't see your post first

More
03 Jan 2024 09:31 #78831 by ghaznavid

Drop Jonathan a message, if he doesn't see your post first

It's funny - I've put Cleft Peak on the KZN Section meet sheet many times before, and usually only one or two people sign up. This time there's a waiting list of 3 people already. Group limit is due to the size of Rolands Cave.

@backpacker216 - you're welcome to drop me a message and I'll add you to the waiting list, if someone pulls out at the last minute it is possible that others on the waiting list might already have other plans by that point. But odds are there won't be space.

More
03 Jan 2024 19:29 #78838 by backpacker216
Thank you both! I didn't know that existed, very helpful. @ghaznavid do you think you could share the waitlist contact information amongst those on the waitlist? Perhaps we could organize something else amongst ourselves - sent you an email about it. 

More