Berg Alert 2024

25 Jan 2024 19:53 - 25 Jan 2024 19:59 #78865 by intrepid
Berg Alert 2024 was created by intrepid
 This is the place for all updates, incidents and observations relating to security issues in the Drakensberg in 2024.

The kind of thing which should be reported here:
* new incidents of theft, mugging or any kind of verbal or physical intimidation (whether it is experienced first-hand, seen in the media, or heard through the grape vine).
* new observations of the activities of shepherds, smugglers and other parties, especially as it concerns the safety of visitors to the Berg.

The purpose of this thread is to maintain a true picture of what is happening in the Berg, to keep a concerned Berg community informed, and to create a healthy awareness of security issues which will help others avoid problems. It is not the intention to create a media hype or undue negative publicity for the Berg, nor to harm tourism the area, and definitely not to create prejudice against the Basotho and other locals living in the area. The traits that lead to crime and other security- related incidents in the Berg are traits that are common to human nature in general and are not tied to a specific culture or nation.

We advise visitors to the Berg to take the security issues seriously - but rather than being alarmed and avoiding going there, we want people to be informed on what the issues are exactly and how they occur - and to make decisions accordingly. We want people to keep hiking in the Berg.

We also encourage people to appreciate the cultures of the local people that can be encountered in the Berg and even to learn some local words and phrases. Wherever possible let your encounters with the locals be friendly and interactive. Many encounters can be very rewarding. If you do find yourself in a tense situation, do your utmost to maintain respect and stay calm. Some helpful notes on Basotho culture have been written for hikers and travellers .

For a complete list of historical Berg Alert threads running since 2008, please see  this link .

Known, relevant issues during recent years:

Mzimude / Walker's Peak area: A very serious incident occurred in 2023 in which two hikers on a Grand Traverse were brutally attacked and robbed of some gear. The incident occurred during the day while they were hiking, whereas many previous incidents of this nature have happened at night. This is the first security incident in this part of the Berg that we are aware since the start of Berg Alert in 2008.

Amphitheatre and Khubedu Valley: Raiding of tents at the Tugela Falls and surrounds in an old issue which is ongoing. Intimidation for handouts also occurs in the area, including the Chain Ladders, which has been known to result in stone-throwing. There was a nasty incident in the Khubedu Valley during 2016 which received a lot of publicity - the details of this incident can be read on  this thread . There have been reports of hikers encountering individuals from the Lesotho Defence Force in the area, who sometimes ask to see passports, and there have also been cases where the hikers were harassed by them. The last reported incident of this nature was around 2019. Hikers venturing onto the escarpment may want to carry their passports on them.

Mbundini area: tented camps have been attacked and raided at night, particularly at the unmarked pass overlooking Madonna And Her Worshippers, near Rat Hole Cave. The last reported incident occurred in 2018. Hopefully this trend will quieten down, but we are leaving this warning here for some time still because of the serious nature of these incidents which could still happen again. Security problems in the Berg can persist in a specific area over a very long period of time, albeit at a low incidence rate.

Ntonjelana Pass: during the December 2018-January 2019 period two different hiking groups encountered a group of 3 armed individuals claiming to be from the Lesotho Defence Force in the general escarpment area near the top of Ntonjelana Pass.

Rhino Peak / Mashai Pass / Bollard Pass: Periodically we hear reports of intimidation and rock throwing by shepherds. The most recent incident was reported in 2021.

Giants Pass (Giants Castle): In 2021 a group was chased from their tents by gunshot and their tents were raided. This area went through a troubling period between ~2004-2008 and had been relatively quiet until this recent incident.

Road to Injisuthi: Youths on the side of the road may beg for handouts. Road blockages may sometimes be set up in order to compel motorists to stop, at which they may be harassed for handouts. This seems to occur particularly at the cattle grid. These are long standing issues which are ongoing. Incidents were reported in 2022. We are not certain if anything happened during 2023. There have been reports of stones being thrown at cars when handouts are not received.

For more information read through General Security Precautions , and also read this post on the security issues around the Amphitheatre as well as the Mbundini area - included is a map indicating where the problems are occurring.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2024 19:59 by intrepid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2024 15:59 - 12 Mar 2024 15:59 #78928 by TheRealDave
Replied by TheRealDave on topic Berg Alert 2024
On Sunday, 10 March, Tony Marshall and I spent the night in Yellowwood Cave at Lotheni, having descended Ka-Masihlenga Pass that day. The cave is in a forest about 30m from the river and maybe 10m higher than it. At about 8 p.m. I noticed a faint light in the trees, what I thought were fireflies; then I saw a headlamp moving through the riverbed; then we heard indigenous voices and a pack of dogs. We had already fallen silent, but the dogs were particularly surprising and alarming. We could hear the crack of sticks as they moved through the forest, and when the headlamp started shining up at the cave through the trees, it appeared they were approaching. We had no idea who these people were, what they wanted, whether we had been followed, and so on, and felt very nervous. I now always carry pepper spray and readied it. The dogs then started barking a lot, perhaps because they smelt our scent on the path. After that the light faded, and all went dark and quiet. About 15 mins later the dogs let off another volley of barking, which sounded somewhat more distant but still nearby. Then all went quiet again. Unsettled and worried, we mulled over the situation and decided to take shifts during the night. There was no further activity during the night, except for a distant jackal howl. Before dawn I noticed a headlamp high on the opposite hill, and soon thereafter we saw another dim headlamp moving up the riverbed directly across from the cave. After packing up, we walked down the path through the forest and, shortly before it crosses the river, found a large ash-pile with a log still aflame.

The dogs suggest hunters or poachers, but we couldn’t fathom what they were doing in the Ka-Masihlenga valley: the long riverbed took us several hours of boulder-hopping to descend in daylight, and the pass itself is quite steep and tough going on thickly-tufted side slopes, with no signs of use. One theory is that they descended Redi Pass; looped round on the Eagle Trail looking for game (we ourselves saw rhebok when hiking out that way the next morning); spent the night; exited the Ka-Masihlenga riverbed shortly after Yellowwood Cave (as the headlamp on the slope suggests); then contoured round and returned via Redi Pass. (It is also possible that they were South African poachers who had come up into the Berg from the nearby settlements.) We had seen several spoor in the Ka-Masihlenga riverbed sand on our descent, and, as Tony pointed out, it may be that they explore the less frequented valleys because that is where the game is to be found. Another factor is that Lotheni is not much visited generally. We were the only overnight hikers there that weekend and in fact were the only overnight hikers in the entire mountain register.

We reported the incident to the officers present on our return. I have also reported it in writing to the Lotheni Conservation Manager. Whether action will result, we will see. It is worth reflecting that whoever it was likely suspected the cave was occupied and chose to keep to themselves, and this kind of avoidance is probably typical of most poachers and smugglers, for obvious reasons. But, as always, be aware that there are various visitors in the Berg, and remember to take precautions.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2024 15:59 by TheRealDave. Reason: Formatting

More
18 Mar 2024 10:00 #78940 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Berg Alert 2024
The poaching in that area is ongoing and the poachers come down Lotheni, eNtubeni and Ka Masihlenga passes, in fact the whole Drakensberg Park is their poaching ground. Those areas are most probably very rarely patrolled, so poachers will continually be around in those type of remote, unpatrolled areas. We do live in Africa, so poaching is very normal for food harvesting and a type of sport for them as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealDave

More
19 Mar 2024 10:28 #78944 by Willsy
Replied by Willsy on topic Berg Alert 2024
Talking of poaching and as a heads up to anyone heading into that general area.

On the 10th March, around 16:00, while descending towards Hole In The Wall, in the Cobham area. I stumbled upon a group of 5 to 8 men and 10 to 15 dogs. 
From my experience they appeared to be a hunting party, with the dogs being spread out across the valley and visibly agitated.

When the men spotted me, they recalled their dogs and climbed back up the valley in a northerly direction towards the Hub.

As I had gone up and down Musubasuba pass in the Giants Cup that day, and the only tracks I noticed were mine, I assumed the group may have come from a different area or had been operating in the area for some time.

I never felt threatened by the group, nor did they seem hostile, but there was a fair bit of distance between myself and them, so who knows.

I reported the incident & location to the park manager, who replied promptly and constructively.

This is the first time in three years of hiking the berg I've come across possible poachers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JonWells, DeonS, gablair, TheRealDave

More
02 Apr 2024 08:29 #78962 by Philipj
Replied by Philipj on topic Berg Alert 2024
We ran into some hikers on Friday (29 Mar 2024) coming down from Mafadi and they had been attacked while sleeping in Upper Injisuthi the previous night. Apperently their shoes, pants etc. was stolen and they we pelted with rocks from above the cave when they attempted to pursue the thiefs. Thay said that there were fairly big rocks thrown. They deffinately seemed fairly shaken and they were busy hiking out in Crocs when we found them at Marble baths.

More
02 Apr 2024 08:46 #78964 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Berg Alert 2024

We ran into some hikers on Friday (29 Mar 2024) coming down from Mafadi and they had been attacked while sleeping in Upper Injisuthi the previous night. Apperently their shoes, pants etc. was stolen and they we pelted with rocks from above the cave when they attempted to pursue the thiefs. Thay said that there were fairly big rocks thrown. They deffinately seemed fairly shaken and they were busy hiking out in Crocs when we found them at Marble baths.
Were they attacked in Upper Injisuthi cave?!
We stayed there on Friday night, and another group were tenting close by too.

More
02 Apr 2024 10:00 - 02 Apr 2024 10:44 #78965 by supertramp
Replied by supertramp on topic Berg Alert 2024

Were they attacked in Upper Injisuthi cave?!
We stayed there on Friday night, and another group were tenting close by too.
Wow, that is simply shocking! My wife and I were the group camping close by on Friday night. There were so many hiking groups doing the Mafadi loop (Corners/Judges & Leslies) over the Easter Weekend. I am surprised that not a word of this was mentioned by the staff at Injisuthi Camp? But then again, if I understand correctly the attack must then have happened on Thursday night and the group returned to Injisuthi Camp by late Friday? Most hiking groups probably started their hikes on Friday. Yet, no queries were made when we signed out the register on Monday...

I was however surprised by the sheer number of shepherd encounters we had between Corners & Grays but all engagements were super friendly (as always). No suspected smugglers/poachers were noted. 
Last edit: 02 Apr 2024 10:44 by supertramp.

More
02 Apr 2024 13:57 #78968 by Edwin128
Replied by Edwin128 on topic Berg Alert 2024
That is surprising, this cave a bit far from the main trail and quite secluded.

More
02 Apr 2024 14:17 - 02 Apr 2024 14:18 #78969 by Philipj
Replied by Philipj on topic Berg Alert 2024
From my understanding the attack took place on Thursday. They said that they ran into a lot of shepards on the way to the cave. I think they ended up walking out on Saturday. We left two of them at Marble baths early on Saturday morning. They were still waiting for the rest of their group that was further down the valley towards Lesleys.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2024 14:18 by Philipj.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supertramp

More
02 Apr 2024 14:30 #78970 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Berg Alert 2024

From my understanding the attack took place on Thursday. They said that they ran into a lot of shepards on the way to the cave. I think they ended up walking out on Saturday. We left two of them at Marble baths early on Saturday morning. They were still waiting for the rest of their group that was further down the valley towards Lesleys.
ok thanks. We also saw 10 or 15 shepherds in the valley behind Judge/Corner pass on the Friday afternoon, it was very busy! Cows, horses, sheep, dogs (dogs chasing cows around and vice versa), and a guided group of 15 from "Drakensberg Hiker" was tenting there.
Overall we must've seen well over 50 Basothos (although we did go through the Jarateng valley), with no issues

More