Berg Alert 2024

08 Apr 2024 15:17 #78997 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Berg Alert 2024

Thanks tiska! That is a very interesting insight! A lot to unpack in terms of probable causes. I've fried my brain trying to connect the dots. Has to be a combination of factors in play that produces the outcome. 
Possibly because they know they will be heading into the lowlands in a few weeks, so anyone wanting to track them down with stolen goods has minimal time, and also with them heading down soon they will have more people to offload the goods to

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2024 13:45 #78998 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Berg Alert 2024
I think the supposition that these attacks are close to the start of colder weather is a good one.  There also might be a strong link with long weekends as well as near to a full moon.  If there were actual dates this can be checked.  Although in this case, it was misty, so likely they trotted close to the cave and just waited until it was quiet.  Not sure if putting boots in the tent would have helped, perhaps.  I always pull my boots and gear into the tent at night regardless of where I am in the berg, just safer.  A portable remote motion sensor alarm at the entrance to the cave could help.  Only issue is pee breaks at night, don't want to set it off

This image is hidden for guests.

More
09 Apr 2024 13:57 #78999 by ASL-Bivak#
Replied by ASL-Bivak# on topic Berg Alert 2024
Maybe a remote sensor and a gun would send a message...

More
09 Apr 2024 16:36 - 10 Apr 2024 14:27 #79002 by tiska
Replied by tiska on topic Berg Alert 2024
Updated details include better refinement of dates and date of full moon plus days offset from full moon (if night time attack).
This list does not include sketchy encounters, being caught in the cross-fire of smugglers, events on the roads leading into the Berg or strife around picnic sites or resorts. The list is primary aimed at attacks and robberies on the high Berg, either during the day or at night.

Some of the precise dates couldn't be pinned down. In these cases (approx) has been used as the date estimate. These cover events usually reported by a third party with wording along the lines of 'last week....'.
This sort of inspection underscores the value of recording as much detail as possible about difficulties in the Berg.

28 March  night Mafadi 
Full Moon 25 March (3 day offset) 

15April day Walker’s Peak 

2022 No reports  

27 Feb daytime Bollard Pass 
6 (approx) October night Giants Pass (wrong place at the wrong time opportunistic attack rather than more planned - I think)
Full Moon 20 September 

24 (approx) March daytime Mashai Pass 
Full Moon 9 March 

LDF  incident - not the usual modis  

3 April night Fangs Pass 
Full Moon 31 March
(4 day offset)

1 (approx) April night Tsepeng-Matabeng 
Full Moon 11 April
(10 day offset) 

23 (approx) April night Ribbon Falls 
24 April night Fangs Pass
Full  Moon 22 April (1 and 2 day offset) 

26 April day base of Masubusuba Pass
Full Moon 4 May (8 day offset) 

21 April night Tugela Falls
30  April day Rhino Peak
Full Moon 4 May (13 day and 4 day offset) 

No reports 

25 March night Amphitheatre
Full Moon 6 April (12 day offset)
Last edit: 10 Apr 2024 14:27 by tiska.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serious tribe, Smurfatefrog, tonymarshall, TheRealDave

More
10 Apr 2024 09:52 #79004 by BergAttie
Replied by BergAttie on topic Berg Alert 2024
In a cave putting boots inside a tent is obviously not always an option. Boots probably most valuable item when up there so important to secure. I have in the past put boots inside my sleeping back or tie the laces to the sips of the sleeping bag. Even tying them to pots and pans to make racket when moved. I'm also going to look into the motion sensors going forward.

More
10 Apr 2024 10:44 #79005 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Berg Alert 2024
We've used those solar lights triggered by movement in Sentinel cave once. Caught my wife red-handed as she was sneaking out of the cave for a midnight pee 

This image is hidden for guests.

. These weigh next to nothing and works quite well.

What I normally do in caves is to put the backpack and everything else near the back of the cave, so the would-be thief would have to take a bigger risk to get to it. I normally pack everything back in my pack, except food and stove (don't want a mouse gnawing through my pack to get to the cheese and nuts in my foodbag), and then I leave my hiking poles next to my side, pointy end facing towards the cave entrance. It does send a subconscious message to any would-be thief that we are maybe/possibly prepared for something. These people are cowards, but they are not entirely stupid, and if they see things like an LED light going off in their faces, packs at the back of the cave with nothing lying around and things that can potentially hurt them between them and your gear, they will (most of the time) run away.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BergAttie, Peps

More