Tents

25 Jan 2014 11:08 - 25 Jan 2014 14:08 #59514 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Tents

viking5 wrote: www.alpkit.com/products/hunka

not sure how this compares but it seems as waterproof for far fewer rands.

I can't find any SA people who seem to stock this - any ideas?

I guess I could probably order it through Amazon.

Update

Just checked - Amazon wants to charge $130 for postage and handling! They have a military overrun gor-tek bivy bag for $59, but after postage and handling that is far too expensive. Next step is to find someone who is come from USA to SA...
Last edit: 25 Jan 2014 14:08 by ghaznavid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2014 07:54 - 27 Jan 2014 07:54 #59521 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Tents
If you get it direct from the site, it seems they charge 5 pounds for delivery to South Africa.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
Last edit: 27 Jan 2014 07:54 by Viking. Reason: addition

More
27 Jan 2014 09:38 #59524 by ghaznavid
The US military one can be bought from Have2Have for R1 125. It is claimed to weigh 1pound (about 350g), according to review's on Amazon it actually weighs around 2.5 pounds - about 1kg.

More
27 Jan 2014 20:59 #59534 by ghaznavid
I have decided the military one is far too heavy. It is now R1155 courtesy of the rand having had a bad day.

The reason for the weight is that it is 3 layers of gortek and apparently adds a fair amount of warmth to a bag. It is apparently also great in a storm out in the open.

If anyone is planning on getting one, the link to the details on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Military-Surplus-Bivy-Sleeping-Cover/dp/B00276IGM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390848655&sr=8-2&keywords=bivy

For the product on Have2Have, see:

www.have2have.co.za/product/US-Military-Surplus-Bivy-Sleeping-Bag-Cover-Gore-Tex/139004

More
29 Jan 2014 13:29 #59546 by Fitness
Replied by Fitness on topic Tents
Hi
I have a K-Way Nerolite3 tent for Sale, new they are R1799 and I'm asking R1250, it is only 1 year old and has been used 4 times in that year.
Anyone intersted please message me

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
03 Feb 2014 08:39 #59598 by 5haunporter
Replied by 5haunporter on topic Tents
Hi all,

I have just purchased the K-Way Nerolite 3. After reading through this topic about the Nerolite, has anyone experienced any weaknesses or issues in the tent design? Havent used the tent yet but planing a Drakensburg hike during this month and would like to know how it will hold up at altitude in the wet and windy weather conditions.

More
03 Feb 2014 12:17 #59602 by Fitness
Replied by Fitness on topic Tents
@5haunporter, in my opinion it is a great tent, the only reason I'm selling mine is a personal one ( if you PM me I'll explain)
I've had it on the escarpment and had no issues with it, it's had 3 grown men with packs and it was cosy, during June last year it got tested by nasty winds in the southern berg and lived to tell the tail, so if it was up to me I wouldn't sell mine, but like I said I need to :thumbsdown:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 5haunporter

More
03 Feb 2014 13:12 #59605 by firephish
Replied by firephish on topic Tents
i've used the K-Way Nerolite 3 on the escarpment in rain, snow and ice, its a good tent :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl, 5haunporter

More
03 Feb 2014 13:23 #59606 by ruthtbl
Replied by ruthtbl on topic Tents
I used to be really negative about k-way equipment, but honestly I don't have a problem buying k-way stuff now, just because the Cape Union Mart returns policy is so good :)

More
04 Feb 2014 08:03 #59614 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Tents

ruthtbl wrote: I used to be really negative about k-way equipment, but honestly I don't have a problem buying k-way stuff now, just because the Cape Union Mart returns policy is so good :)

That's exactly my approach to K-way too on a lot of their gear. It does break, but they are good about replacing it, even if it's old gear.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

More