Injisuthi security

07 Aug 2015 10:13 #64758 by Doenest
Replied by Doenest on topic Injisuthi security
I read on berg.co.za the security issues in drakensberg, sound very unsafe. I am going to injasuti, are there any problems on roads and sleeping at marble baths.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2015 11:07 #64759 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Injisuthi security
I've never experienced any issues in the Drakensberg. It is a wilderness area and as such things like the weather, floods, snow, rockfalls, snakes etc. wil probably pose a bigger risk than human beings. However, it is always a good idea to go in a group of people (my opinion is 3 minimum), there is safety in numbers. Also, pack away your gear at night (mine sleeps in the tent with me), further reducing the chances of things getting lost/stolen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doenest

More
07 Aug 2015 11:13 #64760 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Injisuthi security
The road to Injasuthi does pass through rural villages but I haven't heard of any problems there.

Marble Baths should be perfectly safe, you'll probably get a few day trippers thats about it.
If you're thinking of Basothus then don't stress about this area, the pass (Leslies) coming down towards Marble Baths is not used by them.

More
07 Aug 2015 12:39 #64762 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Injisuthi security
The road to Injasuthi as well as the Injasuthi escarpment have apparently had security issues. However these date back several years now. I think there may have been some stone throwing at vehicles by the kids less than 5 years ago, but need to check the records to be certain.

Current security concerns at Injasuthi seem to be limited to high smuggler traffic passing by Centenary Hut area. This seems to be a disturbance and risk factor so far, rather than a real security issue (ie no incidences arising from this as far as I know).

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
07 Aug 2015 13:18 #64763 by Doenest
Replied by Doenest on topic Injisuthi security
Thanks for all the post. Feel much better know

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

More
07 Aug 2015 23:44 #64764 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Injisuthi security
Personally, I've hiked more days and kilometres at Injisuthi than anywhere else in the Berg. To my mind, I don't think there is a Berg venue where I felt more at ease regarding security.

More
11 Aug 2015 16:41 #64774 by Grandeur
Replied by Grandeur on topic Injisuthi security
I just did my first Injasuthi hike this last weekend and didn't feel uneasy at any point at all. From camp to lower Injasuthi cave to base of Judges pass, up Judges to Mafadi to top of Leslies and down passed Marble Baths. Only saw one local shepherd at the top between Mafadi and Leslies and he barely even acknowledged we were there... granted it was cold and he was huddled in his blanket.
Felt far less populated than the Mnweni area I normally hike in - suppose that indirectly means safer too.

More
12 Dec 2016 20:23 #70375 by Hannah McKay
Replied by Hannah McKay on topic Injisuthi security
Please can someone advise me on the safety of hiking in the Injisuti area? I know that there was a bad incident a couple of years back.

More
12 Dec 2016 23:44 #70376 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Injisuthi security
My take is that Injisuthi is one of the safest areas of the Berg primarily because the main high Berg passes don't empty out into any convenient and inconspicuous areas for cross-border smuggling and other forms of mischief. And also that there are few main Berg passes anyway.
In other areas, such as Mnweni, Cathedral Peak and Giant's Castle, the high Berg passes can transit directly into non-tourist areas where smugglers and such likes don't stand out.

More
13 Dec 2016 21:15 #70378 by abrahamvlok
Replied by abrahamvlok on topic Injisuthi security
Thanks..I am going there next week. I have done many hikes in Injesuthi over the past 15 years and I have hardly seen anybody else there.

More