Berg Alert 2024

02 Apr 2024 14:57 #78971 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Berg Alert 2024

From my understanding the attack took place on Thursday. They said that they ran into a lot of shepards on the way to the cave. I think they ended up walking out on Saturday. We left two of them at Marble baths early on Saturday morning. They were still waiting for the rest of their group that was further down the valley towards Lesleys.
ok thanks. We also saw 10 or 15 shepherds in the valley behind Judge/Corner pass on the Friday afternoon, it was very busy! Cows, horses, sheep, dogs (dogs chasing cows around and vice versa), and a guided group of 15 from "Drakensberg Hiker" was tenting there.
Overall we must've seen well over 50 Basothos (although we did go through the Jarateng valley), with no issues

Who were the group attacked? "Drakensberg Hiker"'s group or a another group?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2024 15:19 #78972 by Philipj
Replied by Philipj on topic Berg Alert 2024
No, it was another group. The Drakensberg hiker group only went up on Friday, so the day after the incident.

More
02 Apr 2024 22:55 - 02 Apr 2024 23:04 #78975 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Berg Alert 2024
As far as I know, this is the first time people have been attacked overnight in a Berg cave as against a tent or tents. 

This is subjective - but from memory northern Berg attacks seem to have a relative peak in the calendar around Easter. I’ve wondered if this is because the thieves are keen on gear for the forthcoming winter. 
Last edit: 02 Apr 2024 23:04 by tiska.

More
03 Apr 2024 10:32 #78977 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Berg Alert 2024

As far as I know, this is the first time people have been attacked overnight in a Berg cave as against a tent or tents. 

This is subjective - but from memory northern Berg attacks seem to have a relative peak in the calendar around Easter. I’ve wondered if this is because the thieves are keen on gear for the forthcoming winter. 

Yes that could be, but there are also more groups up there due to the holidays, which increases chances of attacks.

More
03 Apr 2024 15:27 - 03 Apr 2024 15:59 #78978 by tiska

Yes that could be, but there are also more groups up there due to the holidays, which increases chances of attacks.

That's true, Edwin128. More hikers do increase the opportunity for attacks. One could also claim that more hikers in a region = greater security for the hikers.

In addition, the motivation for attacks and thefts will increase because of the forthcoming winter and the fact that the herders are soon to withdraw from the escarpment area to lower lying land in Lesotho where there is much less opportunity to steal warm clothes,  food and sleeping bags and presumably no consequence for the attacks on hikers..

Last edit: 03 Apr 2024 15:59 by tiska.

More
03 Apr 2024 22:48 - 04 Apr 2024 12:28 #78979 by tiska
I followed up on timing of attacks on hikers in the high Berg (so not issues on the roads in to the Berg or stuff near resorts).
The data comes from the VE Berg Alert threads which is to my knowledge the very best data set on this issue.

Evidence >> subjectivity

Here is a summary of attacks on hikers using the format:
year, month, time of day, broad region. 

So far, 2024 to 2012 inclusive, Easter wins. 
Using a simple chi-squared test, there is less than one in ten million chance that the distribution of attacks on hikers across the months of the year is simply random.
There's something about Easter/Autumn and it is long standing.

28 March  night Mafadi 

15 April day Walker’s Peak

No reports 

27 Feb daytime Bollard Pass 
October night Giants Pass 

March daytime Mashai Pass 

LDF incident - not the usual modis 

April night Fangs Pass 

April Tsepeng-Matabeng 

April night Ribbon Falls 
April night Fangs Pass

26 April day base of Masubusuba Pass

21 April night Tugela Falls

30 April day Rhino Peak

No reports

25 March night Amphitheatre

Will cover other years when I get a moment  

March night between Giants and Langalibalele

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 04 Apr 2024 12:28 by tiska.

More
06 Apr 2024 12:47 #78988 by grae22
Replied by grae22 on topic Berg Alert 2024

Philipj post=78962 userid=2236

We ran into some hikers on Friday (29 Mar 2024) coming down from Mafadi and they had been attacked while sleeping in Upper Injisuthi the previous night. Apperently their shoes, pants etc. was stolen and they we pelted with rocks from above the cave when they attempted to pursue the thiefs. Thay said that there were fairly big rocks thrown. They deffinately seemed fairly shaken and they were busy hiking out in Crocs when we found them at Marble baths.

Post on IG about this incident - no mention of the stone throwing, tho.

More
06 Apr 2024 13:34 - 06 Apr 2024 13:59 #78991 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Berg Alert 2024
Below is a write up on it, but in summary:
 - Setup tents in the cave, left gear outside the tents
 - Guys came in and stole gear (boots, jackets, tent pegs) without disturbing anyone
 - Someone got out for a bathroom break (probably unknowingly awoken by the theft), 10 minutes later someone else also went for a bathroom break. Assume the thieves now thought they were going to get chased (although they could've moved well away by now)
 - Thieves dropped rocks over the cave entrance to prevent hikers chasing them

cilnette8.wordpress.com/2024/04/06/brutal-and-breathtaking-mafadi/?fbclid=PAAaZcZYavvRZO3D9igy-9ElnyecW0wzns6W4lt_w7APe91ZhwV0p9ef7_1v0

Extract: "Finally reaching the top of Judges Pass, we are met with horses and herders, then made our (still going bloody up) way towards Upper Injisuthi Cave over the escarpment (slightly off the path, so make sure you have the route pre-saved on a watch), where we settled for the night. Until around 23:24. I checked the time and for some strange reason, noted it. Went out of the cave for a “bathroom” moment.  Pitch dark, misty, cold. Suddenly, a massive boulder rolls over the edge of the cave roof and lands about 3 m away from my head. Breaks and scatters into the night with a deafening sound. I hurry back into the cave, with the rest of the crew now also half-awakened by what initially seemed like a natural rock fall. Until we realised that there were key items missing – boots, jackets, tentpens … The rock falls intensified, starting to feel like an ambush attack or an avalanche. It continued for basically an hour. With massive boulders being hurled down the mountain towards the opening of the cave, as if intentionally trying to prevent us from getting out to follow whomever might have taken the stuff. That’s the theory we settled on, anyway. It was an ever-so-slightly more logical explanation than wild horses wanting to get into the cave away from the storm … and a tad more comforting explanation than the cave collapsing under an avalanche … I’m not sure if anyone got any further sleep that night, but the rocks did eventually stop falling and the heart rates dropped down slightly. Plans were to be made at first light for the guys who lost their boots in the ordeal. The helicopter was called off. (We managed to get through to SARZA and KZN Mountain Rescue with weak signal, and they were on standby, just in case). "

Last edit: 06 Apr 2024 13:59 by Smurfatefrog.

More
07 Apr 2024 22:42 #78992 by tiska
Remarkably understated account of events in UIC. 

More
08 Apr 2024 09:08 #78993 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Berg Alert 2024

Thanks tiska! That is a very interesting insight! A lot to unpack in terms of probable causes. I've fried my brain trying to connect the dots. Has to be a combination of factors in play that produces the outcome. 

More