Hiking/Trekking poles

18 Aug 2010 01:27 - 18 Aug 2010 01:33 #1595 by Serious tribe
I think it was in about 1995, that I made a set of hiking poles out of anodized blue aluminum tubing with turned wooden handles and a strap that went into a hole on the top of the handle and rubber feet. Serious tribe 2 then went one step further and used two tent poles that had a click stop arrangement that allowed the poles to adjust their height.

Realizing that the idea actually had merit, the adjustment idea that is, I decided to purchase a pair of proper poles, that would have been in about 96/97. I got a pair of yellow and black Charlot Moser Gypsies, which I still use and are battered and scratched to bits, but still work very well and is my oldest piece of gear, having taken about 14 years of punishment and still have life left in them.

Used for river crossings where only the tops of rocks are visible it means you don't have to take off your boots, just make sure you have good balance. For climbing up passes, for descending they have proved to be a good investment and saves the knees. Being able to adjust the height is a necessity, although I think that you only need a two section pole, a three section pole has to many bits to break. Also I prefer a twist lock mech rather than a switch clip lock down, as i know from experience that these plastic mechanisms on tripods tend to break after a while.

We used to have fun with the tissue flingers :kiss: when they asked if we had been skiing, and said yes that there was plenty of snow up on the top, even when it was summer, :laugh: .

Two feet good, four feet better!!

So who uses hiking poles, perhaps we can make this into a "pole" :laugh: .

This image is hidden for guests.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Last edit: 18 Aug 2010 01:33 by Serious tribe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2010 07:13 #1596 by drsnoobab
Replied by drsnoobab on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
My wife suffers from serious vertigo (especially on those paths where the slope drops dramatically down into big air, and always struggled with river crossings due to balance - sore knees after a long day also a problem (in fact, in retrospect I'm not sure why she likes 'berg hiking - maybe its my company after all ??? :S ).

The purchase of a set of trekking poles has however been a life saver - river crossings cut down from ten to two minutes (seriously!), knees saved, dodgy paths generally easier. All in all I'm all in favour to solve these problems!

As a personal view, I'm a minimalist - too much stuff to carry is never a good thing !

Have you heard of Nordic Walking ? It's a recognised sport in certain (Nordic, I presume) countries, designed to maintain skiing fitness during the summer months. Effectively its power walking on the trail, with the emphasis on using your trekking poles as energetically as you would use your legs. Apparently it burns something like 20% more energy - if you like an invigorating workout, give it a try sometime !

More
18 Aug 2010 07:30 #1597 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
Yes it definitely does burn lots of energy, especially when you are "burning" along the contour path at 6 clicks and hour. After a long hike, my upper body is as sore as my legs just because with the pole, you tend for some reason to want to go faster.

I have also found that coming down very steep grass embankments on passes, the poles can be used to slow you down a bit. I even used them once to self arrest me when i slipped on such a steep grassy bank. I jut rolled onto my stomach and and two handed, dug the one pole into the ground and stopped soon thereafter.

V.useful.

More
18 Aug 2010 08:08 #1600 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
I find them awesome for uphills,downhills and river crossings, but find them annoying on flat sections. But all in all I think they're a good investment!

More
18 Aug 2010 09:01 #1601 by mike
Replied by mike on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
Yes, my two trustee poles never miss a hike! I find them extremely usefull when ascending and descending. I used them once to pole vault a river in Mnweni when I was too lazy to take my booots off :P
I find a lot of uses for them around camp like hanging my clothing up and once having used them to hold a "tarp" up in a random rainshower when we were un prepared.

More
18 Aug 2010 09:27 #1603 by mountain bear
Replied by mountain bear on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
hiking poles - yes i use them ! - have a pin in my left leg - SADF - and i find that the poles are great for all sorts of things - going down is so much easlier with them - able to support yourself - also on flat ground - i agree that it makes you want to walk faster - somehow ?? also agree with mike on the twist lock type - my poles are getting old but still have no faults and have taken a lot of punnishment over the years yet they keep going ! two poles and some cord dry my socks out ! lol

More
18 Aug 2010 10:14 #1606 by Serious tribe
Replied by Serious tribe on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
Some good ideas of alternative uses for hiking poles that you have. Here are a few more.

I also use the poles to prop up my backpack when taking a break, the two heads of the poles torque against the carrying loop at the top of the pack, and voila, all neat and presentable, and you can still access your lunch.
As a weapon, both ends hurt!
Splints for broken legs, fortunately never had to try this. Mountain Bear, keep this in mind in case that pin of yours decides to go awol.

More
18 Aug 2010 15:25 #1611 by SeriousTribe2
Replied by SeriousTribe2 on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
Ever tried Scree Skiing without Poles ?!!

Of course if you have them, then descending the likes of Giants, Nhlangeni etc is an Epic Blast.

Never looked back!

Trekking Poles all the Way !!

@jonwells - know what you mean about the flat bits; the slight lapse in concentration, the pole between the legs, the sheepish dusty look as you pick yourself up. :blush:

FYI - there have been a number of sports science studies that have rated the pressure relief on feet and legs in the tonnes over a day long trek.

More
18 Aug 2010 16:05 #1614 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
Always interesting to see a topic that takes off like this one!

Definitely use poles when carrying a pack, for all the reasons already mentioned, perhaps the biggest reason to reduce strain on the knees. Also found them very useful for all alternate reasons already mentioned too!

My current pair are both battered, scratched, bent beyond the point of being fully collapsible, mismatched, and have lost most of their plastic frills. They don't even have the points left at the end - going straight on the aluminum and slowly wearing down. Still useful though! I've seen a number of them break totally, either my own or that of friends, even the expensive brands. Though I've found that most manufacturers are pretty good about replacing them (like Kway and Black Diamond).

@Serious Tribe: have started the "pole" :laugh: - see home page. Let the voting begin.
I've found the Black Diamond "snap lever lock" to be quite solid - not sure which one you're thinking of? They also used to make a spring locking one that you twisted and it clicked into place. This one was a bit weak, I know of several BDs that broke right there, including an older one of mine, though my current one has survived so far. The twist locking ones tend to slip in cheaper makes from what I've seen (some makes also don't use rust-proof screws in these, so what I found helpful is to let them dry and even spray them with a lubricant after a wet hike).

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
18 Aug 2010 19:04 #1616 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic Hiking/Trekking poles
A friend of mine still uses a "staff" and this was the first time I was introduced to walking with a walking stick and I saw the usefulness when crossing rivers. I use a pair of Cadac hiking poles, must agree saves the knees on up and down hills. I was the joke of our hiking group but now just about every one uses them.

More