Nguza Pass

02 May 2012 17:15 - 14 May 2015 19:20 #53697 by anthony
Nguza Pass was created by anthony
Has any one done this pass?Had a look this weekend looks like a little climbing has to be done, and if so how what does it entail? :unsure:

Edit:
Trip report www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/drakensberg-trips/55423-nguza-pass-trip-report.html?limitstart=0
Last edit: 14 May 2015 19:20 by Smurfatefrog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2012 06:13 #53745 by anthony
Replied by anthony on topic Nguza Pass
This pass seems like it has eluded most people,so it has to go on the tick list,maybe abseil down and check it out first :woohoo:

More
05 May 2012 06:53 - 05 May 2012 06:59 #53746 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Nguza Pass
No, it doesn't need any climbing or abseiling, even though it deceptively looks like it. There is a rocky side gully and steep grass slope traverse that allows you to bypass the problem waterfall section. The only way to see this route is by looking down into the pass from the Northern side of the escarpment above it. RobD has done this pass and can confirm this. Had intentions to do this one for a while.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 05 May 2012 06:59 by intrepid.

More
05 May 2012 07:47 - 05 May 2012 07:47 #53747 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Nguza Pass
How bad is the bundu lower down in the pass?
Last edit: 05 May 2012 07:47 by tiska.

More
26 Aug 2013 18:05 #58253 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Nguza Pass
On the August long weekend, elinda, Richard Hunt, Thora and tonymarshall ascended Nguza Pass. We had overnighted in Sunshine Cave the previous night, and departed in misty weather up valley along the path to the Rockeries/Nguza Pass split. We didn’t cross the stream coming down from Nguza Pass, but headed up the left (true right) bank, managing to avoid the bush in the valley.

Soon we were in the boulder bed, which we followed the entire time we were in the valley, being easier to boulder hop than deal with the steep grassy sideslopes or bush. At times the mist would lift and we could see ahead to the upper section of the pass and Nguza Falls, which we hoped to bypass using the gully to the left and grass ledge traverse described by Sabine. In the photo below the grass ledge traverse can be seen in the distance, above the grassy slopes in the centre of the photo.

We encountered one obstacle in the valley, a low, slippery waterfall, which we climbed fairly easily with the ladies removing their packs and getting some help up from the men. (Photo courtesy of elinda.)

At times some sleet/snow was falling, but not enough to even get damp, although as we went higher it became quite cold. We approached a steep side gully to the left, wondering if this was the gully we had to ascend to bypass the waterfall. (Photo courtesy of elinda.)

We could identify the gully from the chockstone described by Sabine,

and the small cave with rocks on the floor next to the gully on the left hand side.

We headed up this gully and were soon confronted with getting around the chockstone, which we did on the right using a narrow, slippery, slanting rock slab. Richard helped me up, supporting my feet from below, while I lay on the slab on my stomach to reach some handholds at full stretch, by which I could pull myself up; photo below. Once on top of this, I hauled the packs up and assisted the others up with a short rope. (Photo courtesy of elinda.)

We then headed up the gully, which was quite treacherous with ice on all the rocks and grass.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, diverian, elinda, ghaznavid, Sabine, Richard Hunt

More
26 Aug 2013 18:15 - 26 Aug 2013 19:44 #58254 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Nguza Pass
From time to time the mist/cloud would lift a bit and we could see the pinnacle at the top of the gully, which didn’t seem to get closer. The location of the grassy ledge we used to traverse around to the top of the waterfall can be seen in the photo below on the right of the gully, above the lower rock band and below the upper cliffs.

After an age in the gully, we made the grassy ledge, and were pleased to see that it had got some sun and wasn’t also iced up everywhere.

There was a vague trail along the ledge which we followed, crossing some iced sections in the shaded areas.

We turned several corners and the grassy ledge went on for about 500 m.

The trickiest section was a short, narrow ledge crossing an iced rock outcrop, with a considerable drop off below.

Once we were directly above the waterfall which disappeared into the misty depths below,

we found the grassy gully heading up to the top of Nguza Pass.

A short way up the grassy slope and we were at the top of Nguza Pass.

We emerged into sunshine in Lesotho, and headed down to the Koakoatsoan stream for lunch before following the valley up the long ridge towards Easter Cave where we were to overnight.

Thanks again Sabine for your kind assistance with additional detailed directions and photos which assisted us greatly in finding the correct side gully and grass ledge to do Nguza Pass in misty conditions.

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

Last edit: 26 Aug 2013 19:44 by tonymarshall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, diverian, elinda, Stijn, JonWells, plouw, Bigsnake, ccjoubert, Smurfatefrog, pfoj, HFc, ruthtbl, ric2010

More
26 Aug 2013 18:27 #58255 by elinda
Replied by elinda on topic Nguza Pass
And a big thank you to our leader Tony for a great hike. This is an amazing Pass and worth doing! :thumbsup:

More
27 Aug 2013 22:41 - 27 Aug 2013 22:42 #58275 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Nguza Pass
Amazing documentation of the pass. The images really show the mood nicely. It reminds me to keep my camera more handy when in the pass itself, however it is a long time since i have had interesting weather conditions in a pass.

This site is really opening up the berg in a way that has not been done before and these trips reports make for great reading.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 22:42 by Serious tribe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: domsmooth

More
28 Aug 2013 19:41 #58286 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Nguza Pass
Thanks Tony for leading us up this nail biting pass! you did not mention the tricky section halfway along the grassy ledge, without a rope this was definitely my limit!!! I don't know how you short legged fellows made it over that one, with the icy wet conditions and sheer drop below!!! What a relief it was to get to the top of Nguza Pass and great leadership by Tony :))

More
02 Sep 2013 03:20 #58320 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Nguza Pass
Any images of the grassy slope tricky section?

More